Will my PE license be in jeopardy if I take an extended maternity leave (5+ years)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I understand that I need to submit renewal applications and do continuing education, but is there a part of the renewal that requires you to be actively working as an engineer to maintain your license? I just got my PE, I also just had a baby and am pregnant again (!). I’m happy to take an extended leave as my husband is also an engineer and can support us, but I hate to think my license will disappear if I’m not working for 5+ years.

You should check with your state board where you are licensed, but as far as I am aware, the only requirement (at least in my state) is that you pay the fee and get the required continuing education credits. It's not like they have any way of tracking whether or not you are stamping drawings. If you have an NCEES record for licensure in future states, you will probably need to update that with an explanation of why you were not actively working. But a think motherhood seems to be a valid reason.

Back