Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here lies our good friend, @Supe.  They lived a full life.  An engineering life.  But, alas, the pollen filled their eyes and nose and took them quickly.

*throws a handful of pollen into the grave*
Despite my horrendous allergies and asthma as a kid, my mother insisted not only on having a real Christmas tree every year (and one that always rivaled Rockerfeller Plaza in terms of size), but she would make my father apply a slurry of ivory soap flakes and water on it to simulate snow. 

So the kid, with a terrible pine allergy, got to smell a SOAPY PINE TREE from Thanksgiving weekend through the first week of January.

And everyone wonders why I hate the holidays so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite my horrendous allergies and asthma as a kid, my mother insisted not only on having a real Christmas tree every year (and one that always rivaled Rockerfeller Plaza in terms of size), but she would make my father apply a slurry of ivory soap flakes and water on it to simulate snow. 

So the kid, with a terrible pine allergy, got to smell a SOAPY PINE TREE from Thanksgiving weekend through the first week of January.

And everyone wonders why I hate the holidays so much?
We always had a plastic tree when I was little, due to my dad being cheap.  Then, when we got a little older, my mom got my brother tested and turned out he was SUPER allergic to pine and would break out in hives/not be able to breath.  So my dad saved Christmas by being super cheap.

Supe...I think if you're super cheap and frugal, your holidays will be better.  Use the money that would have been used to buy and ax and tree to instead buy liquor and something cool (tools?  Is it tools?).

Holidays usual means the wife dragging me to visit her family, which I think may be worse than visiting my own!

Holidays usual means the wife dragging me to visit her family, which I think may be worse than visiting my own!
I hate every holiday between Veterans day and President's Day. I'm actually on the fence about New Year's, but mostly it just seems dumb, too, mainly due to it's association with the other holidays it's near.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when you thought your kid's (or man-child's) recorder was the most annoying thing in the world, I present to you, the Golden Gate Bridge!

https://jalopnik.com/the-golden-gate-bridge-is-horrifying-now-1843942860

Videos taken from all over the San Francisco Bay region on social media show people responding to a creepy,high-pitched wailing or howling in the distance they hadn’t heard before.

It turns out the noise is made by new a new sidewalk railing installed on the bridge. When there’s high winds over the Bay, the air passing through the slats of the new rail design produces a high-pitched siren-like noise that carries very well over the water.

I just took over a project several months ago and am reviewing a report prepared by my team. As I'm reviewing calculations, I notice the misspelling "cummulative" on the table. That's embarrassing, I thought, and corrected it.  So as I'm going through these really old files to figure out how the **** they came up with these calculations, since they are out of the office, I opened a spreadsheet from 2000 with the same table format. And guess what?  WITH THE SAME GODDAMN ERROR.

WE HAVE BEEN SUBMITTING THESE ANNUAL REPORTS SINCE AT LEAST 2000 WITH THE SAME FUCKING ERROR IN THE TABLE. AND APPARENTLY I AM THE FIRST PERSON SINCE Y2K TO NOTICE.

I CAN'T.

I CAN'T.

It's one of those viral "if you can see the baby you can see the paranormal!" jokes, where "everyone else" can "only see a window".  

Back