Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get my company standard $0.70/hr raise, New business cards and now I can promote to an "Advanced" position....... (if one opens up)

10% raise and a "if you get offered better somewhere else we'll see if we can match it."

The last part was took all I could to not quit right there.

10% raise and a "if you get offered better somewhere else we'll see if we can match it."The last part was took all I could to not quit right there.
Uh... at least you are getting a significant raise with an opportunity for an even bigger one. The only sound I hear from my employer is crickets. And they always give me glowing reviews when my semi-annual review comes up.

Just passed the S2 Exam.... Since I'm already a PE, no raise for me.... However, I did get a $100 gift cert to a salon and will be reimbursed the $745 for the test! And I get to keep my job :)

Haven't got my results back yet (took civil/structural exam in CA)...but my employer has a very generous bonus program for professional liscensure: $2500 bonus and $7500 salary increase + reimbursement for expenses related to registering/studying for the exam! Let's hope I passed!!!

Got my results - passed. Since my employer paid for review course and application fees I was not expecting anything mid year. My immediate supervisor is a PE and knows what it takes to get it. No raises last year for anybody. This year I am hoping for something. I can list the PE as an accomplishment at review time. As others have said - when the ax falls hopefully the PE will be some type of protection, or at least be a big leg up on others when looking for something new. It's like anything else you earn (e.g. degree / experience), nobody can take it away.

10% raise and a "if you get offered better somewhere else we'll see if we can match it."The last part was took all I could to not quit right there.
Uh... at least you are getting a significant raise with an opportunity for an even bigger one. The only sound I hear from my employer is crickets. And they always give me glowing reviews when my semi-annual review comes up.
Depending on his current salary, responsibilities, etc., that 10% could be a slap in the face (I know it would be if that's all I was offered...to be honest I'm happier with nothing rather than the insult of a 10% raise right now). The worst part is them explicitly saying they won't give him more unless he takes the time to find a better offer elsewhere. If all they'd do is try to match what someone else would give, I'd just take that new job. It shows a total lack of respect and value for the employee.

Depending on his current salary, responsibilities, etc., that 10% could be a slap in the face (I know it would be if that's all I was offered...to be honest I'm happier with nothing rather than the insult of a 10% raise right now). The worst part is them explicitly saying they won't give him more unless he takes the time to find a better offer elsewhere. If all they'd do is try to match what someone else would give, I'd just take that new job. It shows a total lack of respect and value for the employee.

Been a while since my last post but here is the news.

Sent out about 60+ resumes in mid June. Have had 4 interviews and 2 offer already. I accepted one and the pay in nearly THREE TIMES my current salary even with the 10% raise (which was a slap in the face considering the value of the work I do and the fact that I'm also a project manager). The new position will require relocation but with a boost in income like that it's not a problem, plus the new location is near the ocean and a nicer city.

Just my 2 cents but there are jobs out there for those with skills and experience. You have to be flexible in location and such but in general many employers are looking at the economy as an excuse to screw their people even if the excuse isn't valid. Bottom line is that you have to move on if you want a substantial raise and more importantly for career development.

DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU SHOULD JUST BE HAPPY YOU HAVE A JOB!!!! It's just a ploy to trap you. I'm sure a lot of the people on this board are much more valuable and harder to replace then their boss will lead them to beleive. IMHO

No handshake, no raise ... only a congratulatory email.

Raises get handed out 1 Jan though.

Sent out about 60+ resumes in mid June. Have had 4 interviews and 2 offer already. I accepted one and the pay in nearly THREE TIMES my current salary even with the 10% raise (which was a slap in the face considering the value of the work I do and the fact that I'm also a project manager). The new position will require relocation but with a boost in income like that it's not a problem, plus the new location is near the ocean and a nicer city.

Just my 2 cents but there are jobs out there for those with skills and experience. You have to be flexible in location and such but in general many employers are looking at the economy as an excuse to screw their people even if the excuse isn't valid. Bottom line is that you have to move on if you want a substantial raise and more importantly for career development.

DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU SHOULD JUST BE HAPPY YOU HAVE A JOB!!!! It's just a ploy to trap you. I'm sure a lot of the people on this board are much more valuable and harder to replace then their boss will lead them to beleive. IMHO
That's great! Glad it appears to be working out well for you. How did your employer take the news? Did they see if they can try to match it?

Not that I was expecting a parade or anything, but I didn't even get a "congrats" back from my boss, or even an acknowledgement. I'm mechanical, very few people in my company have their PE's, but I was hoping for a mention in the team meeting. Instead, he congratulated a couple of people who had just reached 5 years with the company, but didn't even mention the fact that I passed the PE.

I did get congrats back from the 3 PEs I had write me letters of recommendation. Other than that, I had a "we kinda expected you would" from someone in management when I told them I passed. I suppose that translates to "congratulations, I know you worked really hard at this"?

