Surveying Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnm94

Reaction score
Just wondering for those who passed surveying, how many questions were you all able to realistically answer in the time given and how many did you guess on? I am taking Surveying in late June and have taken the CPESR course and am currently doing the practice exam problems, but I am extremely slow at them and am having a difficult time grasping the subject for some reason even though I was able to follow along with the lecture videos, so I end up not knowing how to do about 15-20 questions on each practice exam I take. I feel like I’m not getting any faster at doing problems so far and that the time crunch will be the biggest issue for me. At this point I’m hoping I at least get the bare minimum amount of questions correct to pass, whatever that is.

CPESR tracks which concepts you are answer right or wrong. I would look at the stats and see if there is one concept you need to review over again. I was struggling with photogrammetry and then the weekend before the exam I dedicated the whole weekend rewatching videos and reviewing the manual. It finally clicked for me and that made the difference in passing the exam. But really go back and review. You may be missing some key information that you are overlooking and it may be why you are getting it wrong.

I struggled with timing at first. I think everyone does. The game changers for me were getting a TI-89 and then repeatedly doing timed practice problems. In the final weeks leading up to my exam, I did nine practice exams and spent time every night doing one or two practice "quizzes" from CPESR. When I missed a problem on a practice problem or exam, I revisited it the next day and solved it without timing it so that I could ensure I knew the steps to follow next time. By the time I went into the exam, I had enough muscle memory that I was instinctively flipping to the correct pages in my reference manual without thinking about it.

Given the amount of time you have until your exam, you have plenty of time to practice and prepare. Keep working timed problems and review all the problems you miss, and you'll get faster as you become more familiar.

Also, the rumor I've heard is that the passing score is around 60%. If you can confidently solve all but 15 or 20 out of the 55 on the exam, then that should be enough to achieve 60%.

Back