Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd rant of the day:

Got an email from the PM of the landscaping company that is contracted to install our back patio stating that he won't be able to start work on June 4th as originally promised and that the start date will be pushed back to the 18th. No reason was given as to why other than he can't meet the promised date.

We gave him a deposit back on April 5th at which time he said that the LATEST he would start would be the 4th, but would most likely start sooner. We have already paid him for the materials (so he could order them). This is the 2nd time he over-promised and under-delivered, and we're only on the paperwork/scheduling side of things. I really hope this trend doesn't roll into the quality of the work...

welcome to my world...this is why we are DIY people...too many times we have tried to get a contractor to do something and it TAKES FOREVER. Still waiting on the siding company to replace the broken pieces of siding from the hail storm that damaged the house LAST (2011) Memorial Day weekend. They got the roof replaced in the early winter timeframe when there was a heat spell.

I'm typically a DIY'er, but I also know what I can/should do around the house. All I hired these guys to do is to install a paver patio, with a natural gas stub for a grill, and a gas firepit. I will be doing all of the irrigation stuff, sod, trees, plants, etc.

So far, my contractors have done tile, crown, drywall, and some paint/primer, and I have yet to pay them a dime.

After about 15 minutes of me yelling at the contractor, he agreed to come out on Tuesday to get started. He tried to blame weather days as the cause for his delay, but I shot that out of the water by saying I do construction management and our crews only had a couple weather days and when they do, they end up working Saturdays to get back on schedule.

So far, my contractors have done tile, crown, drywall, and some paint/primer, and I have yet to pay them a dime.
Those guys put a new roof on my house and re-sided about half of it without me paying them a thing.
He should be climbing up on my roof soon enough to give me the estimate. They're coming by tomorrow to grout and bring the shower door guy by.

Dex: Don't you love that? Not to mention, unless there was ice in the building or lightning, they don't shut the sites down rain or shine.

Since it's landscaping in small areas for very picky homeowners, I can understand limiting the work under rainy/wet conditions. But with that being said, we live in CO which has over 300 sunny days a year and the fact we're experiencing a drier than normal spring season, his argument is invalid.

104824_700b.jpg

For my 400th post, I'm going to bitch about a contractor that we had come quote two bathroom remodels. Admittedly, the master bathroom remodel was a little ambitious...but he quoted 15K for a fixture replace in the other bathroom, and 25-35K for the master bathroom. No effing way am I paying for that.

I am tired, got home late from the gym and went to mess with the pool before I mowed the yard and it is now green, and the stupid salt filter thing was giving me a low flow error, so I changed the filter in the pump, mis-threaded the lid and got that stuck, and after messing with it for a while, txted a friend for advice. She suggested the butter knife trick and when I proceeded to crack the butter knife (yes I said crack the butter kinfe) her and her hubby drove over to help me out and have now just left. I am smelly from working out, I am smelly from green pool water, and I have been up since 4:30 am and think delirum is begining to set in and I can't remember if I ate dinner. sigh... and I did not get the grass mowed

...and as I was about to click post, I could tell that whatever I did eat last was not a good idea, tried to rush to the bathroom, tripped over the dogs and proceeded to throw up in the kitchen sink.... gross, now I have to clean the freaking kitchen.

The next time some arrogant d-bag sends me an email that begins with "Gentlemen", I'm going to respond with one that addresses the recipients as "you ladies". Oh the joys of having an ethnic, gender-vague legal name.

^ I am. You see, during ovulation, a woman's only goal is to get pregnant. And during menses, she is sad that she has failed.

Back