Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hey, congratulations. We need to do something about this." (word is the big man on top is saying no promotions for engineers, period)
Oh well, based on the suggested schedule from our contractor I'll rack up enough comp time by the end of summer to take a 2-3 month vacation. Or, if I find something else, I would get a seriously fatty check when I quit.
A 3 month paid vacation would be awesome!

I was given $3,000/yr raise and a $750 bonus. The firm even paid for all of me books and testing fees for both tries at the exam.

Judging by the "Congratulations!" and then lack of anything to follow up by my boss I am guessing no raise/bonus is going to be provided. I did get a offer for dinner with the bosses' boss for passing the PE. With the School of PE class I took and the books I purchased I figure I am in the hole about $1500 for taking this test. Woohoo!

Find another job and don't limit your job search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow seems like a lot of people are getting gloomy responses from their employers. Does this mean people will move on once the economy pick up or would you guys stay put and be loyal?

Wow seems like a lot of people are getting gloomy responses from their employers. Does this mean people will move on once the economy pick up or would you guys stay put and be loyal?
There was a semi-recent survey showing that most people plan on finding new jobs as soon as the economy improves. I'm sure newly-licensed PEs that don't get fatty raises will be leaving in greater numbers than most others. I was planning on leaving but a couple PE positions just opened up here, so there's a solid chance I'll be around here for some time. If I don't get one of those though, I might have to go ski bum around for a winter.

It used to be you could stay in one place, move up the ladder, and be successful by being loyal. Not any more, now you have to jump ship most of the time if you want any increases in compensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not receive an instant increase for passing the PE, but I do know that it opens doors for me within the company that were previously closed (managers need a PE), so still well worth the effort!

Still waiting for decision, in the meantime I have applied to over 60 jobs (and that was being picky). Turns out that if you're willing to relocate there are fair amount of jobs out there (geotechnical). Though who knows how many are applying.

With the recent economy our company gave everyone from top to bottom a pay cut a while back. We are still waiting to see the former salaries restored, and I suspect it is still going to be a number of months.

A couple weeks back I got my PE results, and was happy just to pass. Last Friday I worked up the nerve to go talk to my Boss about a raise, figuring the worst that could happen is he could say no.

I had to wait a couple days for him to clear it with his Boss, but did get the good word today. If getting your PE matters in your industry, it's definitely worth asking.

Our company (a small-mid size consulting firm in the South) gives a 2k pay bump by default. Usually a title (& responsibility) change follow shortly thereafter, and usually the pay gets bumped a bit for that, too. I just got the good news today, so I'll see how well this holds in today's economy.
Update: got the title bump and a $3500 raise. Not incredible, but compared to some fo the folks in this thread, I guess it's not too bad :)

Still waiting to hear on my results. Was curious what those who have found out they've passed have gotten as a response from their employers. Wondering if they're using the economy as an excuse not to compensate you better even though you got your PE.Lets hear it.............
In a nut shell:

"Congratulations - order new business cards."

Still waiting to hear on my results. Was curious what those who have found out they've passed have gotten as a response from their employers. Wondering if they're using the economy as an excuse not to compensate you better even though you got your PE.Lets hear it.............
In a nut shell:

Ditto...I wasn't expecting much though.

In a nut shell:

I had to ask for new business cards (and to get reimbursed for the test fee - books and class not covered)... and my boss was hesitant just asking for that. :brickwall:

I'm civil/water resources and work at a small consulting firm. I got balloons in my office. No raise. Updating resume now.

I'm hearing a 10% raise but hasn't been confirmed. That would be pretty good except for the fact that I'm about 20% underpaid as is relative to where I should be even without the "PE". Supervisor agreed that the only way I'll get payed what I'm worth is to change places of employment. Funny thing is, if they know what I'm worth and they know others are willing to pay much more then why wouldn't they step up to the plate. Was also told that the process of replacing me including hiring, training, and lost revenue would be in excess of a full years salary.

Wow..........I feel better just venting to the computer screen. :)

I'm hearing a 10% raise but hasn't been confirmed. That would be pretty good except for the fact that I'm about 20% underpaid as is relative to where I should be even without the "PE". Supervisor agreed that the only way I'll get payed what I'm worth is to change places of employment. Funny thing is, if they know what I'm worth and they know others are willing to pay much more then why wouldn't they step up to the plate. Was also told that the process of replacing me including hiring, training, and lost revenue would be in excess of a full years salary.Wow..........I feel better just venting to the computer screen. :)
Its a weird thing with most employers, they will pay a new guy more, once they have felt the pain of not having their current guy around. So many places I have worked for have done the same thing. At least a good places usually the direct supervisor will realize what someone is worth and how much a new guy is going to cost, but he isn't usually able to change the minds of the owners.

I guess it is sort of like "Why buy the cow, when you are getting the milk for free." I think companies just get used to paying you in a certain bracket and it is painful to pay you more and they figure they can still make good money on you until you wise up.

I'm hearing a 10% raise but hasn't been confirmed. That would be pretty good except for the fact that I'm about 20% underpaid as is relative to where I should be even without the "PE". Supervisor agreed that the only way I'll get payed what I'm worth is to change places of employment. Funny thing is, if they know what I'm worth and they know others are willing to pay much more then why wouldn't they step up to the plate. Was also told that the process of replacing me including hiring, training, and lost revenue would be in excess of a full years salary.Wow..........I feel better just venting to the computer screen. :)
Its a weird thing with most employers, they will pay a new guy more, once they have felt the pain of not having their current guy around. So many places I have worked for have done the same thing. At least a good places usually the direct supervisor will realize what someone is worth and how much a new guy is going to cost, but he isn't usually able to change the minds of the owners.

I guess it is sort of like "Why buy the cow, when you are getting the milk for free." I think companies just get used to paying you in a certain bracket and it is painful to pay you more and they figure they can still make good money on you until you wise up.
You are so right on. The thing is one of the owners told me not too long ago that he was worried I would leave because I do a very niche job that would be very hard to replace. Funny how greed of the owners actually costs them more than just paying a guy what he deserves.

Btw, we hired a new guy not too long ago who turned out to be quite worthless and unproductive. The owners bragged about how many resumes they received and yet the best they got, they one they hired, is incompetent. So when they speak about how bad the job market is and how many folks are applying for the same job I think of what an old business man told me once "the best people will always have a job, if unemployment is at 10% it isn't the top 10% that aren't working.....it might not be all the bottom 10% that are unemployed (good people lose their jobs too), but is sure as hell isn't the top 10%"

I passed in October, around the 1st of the year I got a $3.5/hour raise. After bonuses and overtime, it should equate to roughly $10k/year increase in pay. I have also heard the annual raises get bigger after you get your PE, but that might just be BS.

I was happy but not ecstatic with it, but reading some of these posts, it feels like I got a pretty good deal.

I passed civil/transportation.

bta15

Back