October 2020 Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also agree on AEI. This was my second try at lateral. Keeping up with the course was well over 150 hours of study time alone - which was more than I put in on my own the first try. Spent 250 hours total on this second try. 
Do they address bridge lateral?

Do they address bridge lateral?
https://www.aei-california.com/course/se-lateral-forces-windearthquake

Yes they do.  Click on the schedule link to view outline.

I was very disappointed in the PPI course this year.  With all the slide errors and publication issues, I feel it was worse than when I took the course in 2016, which also had slide errors.  DO NOT RECOMMEND PPI REVIEW COURSE.

I did not pass the lateral this go around.  I will self-study or enroll in the AEI course.  I passed the vertical two years ago – I need to get this behind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I passed! The ball is in his court now... maybe I'll follow-up with the final verdict to complete the story.

View attachment 20112
Long-ish post.. Following up on my story as this will probably be my last post for now:

My boss and I took the SE exam together. He is only one year older than me. More of a business guy, where I am much more analytical - always writing spreadsheets etc. He's more of dictionary/thesaurus type of guy. We butt heads on some really trivial things. Anyways, we have discussed with the owners about "stepping into their shoes" in the next 5 years together as they get closer to retirement.

First stop: Take the SE together. Him and I are both 30 and 29, respectively, but boy - we couldn't be any more different in interests, personality, mannerisms, etc. Our trip from SoCal to Vegas to sit for the SE exam was not fun AT ALL. I just get the feeling when it is work related it's cordial but it seems like he just hates everything about me.

ANYWAYS. The test was challenging, especially with a mask on! I finished all questions in the AM & PM on both days. I studied 7 weeks and still had time to socialize and do extra-curriculars. Yeah, I'm insane. I'm also going to school for my Master's and working on massive projects in a very small team. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this approach for anyone. Hands down, the work experience between my previous and current job is what allowed me to perform. The work I do is very involved and requires intimate knowledge with all of the testable structural materials. The test (aside from AASHTO questions) were just like another day at work. If anyone sees this that is looking to take the SE, I would always recommend to ask for the most difficult and involved work that your firm has to offer! If your firm can't provide, then find one who can - that is what I did - and I do not regret it one bit. The decision also resulted in a pay increase of 30% over a single year (I had to prove my worth first, however).

I have not informed my boss that I passed the exam, however, I informed him that results were out for CA yesterday. Came in to work this AM and he told me "I have not checked, stop asking me". Based on our discussion on the drive back after the exam, I am assuming he did not pass and that he would never tell me directly when he finds out if that is indeed the case. I do not want to assume, but that's all I am left with.

We are a firm of 9 (5 engineers, 3 drafters). I am unable to properly celebrate achieving this pinnacle achievement for fear of pissing my boss off. This is eerily similar to what happened when I passed my PE 3 years ago at my last job. When my boss at my previous job found out, he told me said he was kill himself because I passed on my first try. That hit me hard at the time - made me feel really guilty for informing people of my achievement. I'm feeling that way right now too.

I'm trying to not be bummed out about the lack of celebration and not feel guilty about it all.. I guess that's 2020 for ya!

Anyways, I have finals this week. Congratulations to all who passed. Amazing work. To others, keep your chin up and hit it hard for next time!!

Thanks for reading - forgive any typos. Cheers.

https://www.aei-california.com/course/se-lateral-forces-windearthquake

Yes they do.  Click on the schedule link to view outline.

I was very disappointed in the PPI course this year.  With all the slide errors and publication issues, I feel it was worse than when I took the course in 2016, which also had slide errors.  DO NOT RECOMMEND PPI REVIEW COURSE.

I did not pass the lateral this go around.  I will self-study or enroll in the AEI course.  I passed the vertical two years ago – I need to get this behind me.
+1 for AEI. Took vertical and lateral class and passed on my first attempt this year. Lateral is very thoroughly covered but vertical not so much (in my opinion). This opinion is for buildings, I am not sure about Bridges.

Long-ish post.. Following up on my story as this will probably be my last post for now:

My boss and I took the SE exam together. He is only one year older than me. More of a business guy, where I am much more analytical - always writing spreadsheets etc. He's more of dictionary/thesaurus type of guy. We butt heads on some really trivial things. Anyways, we have discussed with the owners about "stepping into their shoes" in the next 5 years together as they get closer to retirement.

