Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's look at this perhaps a tad bit differently! Because I am in the engineering/management consulting business, I have lots of different clients in a wide variety of domains. Getting and retaining good people is hard-- it makes no difference what domain or industry you are in. Let me say that again, getting and retaining good people is hard.

Let us assume that you are a good, sharp engineer. If the boss expects you to stamp and sign drawings and work products on behalf of the firm, the firm needs to provide you additional compensation-- more responsibility/liability, more compensation. I suspect, based upon your prior thread posts that will not happen, or if it does, it will be done very begrudingly. Assume that is the case, after some whining, telling you how tough the market is, etc. etc. etc. you get a $1/hour raise. That is not enough for your new found responsibility. Hence, I would begin to shop your resume around and see just how competitive is the market. You may be surprised at how competitive you are and what you are really worth.

It is true that you are going to make more money by switching firms and perhaps, relocating to another part of the country. I think that you have to be ready to A. switch firms and B. relocate elsewhere. Now, that relocation may only be to the other side of town, however, it might be 4 states and 900 miles away as well.

If you are a young engineer, <35 yrs old, I would move and be ready for a new experience! You never know what is around the corner until you go look. Go Look-- it might be a lot different than you imagined. Don't worry about the kids-- kids are adaptable-- expecially little ones-- they will adapt-- make this a real adventure for everyone! If the spouse is tied to your present location or near family, now is the right time to explore a new area and new firm.

At the end of the day, only you can make the final decision. I would shop around, take some interviews and see where else you may go and see another part of the country. This is a great country-- go see it! Now, I am fully aware of the housing situation-- if you are underwater on your house, then we need to regroup and caucus before you make some rash decision.

Of course, the boss may decide that you are too valuable to leave and makes you a hell of an offer that you cannot refuse! That also happens--especially if the boss thinks that trying to find a new employee will be more difficult than retaining you. However, the facts bear out that moving is the way to increase salary, not staying in the present location or with the present employer.

You get a party and cake in your honor?! Haha, due to tradition I get to take my entire teamto a nice restaurant for lunch where I pick up the tab.

Haha. Can't believe you fell for that one. I got an ice cream cake, no raise/promotion. Economy sucks

I got my title changed and new business cards ordered.

I got a 3k bonus (pre-tax) which should cover all the associated costs of the EIT and PE, all within the last year.

For the new year and based on my 2010 performance, I got a $1/hr raise.

My boss is inquiring about the payscale of PEs in our firm to make sure I'm fairly compensated. I doubt I will fall outside of that range (big companies have big ranges). So no bump solely due to PE.

Right now, 5/5 people in our mechanical group are PEs and only one stamps per company rules.

I'm sure marketing now uses my PE, but the firm hasn't changed my role/responsibilities. I have no complaints either. I really like my coworkers and have fallen into a sweet spot as far as my daily responsibilities go.

I will look for a raise when it's right. Right now, I still have some stuff to learn and master before I feel comfortable expecting an increase for what I do and what I want to do.

I got screwed by a few weeks. Accepted a new job ~ Dec 8, 2010 and found out three weeks later that I passed the PE. However, new employer does not have any "adjustments" for getting the PE since it is not even required for the job. It was awkward to ask for $$ the second day at new job but I tried.

But, I had to relocate and that was a priority over $$. I did get ~3% due to switching and will have to be happy with that at least for now with a job. Good Luck to rest of you for getting a raise!!

I work for a national level consulting company with many PEs around the Country. So I do not hope any changes to happen.

I work as a Fire Sprinkler Designer for a Fire Protection Contractor Class II in Fl. I got an 18% raise (from 28 to 33 $/hr) not including OT, or mileage. Plus when I get my PE # and Seal get paid per signed plans and documents the same amount that they are paying now to outside the company PE (I don’t know how much is it yet).

My ride with my company has been a long one (and my only experience in this country!).

I don’t have any others references (that’s why I really enjoy this website).

I started with them in 2003 at $10/hr as a CAD drafter fresh out of Cuba (over there I was an HVAC Project Engineer for 6 years making $20 per month!!!) so I was very happy and very thankful for my first job! I have climbed the ladder step by step from there $12.5/hr, $15/hr, $17/hr, $22/hr, $25/hr, $27/hr, $25.62/hr (5% reduction due to economy in Jan 2009), $28/hr in Jan 2010 (after passing my FE in Oct.2009) and the $33/hr in Jan 2011 (after passing the PE in Oct.2010).

