Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to get $5,000 one time bonus which has not been reduced to $3,000 (i guess due to this economy). Therefore, one gets about $1400 cash in hand after taxes!!

Only one partner (of 3) holds a license? your firm wouldn't be able to practice in my state (2/3 of principals must hold professional license). I get what you're saying about slim opps and minimal change in your job tasks, it certainly doesn't hurt to sit comfortably until opps start coming back around. Just don't ever discount the value holding that license can bring to you and potentially your firm - the offer of partnership is sometimes necessary for their survival, not just an incentive to dangle.
In our field, it's a little different on requirements due to oversight requirements in my industry. Plus, one partner is a silent partner at this point.

I don't discount the possibility and I may still put out some feelers to see if there are any takers. And I know it will help the firm, if for no other reason than looking better. My boss asks every day if I've heard.

If you are like me often out conversing with clients, most really like to see the PE next to your name, that is a big benefit to your employer.
And for me and my company, that's the biggest plus. It's always why I've managed bonuses and raises every year. I do a lot of field work and meet with clients and potential clients. Having the PE on my business card when I'm meeting with new clients is just all the better.

Guess I have to worry about passing still first, or it's a moot point.

It's just like my wife's field of work. She has her JD and has two significant clerkships under her belt prior to starting at her firm. The clerkships are basically used by firms for prestige reasons, and thus she gets billed at higher rates than those that started at the firm right after school (well, those that still have jobs I should say).

in the civil arena, eits are usually held in lower regard than inspectors, materials testers, crew chiefs etc - at least by actual field personnel...but usually office personnel too :p . I don't know how many times i've seen foremen or project owners completely ignore the poor schmuck eit who actually assembled the design-bid specs (and is most familiar w/ it) just to converse soley w/ the PE or onsite survey / inspection crews.

I don't think people should expect an automatic raise after becoming a PE. If your job is the same today as it was yesterday, don't expect much. Remember, if your company thinks they could keep you for less money, they will do that. It's basically an energy problem. It takes a whole lot more money to attract new talent to your company (especially if they have a PE) than it takes to keep those at rest with your firm.
For my firm, I don't expect one. But that is because the field of work I do, the PE is not a full time requirement. Now, my boss encouraged me to take it, paid for the exam and registration fee. Even gave me the day off to take the exam. We are a very small firm, with only 1 PE, being one of the three partners. We have 4 staff engineers, none with a PE. Our PE rate is higher than our senior engineer rate.

Sure, I'd like a raise, but if I don't get one I'm not going to pack my bags. I may look around some, but in my industry and locale, pickings are slim. But my company has been treating me very well up to this point since I have a lot of practical field/construction experience prior to coming to this design firm. I've been doing project management and client development since I walked in the door. Design work has been what I've relearned over the last few years. I've managed on average a 3-5% raise every year so far, even in a slow economy. My responsibilities are not going to change much if I do manage to pass the PE. For those reasons, I won't be disappointed if I don't receive one. Bottom line, I'm happy here though if I could shorten my commute, that would be nice...

However, I've dodged my boss's question every time when he asks about my "five year plan". Don't want him thinking I'm too happy...
I've thought about this topic a good bit over the last 9 months since setting out for the PE (and gaining it this week!). There's two worlds here: the ideal one and the real one. Sometimes they coincide, sometimes not. In my position a PE license is not needed. However, if there are opportunities for projects where a PE is required, then yes I will be "more valuable today than yesterday" because the projects that hinge on having licensed PEs add value to the company. If this becomes the case with me and my company is not willing to extend a part of that revenue increase via an honest raise, then of course I'll be disappointed. In fact I will just continue in my current role, albeit while looking for opportunities elsewhere. Due to company shortfalls over the last 3 years as well as the bigger picture of industry, I've been consistently performing more duties for no additional money, not even cost-of-living. Hey if the company wants to use YOUR license as a means to gain marketshare and doesn't want to pay for it, that says something. As someone mentioned, it behooves them to produce PEs internally to maintain continuity and build a more valuable work force.

my boss gave me a pat on the back, and said congrats. that's about all I expect - maybe a little bigger bonus than usual this year... maybe. but really, it's enough for me that he took the time to congratulate me. you have to earn your keep in this world - the p.e. exam is just an exam. anyone can pass it if they study. you can be a p.e. and still be a crappy engineer. don't you remember school, when there were idiots in some of your classes, but they still passed? the real world isn't much different.

but, as people have alluded to above, it really does depend on your industry, and the type of company you work for. if being a p.e. and stamping plans/specs is your bread and butter, then the title might have more immediate value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a $500 award. But nothing towards my exam fees or books and no raise. I did get a new Job in another department and the PE was a factor in that decision.

Here's a fun PE story....

I was in Vegas early January 2009 having a blast...great trip. I come home sunday night, having to prepare for work the next day.

I open the mail...

I see the letter...heart starts pounding.

I walk up to my apartment and slowly prepare to open it. I enter into defeat mode having failed the year before, and don't want to get upset.

I open the letter, flip it over and see the "P".....I scream pretty loudly!! I didn't expect to react so strongly even though I knew I'd love to pass.

So you can imagine the joy I had and the enjoyment to actually wake up early and go to work and announce the news. I have been waiting several years for this moment.

I walk into the boss' office, his back is to me. I tell him I have good news....he slowly turns around. I tell him I passed the Fire Protection PE exam and hand him the paper....

He looks it at and after a few seconds gives me a lukewarm response...."great....that's pretty good"....

Then I go to the head partner and give him the letter. Same response...

I didn't even consider asking for a raise at the time.....but I was annoyed at the lack of response.

Two days later, a plane lands in the Hudson River as you all know and makes national news...about a mile from my office. I get called into the boss' office at 4:30 pm...

I was laid off....and the PE news gave me an extra 2 days since "we couldn't rain on your parade". Thanks guys!! :rolleyes:

I don't wanna sound elitist but I was an MEP electrical guy with an extremely rare license, even in NYC....and this was the thanks I got.

Now I'm in the south hired by a much better company, explicitly for having this PE....so I go what I eventually deserved.

I found out they gave a former coworker $2500 gross for getting the PE...so maybe I could have gotten the same.

I'll offer my comments on the PE in general in another post.

BTW, I wouldn't have it any other way.....passing the PE was WORTH the layoff!! It sticks with you...a job is just a f**** job!

I just got, Congratulations (Friday, June 11). Why don't you take the next two days off.

About what I was expecting.

From boss #2 - a congrats and a hand shake.

Boss #1 is out of the office today so that reaction will have to wait until next week.

Haven't gotten word back as to what my pay will be yet, but I did get asked to stamp a design I did cause the other PE who is qualified is out of town for 2 months. I said "I'll get back to you on that one". That's what I was told about my raise. They're not going to benefit from my PE but pay me like an EIT.

"Hey, congratulations. We need to do something about this." (word is the big man on top is saying no promotions for engineers, period)

Oh well, based on the suggested schedule from our contractor I'll rack up enough comp time by the end of summer to take a 2-3 month vacation. Or, if I find something else, I would get a seriously fatty check when I quit.

Back