First stop: Take the SE together. Him and I are both 30 and 29, respectively, but boy - we couldn't be any more different in interests, personality, mannerisms, etc. Our trip from SoCal to Vegas to sit for the SE exam was not fun AT ALL. I just get the feeling when it is work related it's cordial but it seems like he just hates everything about me.

That work atmosphere really sucks.  Sorry to hear that.

Happy to hear you nailed it!!

ANYWAYS. The test was challenging, especially with a mask on! I finished all questions in the AM & PM on both days. I studied 7 weeks and still had time to socialize and do extra-curriculars. Yeah, I'm insane. I'm also going to school for my Master's and working on massive projects in a very small team. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this approach for anyone. Hands down, the work experience between my previous and current job is what allowed me to perform. The work I do is very involved and requires intimate knowledge with all of the testable structural materials. The test (aside from AASHTO questions) were just like another day at work. If anyone sees this that is looking to take the SE, I would always recommend to ask for the most difficult and involved work that your firm has to offer! If your firm can't provide, then find one who can - that is what I did - and I do not regret it one bit. The decision also resulted in a pay increase of 30% over a single year (I had to prove my worth first, however).

I have not informed my boss that I passed the exam, however, I informed him that results were out for CA yesterday. Came in to work this AM and he told me "I have not checked, stop asking me". Based on our discussion on the drive back after the exam, I am assuming he did not pass and that he would never tell me directly when he finds out if that is indeed the case. I do not want to assume, but that's all I am left with.

We are a firm of 9 (5 engineers, 3 drafters). I am unable to properly celebrate achieving this pinnacle achievement for fear of pissing my boss off. This is eerily similar to what happened when I passed my PE 3 years ago at my last job. When my boss at my previous job found out, he told me said he was kill himself because I passed on my first try. That hit me hard at the time - made me feel really guilty for informing people of my achievement. I'm feeling that way right now too.

I'm trying to not be bummed out about the lack of celebration and not feel guilty about it all.. I guess that's 2020 for ya!

Anyways, I have finals this week. Congratulations to all who passed. Amazing work. To others, keep your chin up and hit it hard for next time!!

Thanks for reading - forgive any typos. Cheers.
Screw that. You Passed. Celebrate. Wave it everywhere to everyone.

Congrats to everyone on finishing and especially those who passed!

Just curious what thoughts are on the following.  I passed Vertical but unfortunately did not pass Lateral.  Took both at once.  For the lateral I got 23/40 in the AM and A/A/A/A in the PM session.  What do you think the threshold would have been in the multiple choice to pass with 4 A's in the PM?  Guess i need to learn how to take a multiple choice better....

Thanks!

That's not a boss I'd want to have.  Any colleague--let alone supervisor--should be thrilled for you.  Congratulations on kicking ass!  No need to rub it in anyone's face, but you deserve to celebrate.

Just found out I passed Lateral after passing vertical last April!!! I passed both halves on my second try. This is my first post but i apologize for the length, but I have read many others' stories and it helped me so I'm sharing mine in case it helps someone else:

I took Vertical only April 2018 after taking the PPI course and failed by a little.

Took a break and skipped Oct 2018. I took just the Lateral AEI course (back then it was EET) knowing I was close on vertical, and took both halves in April 2019 weekend and passed Vertical and failed Lateral 24/40 A A IR IR (close). In addition to reviewing PPI notes, what also helped me pass vertical was the summary sheets the AEI teachers offered to share with me from the vertical exam class which was really helpful.

After having a baby and thanks to the awesome teachers at AEI, they let me extend my retake of the lateral course until April 2020 --> Oct 2020. Having the chance to dedicate my time to just studying lateral and going through AEI's notes and example problems thoroughly helped me get over the hump. 

So in summary: 

1. Take AEI's course for Lateral and look into it for Vertical. Even though I didn't take their vertical, their summary sheets are something I even use in practice and they are very helpful. AEI provides excellent examples of problems which help catch mistakes on the AM and help develop a plan of attack for most problems for the PM. Their summary sheets are very helpful. The teachers are also nice and people you can reach out to as you see from my story. 

2. The exam is frustrating. It does make you a better engineer, but I would say moreso indirectly. The fact that partially memorizing the code is required to pass and you have to rush does not reflect real engineering practice, and I have worked for Nuclear sites which go under outage and require emergency engineering support 24 hours a day due to the cost...still haven't had to do an engineering task as rushed as on the exam. However, it does force you to look (relook from your masters) at key concepts behind the code and increases your understanding of structural engineering principles just due to the number of hours required reviewing all of the material.

