SE April 2022 Exam Results Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s my theory on scoring although it only applies to buildings. Each AM correct answer is worth 1 point for a total of 40 points in the AM. In the afternoon there are a total of 40 available points also. 10 points for an A, 5 for an IR, an 0 for a UA.
You need a total of 70% to pass or a 56 out of 80.
I took the vertical 3 times before I passed and am on my 4th lateral attempt so I’ve followed these threads for quite some time and I have yet to see anyone with a 56 or above receive their scores.
Those of you that had 30/40 in the AM and a A,A,IR,U got a 55. So you were one point away.
just a Theory but I have yet to be disproven
The general rule is any U on the afternoon is an auto fail. 27 questions in the morning is the minimum required to pass overall. There will be some wiggle room with 2As and 2RIs. But That number system seems to be a great way to interoperate what is going on here.

I just talked to the Nevada board. They said that NCEES emails them for confirmation, once the board says yes, it's on NCEES to update our account. NV board said that they have already okayed the result release. So NCEES needs to update our account with the result.
does this mean it either happens by 5pm ET or it's getting posted tomorrow?

does this mean it either happens by 5pm ET or it's getting posted tomorrow?
They said, "keep checking the NCEES account." 😅 also said that it would be today, and shouldn't take until tomorrow.

My guess is we should receive it by 4-5 pm today. All the people who got their results so far are in eastern time.

The general rule is any U on the afternoon is an auto fail. 27 questions in the morning is the minimum required to pass overall. There will be some wiggle room with 2As and 2RIs. But That number system seems to be a great way to interoperate what is going on here.
I refuse to accept that a single UA in the afternoon is an automatic fail. Say you get 35 in the AM and 3 A’s and a UA in the afternoon. By my theorized scoring system that’s a 65/80 or a 81%. There’s no way they can fail you with that score. I think it’s just that a single UA is very hard to overcome.

I refuse to accept that a single UA in the afternoon is an automatic fail. Say you get 35 in the AM and 3 A’s and a UA in the afternoon. By my theorized scoring system that’s a 65/80 or a 81%. There’s no way they can fail you with that score. I think it’s just that a single UA is very hard to overcome.
We are being tested on our ability to stamp a set of drawings with people's safety in jeopardy. In the eyes of NCEES unacceptable means you don't get to stamp stuff. Harsh, but that is how they set it up. That is why this test is so hard, and most people don't get that. It is difficult to explain to non-engineer friends and family just how stressful this testing cycle is.

@TheCraic , I think you're onto something here. To add a few more data points here's my last (3) Lateral Buildings attempts:

19/40 IR / A / A / IR = 49/80 (61%)
31/40 IR / IR / IR / IR = 51/80 (64%)
21/50 A / U / A / IR = 46/80 (58%)

We are being tested on our ability to stamp a set of drawings with people's safety in jeopardy. In the eyes of NCEES unacceptable means you don't get to stamp stuff. Harsh, but that is how they set it up. That is why this test is so hard, and most people don't get that. It is difficult to explain to non-engineer friends and family just how stressful this testing cycle is.
Then why not apply that same logic to the PE exam? As far as I know, you could bomb a section and still pass if you meet the acceptable score.

Then why not apply that same logic to the PE exam? As far as I know, you could bomb a section and still pass if you meet the acceptable score.
SE is just a higher standard. That is why states like mine (Georgia) have made it to where if you want to stamp anything larger than a 1500 sf residential home you need a SE.

To some extent. But there’s also a code of ethics that we each are required to adhere to per our state laws. We’re expected to ethically abstain from being the PIC on a project that we’re not an expert in. In reality, it’s insanely difficult to be an expert on wood, steel, masonry and concrete and in practice most typically focus on one or two of those aspects. NCEES isn’t the ones who get to decide who can stamp something. The state engineering boards are.

SE is just a higher standard. That is why states like mine (Georgia) have made it to where if you want to stamp anything larger than a 1500 sf residential home you need a SE.
Where does this come from? SE for sf 2000 single family ? I don’t remember anything like that when I was reading GA statues about SE.

Where does this come from? SE for sf 2000 single family ? I don’t remember anything like that when I was reading GA statues about SE.
Wasn't being exact, but the point is in GA if you want to stamp anything bigger than a typical small residential you need an SE. SE is required for designated structures, defined as:

100,000 SF
RC III
Building ratio greater than 7:1

Some states don't care, but SE is becoming the standard.

Wasn't being exact, but the point is in GA if you want to stamp anything bigger than a typical small residential you need an SE. SE is required for designated structures, defined as:

100,000 SF
RC III

I think the SE process is unnecessarily stressful, but I am also in favor of requiring some kind of licensure beyond PE. The idea that a PE can stamp any building in a lot of states is wild to me.

@TheCraic , I think you're onto something here. To add a few more data points here's my last (3) Lateral Buildings attempts:

19/40 IR / A / A / IR = 49/80 (61%)
31/40 IR / IR / IR / IR = 51/80 (64%)
21/50 A / U / A / IR = 46/80 (58%)
Yep. Like I said the highest I’ve ever seen someone be able to report is a 55. My last two lateral attempts I got a 54 on each. It’s absolutely maddening.

100,000 SF
RC III

Thanks for clarifying. I thought I missed some changes in GA laws…

Back