Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep,

once i got my US PE, I will move out of and choose a better company job offer, that for me is a wise thing to do, dont stick to company without further opportunities.

On an interesting note, I was told (in not so many words) that I need to help find work for the "less than capable" engineers who "have minimal skills that translate into profit" so we can boost revenue. I offered to have them take on some of my excess work but was told they were not qualified.....yet they are being paid better than me. I'm really looking forward to resigning.

On an interesting note, I was told (in not so many words) that I need to help find work for the "less than capable" engineers who "have minimal skills that translate into profit" so we can boost revenue. I offered to have them take on some of my excess work but was told they were not qualified.....yet they are being paid better than me. I'm really looking forward to resigning.
Been in that position and yes it does feel pretty good.

Passed the April exam. Been stamping drawings since I got my license. Employer finally got around to telling me today I won't be getting a raise. Bummer, guess i gotta dust off the old resume.............

I've read through the various responses and the only thing for certain is that each situation is unique.

For myself I have a plan for when I get my results (being optimistic that I will pass... ;) ). Sorry if I am being redundant.

First off, research, there are hundreds of websites out there now Salary.com etc. as well as any number of professional organizations that anually poll thier members' salaries to get an idea of the market conditions.

Secondly demand, you don't have to go directly looking for other jobs to know whether or not your field is in demand. I know that my profession (Fire Protection Engineering) continues to have a high demand despite the rough economy right now because there are so few of us. I'm even considering printing out the list of help want ad from the UMD career center to show them what I am looking at. If you are a civil however things might be a little lighter in terms of demand due to the recession. Your ability to relocate will help in this situation because it removes the employer argument, "yes there is demand but if you stay with us you don't have to move."

The third thing is value, yes you may be doing the same job you were doing before you got your PE, but can the company charge a client more money for your services now because of your certification? (I'm betting most of them can.)

Commonality, (kinda parallels demand) are there other people in the company that can do your job or are you the only one? Even if your a civil, if your the only civil in the company they might be more inclined to pay keep you than to go outside and go after an unknown quantity just to save a few bucks.

Finally there are of course the intangibles, do you have other skills so they can plug you into something else if your field falls slack? What is your relationship with the company? What have your past work habits been like? What is your potential?

Hope this helps... :D

^ you know your employee is reading your post as we speak
eh...if they are so be it...they know the game and how I work already and we are on good terms, we've already negotiated out what happens if (when... :D ) I pass and I think it's a fair game plan...I'm not looking to screw them and vice versa... :)

Just a piece of advise to all...

Don't get so cocky and full of yourself if you pass. Don't think this is the economy to make demands. I know plenty of smart, hard working PE's that have been out of work for a Year... These guys need a job and will be willing to take your's for less then your demand because they need the money.

Be smart, be content... The next few years are going to be tough

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't expect anything, especially from my current employer when I get my license. Even though there are numerous of licensed professional engineers in my company, I pursued my licensure just for my own benefit to constantly improve myself, so that I can become much more of a useful asset to any company or organization that I work for. If I don't get a raise after receiving licensure, that's fine by me. What I do want though is to be able to take on more opportunities that will help me improve as an engineer. After all, I'm certain more money will come in for me later on in the future as long as I constantly improve over time through continuing education and experience.

I don't expect anything, especially from my current employer when I get my license. Even though there are numerous of licensed professional engineers in my company, I pursued my licensure just for my own benefit to constantly improve myself, so that I can become much more of a useful asset to any company or organization that I work for. If I don't get a raise after receiving licensure, that's fine by me. What I do want though is to be able to take on more opportunities that will help me improve as an engineer. After all, I'm certain more money will come in for me later on in the future as long as I constantly improve over time through continuing education and experience.
:violin:

that's actually the best attitude to have. improve yourself, the rest will follow it's coarse. There is a guy on this board who is very financially sucessful, but never tried to be.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

-Aristotle

Just a piece of advise to all...
Don't get so cocky and full of yourself if you pass. Don't think this is the economy to make demands. I know plenty of smart, hard working PE's that have been out of work for a Year... These guys need a job and will be willing to take your's for less then your demand because they need the money.

Be smart, be content... The next few years are going to be tough
OH I have every intention of demanding a promotion to full partner upon immediate receipt of my passing grade... :bandevil:

In all seriousness though jv21 is right on this...whatever you are looking for don't be an *ss about it... :respect:

That's were the research comes into play make sure you know what the economy holds. I would never discourage anyone from going out and trying to make the best they can out of thier situation. If you think you can get better from your company. Pursue it...respectfully...but go for it, I honestly think the worst that can happen if you go about it the right way is they could say, "well, we'd like to give you a raise but we just can't afford it right now." If they become jerks about it themselves maybe you need to reevaluate were you are in life and if they fit into your long term plans, be smart but don't be a doormat either.

One other piece of advise. If you decide to go looking elsewhere in an attempt to leverage your company for more money (and I don't necessarily recommend this but if you do). DON'T BLUFF.... make sure you have a genuine offer and be prepared to take the other job if your going to go down that road and make sure you leave amicably.

Last few to pass their People in my office got significant raises and promotions. They also got laid off within the last few months. I'll be happy to keep my job at my current pay.

Last few to pass their People in my office got significant raises and promotions. They also got laid off within the last few months. I'll be happy to keep my job at my current pay.
Me too! This is just another arrow for my quiver. It is a horrible time to make demands.

Once the economy gts better, though, I might drop a hint or two about a raise!

I've already been told I will get a raise. As for how much I don't know, I'm at the low end of the pay scale for Civils right now so I hope its decent.

my colleague got fired the same week he announced his license. The dipshit small engineering company owner seen him as a threat and sent an email on following Saturday asking him to leave. He went paranoid and I lost my job as well.

So if you are working for a lowlife, I recommend you be prepared for it.

I think I'll be in line for a promotion but not sure if there will be much of a financial gain made. I agree with previous poster, better yourself and eventually the money will follow! Grateful to be employed in this economy!

I got nada. I got a congrats from my manager, and no acknowledgement whatsoever from my direct supervisor. I think i will be sending out resumes shortly once I receive my PE #.

When I told my boss, his mouth dropped open. He kept asking me if I was sure that I really passed. (I don't think that he was joking.)

He then said that the he would start the ball rolling on getting me a promotion as soon as he was given the OK to go. Typically, it's a 10% raise. That's great, except I am very low paid for my field. I was really hoping to break the $50K barrier once I got licensed, but I guess that will not be happening.

Back