3. Good job to everybody that tried regardless of the result. It takes a lot of time and commitment and its especially hard to plan around your personal life and family goals, but you will succeed eventually. 

First time taking both, and failed both. Scores were exactly the same 21/40 and 2 A's, 1 IR, and 1U.

Feeling encouraged by the afternoon.. need to work on the fast pace of the morning sessions.

Congrats to everyone who passed! and Congrats to everyone who even attempted this feat! Considering the year 2020 has been, and knowing that everyone has personal/work stuff going on as well, everyone deserves to feel good about their attempts!

46/80 Failed again, but did better than last year. I'll try again in April 
Improvement is always worth it. As long as you're improving another try is worth it.

I passed both SE exams my first try! Good luck to all of you!

View attachment 20060
Nice achievement!

I'm gonna vomit.
Ugh, I remember that feeling. Thanks for reminding me of the dread I felt when I received my emails.

SE out, did not pass.  SHOCKING
Dang. You going into battle again?

Passed vertical -- KY

Thought I failed so happily surprised. 
Always a good surprise, congrats!

Louisiana is out.  I passed the lateral on the third try.  Much thanks to AEI's lateral course. 
Woohoo! Third try is still good in my book; this is a hard exam.

MI out.

Failed both.
****. Time for a drink then hit the books. Maybe try mixing up your study strategy to make it less monotonous.

Hahah!

View attachment 20072NC out! Passed vertical last year and lateral this time. I am very thankful to AEI professors Dr. Ibrahim and Dr. Zayati!
Lots of people praising AEI. I don't remember them being around a few years ago; is this a new review course?

SC out - passed vertical, failed lateral.

thank god. We just had our first baby last week. I could not imagine studying for both with a newborn. 

i honestly thought the lateral was easier than i was expecting. Im confident i can knock it out next time.
Nice, lateral definitely was a harder exam but an easier study for me. Will give you something to do while you're up at all hours of the night now. :)

Utah is out. Passed both! Huge relief. Good luck everyone! 

View attachment 20080
Woohoo! That's a good one. Gotta get those bridge SE passing rates up nice and high. :)

Failed lateral with 22/40 and A/A/IR/A

I feel okay about it. Ass is chapped to know i was like 4 or 5 multiple questions away. But im very happy with my afternoon results
Dang, so close. You got this next time!

Passed the SE vertical. 

View attachment 20081
Very good! Lateral is an easier study but harder exam IMO. With vertical down you'll be all set.

NY JUST CAME IN!! PASSED FIRST TRY BOTH!!!

View attachment 20084
Congratulations! Always impressive to see an SE exam double-play.

Passed vertical on my third try!! Finally done!
Nice! Third time is the charm. Must be a nice Christmas present to finish that off.

Failed Lateral ..... 3 AAA and UA New York ..... Back to books
****, must have been an unlucky or tough problem to get for you. How did the morning go?

Passed Vertical, Failed Lateral (21/40, A/A/A/IR).

I knew I was going to fail Lateral but that is not the result I was expecting. I got Acceptable on the problem where I literally wrote "Ran Out of Time" for 2 of the parts. What the heck????
I can't recall when we but got 100% confirmation that someone got full acceptable credit for a partially completed afternoon question; so it can be done. I think it comes down to a judgement call for the graders, if you knew your stuff on the first parts and answered enough they probably give you enough credit to get "acceptable". Ether way, you're very close to passing, keep it up!

Congrats! IN out! Passed vertical! Previous pass on Lateral!

I feel ya! This was my fourth time sitting for the vertical exam! Persistence is key! (Lots of exclamation points due to being extra happy I'm finally done!)
Congrats! 4th time, and I thought 2 tries was rough. Great job sticking it out!

Failed lateral AGAIN with 30/40. A, A, IR, U. Is this score even close to passing? 
I'm almost certain that the U did you in when combined with only 30/40 for the morning. That sucks to lose out by just one or two questions but the good news is you're super close. You can get it on the next try if you keep your studies up.

From what i understand, a single U in the afternoon will fail you.

you need 27ish AM and 2 As with no U in PM
Yep, this is what we roughly estimated previously.

TX SE result out.. Passed lateral first attempt 
Nicely done!

Texas released. Failed vertical. 28/40 w/ A, A, IR U. And I always thought the concrete problem would be the decider. 

Looks like I'll be coming back in April....
MMMmmmm, just a few more morning questions or that one U question. Definitely keep the studies up so you can get it in April.

