Review Course Pass/Fail

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power - Passed 1st attempt, 10 years out of college.

No review course taken.

1.) Researched and compiled extensive notes for every topic on NCEES exam specification

2.) Took and timed practice test from NCEES

3.) Added notes to compilation for every piece/part of practice exam that I misunderstood or solved incorrectly

4.) Repeated steps 2 and 3 for four more practice exams

5.) Re-took each practice exam

I felt like I was about 75% correct the morning session of the exam and 90%+ correct on the afternoon session.

Great to hear the class worked out for you too! I have complaints about the class but now I don't really care to elaborate since it worked out in the end. I had the WRE depth and felt like that was the portion of the class with the weakest instructor / notes. In the end it the notes really had almost everything I needed besides maybe 2 theory questions.

I thought the transportation instructor was good because he was engaging, not sure how the depth portion went there for you but for the AM session it was all i needed.
Yeah, my colleagues and I all agreed the WRE instructor of Testmasters was lacking. However, we all passed, and I know of at least one other student in the class that passed using the decoupling. Based on what I've heard so far, seems like the class will have a high pass rate. There were some select individuals routinely mocking non structural disciplines during the class. I would love to hear how they fared.  

Yeah, my colleagues and I all agreed the WRE instructor of Testmasters was lacking. However, we all passed, and I know of at least one other student in the class that passed using the decoupling. Based on what I've heard so far, seems like the class will have a high pass rate. There were some select individuals routinely mocking non structural disciplines during the class. I would love to hear how they fared.  
One of my Coworkers was also in the class with us and passed the Construction Management Depth. Testmasters is big in my office, almost everyone here has chosen them for their review course. There are at least 15 people I currently / previously worked with who took Testmasters and passed first attempt. At least 5 others who self studied by borrowing someones old Testmasters binder / notes. Apparently it works.

The structural guys I heard commenting were all taking decoupled with maybe 1 year experience. They still thought they were in college apparently.

For this round exam, I took EET Depth (structural) only.  For breadth, I studied with School of PE material from last (April) class.

EET structural depth class was totally worth it.  I mainly studied their lecture notes and practice problems, almost exclusively. EET lectures cover pretty much everything in exam specs.  I have to say I am practicing structural engineer and I am "familiar" with codes, etc, already.  I just did not have enough time to refresh, organize, and practice to prepare for the exam, and EET did this part for me.

On the other hand, School of PE Structural Depth class "outlines" what to study, and covers very limited part in actual lectures/materials.  While their lecture is not bad at all, it is simply not enough to prepare for the exam. (And the reason to take Exam Prep classes is to prepare for the exam, right?) You have to find your own way to cover rest of it. (And I did not have time to do that in April.)

Speaking of Breadth classes, my guess is any known classes are OK, including School of PE that I took, and maybe EET, too.

One last remark for future exam takers.

I really, really, really, do NOT like CERM. Yes, it is a "must" have book, I don't dispute, and you may want this book with you in the exam room.  As a matter of fact, I looked up this book for a few questions in the morning session, and probably, I got those questions right thanks to this book.  But study with it? I tried, tried, and tried, and finally gave up. Class materials are a WAY better way to prepare for the exam (at least for me).

Many people in this board mentioned that they studied only CERM for breadth and passed. Definitely it worked for them. Not for me.  Please take this as just one man's opinion.
I did the ASCE prep session for breadth and EET structural depth.  I would also highly recommend EET's course.

Testmasters - Failed.  1st Attempt.

EET civil - Geotech. passed-  second try!!!

EET is the way to go! 

School of PE, power, failed. Sope may OK for other disciplines, but sucks for power. 

Dr. Tom's Classroom

Mechanical Discipline - Thermal Fluid Systems

Passed, I would recommend this course for anyone taking thermal fluids. It would probably help to a degree for those taking HVAC, although he does not focus on it.

He also offers Mechanical: Machine Design and Civil but I can give no feedback on those.
I took Dr. Tom's mechanical, machine design course and was really happy with it. I felt pretty darn-well prepped. However, I'm in CA and don't know whether I passed or no. Ahhhhh!

PE exam ( Civil / Structural depth). Passed from first try with no experience at 23 years old.

It was all self study while pursuing my masters in Structural Engineering. I bought the NCEES practice exam and the CERM and started preparing. I had to study wind, snow loads and timber design (I used SE manual for timber) for the first time since it wasn't covered in my school. Apart from that, I used all the books and notes I took from graduate school and it was really helpful.

I was excited when Texas Board decoupled the experience from the exam and I thought it's worth a try. I focused in the depth section and didn't start preparing for the breadth until the last week. ( That doesn't mean it's a right approach ). 

Thank you all guys and to those who shared their experience in taking the exam. 

I also took EET & I am extremely anxious and scaredc even though it was a great review course... did any of you feel scared and anxious before you found out?

Self Study

EE Power, PASSED.

Graffeo Book, went over it twice. Did all problems twice. This was my bible, my everything.

Complex Imaginary, did all 4 practice test. Watched their YouTube videos at least 5 times each. dissected all the information.

NCEES practice test, repeat at least three times. 

Some Material from school of PE....not very good for Power PE,but excellent for FE electrical.

complete write up coming up

Civil-Structural PASS!!

