Review Course Pass/Fail

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
School of PE was recommended to me by an Environmental Engineer at the company I work for. He indicated that he passed on the first attempt almost exclusively using their material.I took the Mech TFS exam and can say that although SoPE did not cover every aspect of the exam, taking their coarse greatly lessened my prep time from about 1 year to roughly 4 months.

I took the on demand option to fit my hectic work schedule and then gave myself roughly two months to review and rework all of their practice questions about 2-3 times over. Taking the on demand option also provided me sufficient time to properly tab my reference materials. 

In addition to the review course....

Two weeks before the exam, I took the Lindeburg practice exam under exam conditions [finished in 8 hrs and guessed a few answers; scored 60%] and spent the next two days working through troublesome questions.

Then I took the NCEES practice exam under exam conditions [finished between 5-6 hrs and scored 88%]. 

I passed with 95% on my first attempt [...to those unaware, Texas releases exam scores]. I completed the morning session in about 2.5 hrs, which gave me enough time to revisit questions for which I was uncertain of/unfamiliar with. Completed my first pass through the afternoon questions in 3 hrs. Spent the last hour revisiting quite a few questions.

The following references were used during the actual exam:

1. Lindeburg Reference Manual [for unit conversions, tables and appendices]
  2. Lindeburg Quick Reference for formulas
  3. Cameron Hydraulic data book [for at least 3 questions; though I have the greatest certainty that I got one of those wrong due to a foolish error on my part]
  4. School of PE Notes [used exclusively for HVAC]
...for what its worth...
Good lord you got done quick. I thought I was badass when I finished the morning with 35 minutes to spare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I took the Mechanical PE Online course from PPI - passed on my first attempt (I took Thermal Fluids afternoon). The course was key to me passing ... at least that's how I feel about it. 

Good lord you got done quick. I thought I was badass when I finished the morning with 35 minutes to spare.

Exams give me a bit of an adrenaline rush. I know...its really pathetic on my part.

Did you take the live seminars on on-demand. I'm leaning towards taking the EET
I took the on demand. I highly recommend EET. This was my third time taking the exam and passed it due to EET. The time I took Testmasters and failed b/c they just do a brunch of review problems. EET actually reviews/ teaches topics and also give you review problems and practice quizzes. Even though I signed up for the on demand course, the instructors where open to answering any question I had by email.

I took school of PE and passed, geotech.

For me, the value of the course was 50% content and 50% structure to my preparation.

Regarding the content, I found all but the structural section to be put together really well.

I did the videos at home.  This gave me some concrete action to take every day after work (watch the videos, take notes).  Really got me in a groove.

So my formula was: school of pe + lindeburg practice exam (in parts), + goswami practice exam (brutal and illogical but keeps you on your toes) + ncees practice exam (hopefully a confidence boost).

EET

WRE

Passed 1st Try

EET is hands down the way to go. Breadth and depth courses were great. I mainly used their 2 giant notebooks during the exam and only had to open the CERM for 2 or 3 questions. The course is also much more comprehensive and affordable than School of PE and Testmasters. Thank you EET!!!

I had to take the test more than once. The first time I used PPI. The instructor for the morning session was good but the instructor for the PM session was horrible. He practically read us the book that was not much different than the breadth section book. This October I passed and I took the EET course for the afternoon session, WRE. Nazrul is a GREAT instructor. He has done a lot of research on the test and passes that information on to you. The binder he gives is so comprehensive and easy to understand. I would recommend his class over any other, hands down.

EET

STRUCTURAL

PASSED 1ST TRY

EET was great for both the breadth and depth. I did also study many hours outside of the course (doing practice exam problems) but it was the class by EET that led to my passing. I highly recommend them for the civil structural courses. I mainly used the EET binders that they provide for the test, only used code books for a few questions otherwise. Since I have been out of school for over 6 years I had a lot to learn or relearn and these classes did a great job.

ASCE review course was offered free through my office, did them on-demand, 2 - 2 hr classes per week covering each topic, only 2 - 2 hr sessions for the depth portions but honestly they did a good job of covering nearly every topic.  If you are going to pay for a course then I may go with something else (everyone here seems to rave about EET) but I think the ASCE course was fine. Outside of the courses I studied mostly on weekends (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) for approx 10 hrs and maybe 4 hrs or so during the week.  I used a lot of practice exams and Lindeburg's big book of practice questions.

Civil - Transportation

PASSED first try!!!!!!!!!!

Passed.

School of PE and self studied.

Civil Structural

Like many others here, S. Of PE is great for morning but not enough for the depth exam.  Their organization in the depth topics wasn't good.

Want to add that I studied very intensely for 4 weeks.  Thought I did very near perfect in the morning but could only finish 25/40 questions in the afternoon.  I simply ran out of energy during the afternoon exam due to 3-4 hours of sleep the night before (last minute study).  I recommend everyone to be well prepared for the test and don't make a mistake like me.  The morning session really did save the day for me.

Civil Structural Depth - Passed

I self studied for the exam. I borrowed Testmaster's notes from a colleague for bulk of my reading. I started studying from CERM (Lindeburg book), but didn't enjoy reading it. The CERM contains all the information you need for PE (except for timber design!) but I felt that the descriptions and explanations were not sufficient. I found that the Testmaster's notes to be more than acceptable for both sections of the exam. Solving example problems from the Testmaster's notes proved to be very helpful. Regardless, I highlighted and tabbed all the relevant information in the CERM (it is very handy for mensuration, shear force and bending moment formulas and unit conversions). These were the two resources that I relied on for my exam prep (other than structural codes etc). What helped me the most was solving every possible example test that I could lay my hands on. Particularly, the practice tests by Indranil Goswami were the ones that really helped me in understanding my level of preparation. I would also highly recommend solving the NCEES practice test before your exam.

Congratulations to everyone who passed... and better luck next time for those who didn't!

Civil/Structural - Passed - Self Study (Practice Exams Only) - 2nd Attempt

Failed in April with 52/80. I ran out of time in the afternoon by not working the easier questions first. 

I actually felt better about my failed April attempt than October, so I guess there is a reason everyone says to skip questions. 

Hold your head up and try again if you failed. Congrats to all of those who passed. 

Villa Nova for Power Electrical

Even though it is WAY more in depth than needed (does more than cover power) I definitely recommended it especially if you do not have an electrical background

also, the jewish teacher is hilarious. I love how dorky he is.

the course is cheaper AND I think they have a real pass guarantee. The other ones, like testmasters, has a shitty guarantee which allows you to retake the course if you fail the test. WTF?

SFPE review course

Fire

Pass

Some of the presentations were good...several horrible for 1500 but at least Im done.

Myer's book is excellent , think you could pass w/o class if you prepared well and had his book.

EET, Civil WRE, Pass

I took both the breadth and the WRE depth from EET and the lectures/binders were invaluable. I didn't open any other books during the exam. If you complete all the problems given by the instructors you will have no problems with the exam.

EET, Civil WRE, PassI took both the breadth and the WRE depth from EET and the lectures/binders were invaluable. I didn't open any other books during the exam. If you complete all the problems given by the instructors you will have no problems with the exam.
I had the same experience. I only brought the binders provided by the coarse and a binder I put together with reference tables.

Latest posts

Back