I have got my NICET I, II and III certificates (I passed all the elements for level IV but have to wait until 2013 to get my 10 years of experience).

I have also a Class II Fire Protection Contractor License for the state of Fl.

So even though I’m pretty sure that I could do better in other places I’m very happy where I’m right now (I live 6 miles away from the beach!!!, excellent weather all year round, no state taxes, etc). I will stay with my company for at least a few years letting them enjoy my success (and giving the economy some time to recover!) and then probably open my own shop (and start cutting the cheese myself!).

Good luck to everyone!

Don’t take anything for granted and always keep working on improve yourself!.

I work as a Fire Sprinkler Designer for a Fire Protection Contractor Class II in Fl. I got an 18% raise (from 28 to 33 $/hr) not including OT, or mileage. Plus when I get my PE # and Seal get paid per signed plans and documents the same amount that they are paying now to outside the company PE (I don’t know how much is it yet).My ride with my company has been a long one (and my only experience in this country!).

I started with them in 2003 at $10/hr as a CAD drafter fresh out of Cuba (over there I was an HVAC Project Engineer for 6 years making $20 per month!!!) so I was very happy and very thankful for my first job! I have climbed the ladder step by step from there $12.5/hr, $15/hr, $17/hr, $22/hr, $25/hr, $27/hr, $25.62/hr (5% reduction due to economy in Jan 2009), $28/hr in Jan 2010 (after passing my FE in Oct.2009) and the $33/hr in Jan 2011 (after passing the PE in Oct.2010).

I have got my NICET I, II and III certificates (I passed all the elements for level IV but have to wait until 2013 to get my 10 years of experience).

So even though I’m pretty sure that I could do better in other places I’m very happy where I’m right now (I live 6 miles away from the beach!!!, excellent weather all year round, no state taxes, etc). I will stay with my company for at least a few years letting them enjoy my success (and giving the economy some time to recover!) and then probably open my own shop (and start cutting the cheese myself!).

Good luck to everyone!

That's great, congrats on all your success.

Out of curiosity, what does $20 a month get you in Cuba? What's considered a "good" wage there?

I work as a Fire Sprinkler Designer for a Fire Protection Contractor Class II in Fl. I got an 18% raise (from 28 to 33 $/hr) not including OT, or mileage. Plus when I get my PE # and Seal get paid per signed plans and documents the same amount that they are paying now to outside the company PE (I don’t know how much is it yet).My ride with my company has been a long one (and my only experience in this country!).

Good luck to everyone!

That's great, congrats on all your success.

Out of curiosity, what does $20 a month get you in Cuba? What's considered a "good" wage there?
Well that was a while ago and since then things had change a little but not too much (I think that now you make $40/month! as an engineer).

Cuba situation it a whole different monster, there is no way that I could explain that in a few posts (it would take a bottle of rum, a few cigars, some salsa music and a lot of talking!!).

But just my case, Nuclear Engineer living with my mother, wife and daughter (small 2x1 apartment, 5th floor no elevator), riding a bicycle as mean of transportation, no bank account, no credit cards, no future!.

My salary was above average at that time!

started with a shared box of doughnuts for multiple reasons... a birthday, my passed pe exam, and an anniversary. After a few weeks I recently got my number and the company did purchase my seal (and actually got a stamp too without requesting it). When it came in I had just opened the box and had it out on my desk. My boos said nothing which is unusual since he notices everything. A few days later he did mention to me while we were enroute to a meeting together that he put in for a bump in pay. Did not specify an amount and I doubt the corporate office will award what he asked for. The only raises for 3 years have been for new credentials such as PE status and even those have been much lower and slower to be awarded than in the past.

I agree with parts of the happy to have a job bit, but at the same time this has always been and always will be a good point in anyones career to shop around. Not always the case, but a lot of times current employers tend to have a hard time in seeing the upside and remember you as the youngster with less value than you may truely have. I have many frends in situations like my own where the market has prevented new highers from the bottom and we are a few years in and still just the new guy who has traditionally been the 'cheap labor' to do the mindless tasks and take over things the admin used to do before they got the axe.

So I am waiting to see what comes. If it is not up to speed with the what I should get (based not on my desires, but raises I know for fact from billing reports other new pe's got) I will discuss it with my boss and see what the reasons are. If it is a bunch of smoke and mirors, then time to make a bigger push shopping around.

Back