That's awesome you were able to get a much better offer! Good motivation for those of us who feel underappreciated in our current employment. I at least expected my employer to discuss why they are not going to give a raise at this time. It's the lack of communication that is frustating. I also just had my five year anniversary and as thanks I received a piece of cake... I'm ectstatic. :bananapowerslide:

Last edited by a moderator:

That's great! Glad it appears to be working out well for you. How did your employer take the news? Did they see if they can try to match it?
Haven't told them yet. I don't start till Nov 1st (gave me enough time to get my affairs in order and relocate).

I know many people say to give 2 weeks notice but what are your thoughts?

They layed off 15 people a few months back and they did it by locking them out of the computers and leaving a note for each that they were having a group meeting where they were told and they had to gather their personal belongings and be out.

Makes me feel like giving them a dose of their own medicine and telling them the day I leave and letting them see how it feels to be blind sided.

What do you guys think?

Haven't told them yet. I don't start till Nov 1st (gave me enough time to get my affairs in order and relocate).I know many people say to give 2 weeks notice but what are your thoughts?

They layed off 15 people a few months back and they did it by locking them out of the computers and leaving a note for each that they were having a group meeting where they were told and they had to gather their personal belongings and be out.

Makes me feel like giving them a dose of their own medicine and telling them the day I leave and letting them see how it feels to be blind sided.

What do you guys think?
It's really not worth the personal satisfaction to leave in a blaze of glory. You will be burning a bridge that may come back to bite you in the future. For instance, if you were to need to get an NCEES Record, you will need employment verification from past employers. If you piss off your current employer, they may be inclined to drag their feet in returning those forms, or even worse, give you a bad review that could hurt your chances of getting the record (or other employment in the future).

That being said, I wouldn't put in your notice until you are 2 weeks or a month from leaving. If you tell them now, you will be the first on the chopping block if they have more layoffs. Or they may just decide that you aren't committed to your job, and fire you.

I agree about just giving the 2 weeks at the proper time. If you told me now that you were leaving at the end of November, I'd just say "just go ahead and go now".

One of the best, and worst, times I've had while employed was years ago as a lame duck employee during a merger / downsizing / layoff at a major utility. I'd taken another job (and preparing to relocate), but had to 'stay' at my current job until a cutoff date if I wanted the severance package (7 months of salary for the package). 6 weeks or more of 2 hour coffee breaks (morning and afternoon), many many half days, and I reached the end of the Internet. There was nothing left to surf. It got really old, having nothing to do. My boss didn't care, his job was eliminated due to the merger/layoff as well. We were just along for the ride.

These days, I don't see a small company going for that. They'd boot you out to get you off the payroll.

SUMMIT

If you have enough money and want to enjoy the summer, tell them now. If they lay you off or fire you for no reason you can collect. Unemployment may not be that much money every two weeks, but if your financial situation isn't bad, it'll be the longest semi-paid vacation of your life.

Your current salary must've been lowwww if your heading to 3x the money. Congrats and good luck

So I'm curious, are people still getting furlough and pay cuts now? Has it picked up for your industry?
I am with a mid-size transportation consulting company, and this industry didn't suffer much. In 2008, I got a $7/hr raise for finishing my engineering school. In 2009, I received an 8 % raise and in 2010, a 10%. And in the last few years, the company hired many PE's from non-transportation fields.

Consultant companies typically make their most profit off of the lower tiered employees (CAD Techs, EIT's, etc), and the more senior guys tend to bill out closer to a break even rate (once you include overhead). They rarely bill out employees at rates where they lose money.
Thank you for sharing this. My company has hired a lot of lower tiered employees and seems to have profitted tremendously. And I realize, even if I get a 10% raise every year, it's going to take a few more years until I get a 40:60 cut.

SUMMIT
If you have enough money and want to enjoy the summer, tell them now. If they lay you off or fire you for no reason you can collect. Unemployment may not be that much money every two weeks, but if your financial situation isn't bad, it'll be the longest semi-paid vacation of your life.

Your current salary must've been lowwww if your heading to 3x the money. Congrats and good luck

Thanks, and yes, my salary was so low that other engineer friends I know were shocked and wondered why I was still there. The reason I was still here was I was waiting on passing my PE exam and when I took the job my wife and I were expecting and I needed something quick. It is so true that the best time to look for a new job is when you already have one. I must admit that I was able to get some good experience at my current job that was key to receiving the offer I accepted so I guess I got something out of it other than just the paycheck.

I guess the reason I'm sharing this with others is that for one it's good to get feedback from those in the biz who understand were I'm coming from but also because I see and hear so many people with jobs feeling hopeless and sounding trapped. While I realize the economy sucks the media and employers are making people feel like "they should just be happy they have a job" if just having a job were all it takes to be happy then why did we all go to school for 4+ years work for another 4+ years and study our asses of "just to have a job". Just my 2 cents though.

Latest posts

Back