The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming it's a fault that shows up at start. I had one tied to a bad DBW pedal assembly and it would turn back on during driving. Around here, they also seem to start/shut off/restart the car at least once.

In CO they used to do a gas cap pressure check with the emissions test, so even if you clear the code the car still has to pass their test. Not sure if they still do.

In NC, you have to have 300 miles recorded by the ECU after a service light for them to retest. Keeps people from rolling it in and clearing the codes.
The trick around that is that codes are generated with 3 consecutive faults at start. You can clear the codes and drive 300 miles without stopping and the codes wouldn't regenerate.
instead of driving for 5 hours and spend $50 on gas, buy a new gas cap? ;)

One might say that your valve cover should be tighter that just hand tight, if you want to avoid a leaky valve cover

One might say that your valve cover should be tighter that just hand tight, if you want to avoid a leaky valve cover

Allegedly.

I usually see the opposite. Valve cover bolts cranked down to high hell, warping the stamped steel or aluminum flanges so that they will never seal again.

well, mine is leaking pretty good. So upon inspecting it I saw that I could get at least 3/4 turn to make it nicely hand tight. So we'll see if that slows it up. **** thing looks like it's overheating every time I shut it off from the amount of oil getting splattered on the block.

They should be tightened to a specific torque. Check the user manual for the car, it might list the torque.

true, but Supe is correct. Over torquing them will result in an uneven seat with the head, or if they are plastic, they will crack.

STI - 20-something male

Really? no, I actually look at these every time it's time to get a new car. I came close to getting one of the 3rd generation ones back in the late 90's but ugh those headlights were ugly. Considered it again when I got out of college in 2003ish (those ones were much nicer looking) but opted for the SUV... upstate ny isn't conducive to many sporty type cars so subarus don't act much as a status symbol around there (at least where I was living)

I know two people who own STIs. The first is a 20-something male and the other is a late 30s female.

I know two people who own STIs. The first is a 20-something male and the other is a late 30s female.

HA HA- then I guess CSB is good and the fact that I like them isn't too far off?

Personally I like the Toyota Celica just as much... but good luck finding one of those

Last edited by a moderator:

HA HA- then I guess CSB is good and the fact that I like them isn't too far off?

Personally I like the Toyota Celica just as much... but good luck finding one of those

But I was looking at the Outback.

Which means you can hit on me!

And why has there not been a Subaru Outback - Doc Martin Edition yet?

^^LOL

broken lug nut studs can make the wheel fall off and only makes a bad noise for a short time before it happens... (or so I'm told by the family member that had this happen)
I can vouch. Happened to me.

Twice.

the tire place told me it was the wheel bearing going bad and recommended a few places but there are some significant things going on right now where I can't give up the car for even a day so I was just wondering if I could make it through another two or three weeks (the way they talked was no)

Back