Self "study"

Second try.

I'm not really sure how I did it. I took some practice exams but I think what helped me the most was hierarchy in test taking. go through and answer questions that require no thought or calculation, then go back through for problems with short easy calcs, then keep progressing that way. 

Congrats to all who passed, and best of luck who those who are yet to pass. Don't give up, you can do it!!!!
Congratulations!! Self study...passed...wonderful! 

I didnt make it this time..Civil-Structural..looks like I was very very close! 

Enjoy your weekend!

Civil - Transportation.

Took a School of PE - failed first time. Prep for the afternoon portion was not that great in my opinion. Morning was OK. I have 2 or 3 problems on the exam right from SoPE notes (and none on next).

Then took EET - am and pm - liked it way better, mainly for better organization which follows the outline of topics.  Got all updated manuals except HSM (the person who let me borrow it needed it back before the exam), did a cheat-sheet with all main/important to me tables from HCM (which helped a lot! there were no need to flip pages, all table were together). Felt not so great in the morning right after exam, but did almost perfect in the afternoon. All problems seemed very easy in the afternoon and I knew where to look for the answer in manuals or how to solve it right the way. Pass this time around. If I were to go back and decided between SoPE and EET, I would pick EET no question.

Congrats to people who passed and best of luck to people who have to go through this again. You will be doing great next time around!

For this round exam, I took EET Depth (structural) only.  For breadth, I studied with School of PE material from last (April) class.

EET structural depth class was totally worth it.  I mainly studied their lecture notes and practice problems, almost exclusively. EET lectures cover pretty much everything in exam specs.  I have to say I am practicing structural engineer and I am "familiar" with codes, etc, already.  I just did not have enough time to refresh, organize, and practice to prepare for the exam, and EET did this part for me.

On the other hand, School of PE Structural Depth class "outlines" what to study, and covers very limited part in actual lectures/materials.  While their lecture is not bad at all, it is simply not enough to prepare for the exam. (And the reason to take Exam Prep classes is to prepare for the exam, right?) You have to find your own way to cover rest of it. (And I did not have time to do that in April.)

Speaking of Breadth classes, my guess is any known classes are OK, including School of PE that I took, and maybe EET, too.

I really, really, really, do NOT like CERM. Yes, it is a "must" have book, I don't dispute, and you may want this book with you in the exam room.  As a matter of fact, I looked up this book for a few questions in the morning session, and probably, I got those questions right thanks to this book.  But study with it? I tried, tried, and tried, and finally gave up. Class materials are a WAY better way to prepare for the exam (at least for me).

Many people in this board mentioned that they studied only CERM for breadth and passed. Definitely it worked for them. Not for me.  Please take this as just one man's opinion.
Thanks for such an indepth response. I self studied the first time around and was not successful so I'm going with a course this time to get this exam taken care of. I'm thinking of going with the full breadth/depth of EET simply because I've heard lackluster things about School of PE's structural depth. Again, thanks!

19 hours ago, joy21 said: For this round exam, I took EET Depth (structural) only.  For breadth, I studied with School of PE material from last (April) class. EET structural depth class was totally worth it.  I mainly studied their lecture notes and practice problems, almost exclusively. EET lectures cover pretty much everything in exam specs.  I have to say I am practicing structural engineer and I am "familiar" with codes, etc, already.  I just did not have enough time to refresh, organize, and practice to prepare for the exam, and EET did this part for me.

Thanks for such an indepth response. I self studied the first time around and was not successful so I'm going with a course this time to get this exam taken care of. I'm thinking of going with the full breadth/depth of EET simply because I've heard lackluster things about School of PE's structural depth. Again, thanks!
EET is a great value and they cover everything that could be on the exam. It is a lot of material but I only needed 2 binders for each exam to pass instead of a giant suitcase of books.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

School of PE was recommended to me by an Environmental Engineer at the company I work for. He indicated that he passed on the first attempt almost exclusively using their material.

I took the Mech TFS exam and can say that although SoPE did not cover every aspect of the exam, taking their coarse greatly lessened my prep time from about 1 year to roughly 4 months.

I took the on demand option to fit my hectic work schedule and then gave myself roughly two months to review and rework all of their practice questions about 2-3 times over. Taking the on demand option also provided me sufficient time to properly tab my reference materials. 

In addition to the review course....

Two weeks before the exam, I took the Lindeburg practice exam under exam conditions [finished in 8 hrs and guessed a few answers; scored 60%] and spent the next two days working through troublesome questions.

Then I took the NCEES practice exam under exam conditions [finished between 5-6 hrs and scored 88%]. 

I passed with 95% on my first attempt [...to those unaware, Texas releases exam scores]. I completed the morning session in about 2.5 hrs, which gave me enough time to revisit questions for which I was uncertain of/unfamiliar with. Completed my first pass through the afternoon questions in 3 hrs. Spent the last hour revisiting quite a few questions.

The following references were used during the actual exam:

1. Lindeburg Reference Manual [for unit conversions, tables and appendices]
  2. Lindeburg Quick Reference for formulas
  3. Cameron Hydraulic data book [for at least 3 questions; though I have the greatest certainty that I got one of those wrong due to a foolish error on my part]
  4. School of PE Notes [used exclusively for HVAC]
...for what its worth...

Back