View attachment 20098

Colorado results are in. Don't forget to thank everyone who put up with your nonsense and general unpleasantness for the entire time you were studying - regardless of your results.
Good thoughts; definitely feels good to know you helped someone when they were studying.

Passed Vertical first try 10/2019.

Failed Lateral :( first try this year

Morning: 29/40 Afternoon: IR/A/IR/IR. 

I feel like I got so close tho...
Definitely close. I have no good idea what "IR" is on a score range, but let's say it's 50-60% correct. You're really close to passing both morning and afternoon in that case so definitely keep up the studies, you'll get it next time!

Failed NY Building Lateral.  20 in AM and IR, A, A, IR in the PM. 

Last time I had 27 in AM and failed the PM. Now it looks like I was ok in PM but not the AM. 

Don't think I'll try again but I've said that before!
It's hard when it doesn't look like progress was made. I've always said just taking this exam is beneficial as it exposes you to a lot and makes you work hard on a lot of different topics. It really makes you a better engineer and getting SE after your name is a just a feather in your cap. Either way, you've done good, but I'd say you're so close another try would be worth it. Maybe try mixing up your study strategy to make this round of studies not so monotonous.

View attachment 20107

Well I finally gave in.

On the vertical I got 26/40 and A/A/IR/U

Sad part is I blocked the test so far out of my mind that I cant even remember what the wood problem was. I don't remember struggling with the wood problem either. Oh well. At least I got one of them out of the way. Can't wait to be done studying for this test.
I highly encourage people take a video recording of themselves (and keep it private) after they get out of the exam. Talk about everything you can remember about the exam. Even a few hours after the exam you'll have forgotten critical details. Then you can look at those notes when you pass and laugh, or use them to plan out study strategies if you don't pass. It can make a big difference.

Woooo, finally passed lateral!!! This was not my first attempt; I passed vertical a few years ago - so I am officially done.

I took the AEI course and began studying in January with the intent of taking the exam in April. Since the April exams were cancelled, I think having a few extra months to study really helped. I definitely recommend taking the AEI course. Their binder covers so much material and the professors are very invested in helping you learn. 

Good luck to everyone still trying! You will  eventually get there - keep at it!

View attachment 20110
Congratulations! Glad to hear the AEI course helped you. Good thing you got the pass as it sounds like you were getting close to the pass on the Vertical exam timing out.

I passed both SE exams FINALLY! Fairly tough, and I appreciate the efforts I put.

I didn't expect the results could be released so early.... that I thought it's just survey from NCEES... really a huge surprise and highlights my day...Good luck to all of you!

View attachment 20123
Congratulations! I remember that feeling, passing the exam was great but being rewarded for the study efforts and all the new knowledge gained from those studies was really something to be proud of. Great work!

Fortunately PASSED. Construction Depth. California. I don't know how happy I am. I am on the clouds. Time to rest & relax.
Congratulations!

Congrats.

View attachment 20161

Oh man this feels good.
Indeed!

So question to those who have a better understanding of the scoring than I.

21/40 in the AM (figured as such.  I have no experience with building and wood seismic)

PM was A/IR/IR.

Would a 28/40 in the AM been enough to push me over the top?

Thank you.

View attachment 20164
We have less info on the bridge scores than buildings since less people take it than buildings. I believe you're close but 2 IRs give you a 65% score for the afternoon so you'll need a good morning to counterbalance that score. I'd hazard a guess that you would have needed about a 30-32/40 for the AM, but maybe 28 might have been enough. Mornings are often the killer part of the exam for bridge guys since they don't do buildings in their daily work. I'd say you'll need to work hard on your mornings and hopefully get a slightly easier afternoon to get A/A/IR. Should be enough to get you there.

Mine was 24/40, U,IR,IR,U Vertical, 25/40, U,U,U,U Lateral.

So close in the morning. I think I need a substitute writer for the afternoon.

ALSO GOT BOTH COLD FORM QUESTIONS RIGHT! Woo!
Yeah, those cold form questions are the worst! ;)

Dang, that's a brutal lateral score. Hopefully there were extenuating circumstances and you can bounce back hard from that. Since you took both it looks like you're out of steam on lateral afternoon at the very least. Might be worth taking them one at a time. Nice morning scores, though.

Congrats to everyone on finishing and especially those who passed!

Just curious what thoughts are on the following.  I passed Vertical but unfortunately did not pass Lateral.  Took both at once.  For the lateral I got 23/40 in the AM and A/A/A/A in the PM session.  What do you think the threshold would have been in the multiple choice to pass with 4 A's in the PM?  Guess i need to learn how to take a multiple choice better....

Thanks!
****, with 4x A I'd have thought you should have had it. With 23/40 you have the highest perfect afternoon failing score I ever seen (congratulations?). I know it sucks but you might have been 1 morning off of passing. Definitely worth a second try at the exam.

First time taking both, and failed both. Scores were exactly the same 21/40 and 2 A's, 1 IR, and 1U.

Feeling encouraged by the afternoon.. need to work on the fast pace of the morning sessions.

Congrats to everyone who passed! and Congrats to everyone who even attempted this feat! Considering the year 2020 has been, and knowing that everyone has personal/work stuff going on as well, everyone deserves to feel good about their attempts!
Yeah, the morning time crunch is real, that was one of my challenges that I got over the 2nd time I took the exam (finished my mornings early on my 2nd tries). Practicing study strategy on marking and skipping problems, accurate guessing, getting the most out of questions you know well, and so on is definitely valuable if you found yourself fighting the clock.

Yeah, 2020 really has given people a lot of curve balls. Congratulations to everyone who took the SE exam this year. Sorry I haven't been active on this board more. Been swamped at work; starting my own engineering firm has been a wonderful experience but a ton of work.

Good luck to all those awaiting results!

Lots of people praising AEI. I don't remember them being around a few years ago; is this a new review course?

Dang, that's a brutal lateral score. Hopefully there were extenuating circumstances and you can bounce back hard from that. Since you took both it looks like you're out of steam on lateral afternoon at the very least. Might be worth taking them one at a time. Nice morning scores, though.
AEI is former EET structural guys.  

As for the lateral... I just, I don't know what happened there.  Honestly, I expected that on the vertical one, NOT the lateral. I must have missed something big, because two of of them I thought I did well enough on to get at least an IR.  Oh well.  I really need to work on my time management and WTH they are actually looking for and then get into solving.  I tend to like to deliberate before jumping in, and there just is not enough time for that.

Hey, Anyone can share the material for AEI Vertical and Lateral.

I took PPI and spent well above 3K on that test, and they're gone with a failing results. I'm offering them for free if you want them. 

I'm so hesitant to pay again for another course. I'll be self-studying. However, with this overwhelming praise for AEI, I think I have to consider their material for my self-studying. 

If you would like to sell your material or even giving it away, it's greatly appreciated!!

I've taken both the PPI and AEI lateral classes. Disclaimer: I took the PPI course back in 2016 (so it’s probably changed quite a bit since then), but at the time I definitely felt like it wasn’t enough to get me to a spot where I could pass the exam. I know someone who took the PPI class last year, and they felt the same way.

I took a few years off before attempting the lateral exam again, and decided to go with the AEI course this time. It’s a lot of class time, but the lectures are really in depth and cover everything from the basics to the nitty gritty. I used their binder more than I used any other reference during the exam, it’s that thorough. They give you tons of multiple choice questions, mock morning style question quizzes, and in depth afternoon problems to solve; then you end the course with a practice exam. I liked that I could still use the PPI materials for extra practice on your own time, since you really just want to solve as many practice problems as possible. 

It definitely gets easier when you just have one exam to study for - you might want to consider tackling one section at a time. And if you get in a rut like I felt I was in, take some time off to get more work experience and then tackle the exam with fresh eyes. This was my fourth time taking the lateral exam, so keep trying!
Thanks for sharing you experience.

PPI just got worse this year. Tons of errors on their slides, we had to correct their slides during the sessions. It wasn't fun.

Would you be interested in sharing your material or even selling it?

Thanks, 

PPI just got worse this year. Tons of errors on their slides, we had to correct their slides during the sessions. It wasn't fun.

Thanks, 
That's sad to hear. It sounds at this point that PPI should just stop doing the SE review courses and stick to PE review courses if they're not willing to put the effort into the course.

Thanks, 
No, I’m not; the AEI binder is a copyrighted material and I’ve even used it a few times since the exam to brush up on topics I don’t practice frequently. I think a lot of the value comes from adding your own notes as you sit thru the lectures as well, the class and binder are really complimentary to each other. 

Thanks, 
To add to what redpepper said: the ‘good stuff’ is in a huge binder mailed to the students, so if we wanted to, its not something we can just email to whoever...and what is in pdf form is protected/the pdfs expire soon after the exam

I signed up for AEI after reading the reviews here, and they did not disappoint 

Back