October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't think that far ahead.  First time taking it and honestly my gut feeling was it wasn't as bad as I had led myself to believe it would be.  That's the feeling that freaks me out the most.  I either passed and did very well or a failed miserably because I fell in every trap/trick...My anxiety is already through the roof and I'm not sure i could put all my effort into a laser light show and fighter jet fly-bys to find out I failed.  So, I'll settle for the bottle of Jameson 18 Year I bought and have been saving as I wait for my hopefully positive result.  If I pass, I'll drink it happily.  If I failed, I'll drink it in one sitting...
either way, sounds like a plan. hopefully, you will drink it happily. 

Are we seriously expecting any states to release results today? Has there been any historical records of states releasing immediately after the results are first officially allowed to be released?

Assuming you passed... has anyone considered how you'll tell your family, coworkers, etc.? Simple call or text? In person with a simple "I passed."? Something kinda over the top? Or maybe you've not yet considered it because it'd be a huge let down if you don't pass? Just asking... 

I'm an older guy with five kiddos ranging from 10 up to 23 - I started college late, passed the FE long after my peers because I suck at tests - and this is my second time on the PE. I actually feel good about the exam - as long as I don't think too much about it!

My wife and kiddos are crazy supportive of me - I'm a blessed guy. My 13 year old daughter baked me a cake Saturday evening after I got an awesome buck Saturday morning. That's my little gumbo girl  :D  
Well as someone who took it 7 times... First 2 times, i just straight up told people I failed - a lot knew I was taking it the 1st 2 times. 3rd time, I also trained for the Boston marathon at the same time so I didn't study and didn't pass lol. I kept it very hush the next 4 times. Like I told my gramma who I talk to weekly like 3 days before I took it (my direct boss, PM, best friend, my partner, and a few others knew I was taking it). 

So when I passed last year, I foolishly opened the email at my desk and basically almost hyperventilated at my desk, beelined for a closet where I called my bestie in tears. And then had to pull it together for a meeting. Texted my partner. And then made a social media post later in the day letting everyone know I passed.

And that afternoon, someone said something to me about it during stretching time so I shouted it for the whole office to hear (it's an office for 40). And then announced it again at the holiday party that was that night. And it went out in a division email within a week too 

So there are some options for you lol 

either way, sounds like a plan. hopefully, you will drink it happily. 
here's hoping.  finding study time after 14 hours out of the house every day with a toddler at home was difficult enough.  If i have to do it again it'll be worse as I'm expecting another new roommate in the next 6 weeks...

i can't think that far ahead.  First time taking it and honestly my gut feeling was it wasn't as bad as I had led myself to believe it would be.  That's the feeling that freaks me out the most.  I either passed and did very well or a failed miserably because I fell in every trap/trick...My anxiety is already through the roof and I'm not sure i could put all my effort into a laser light show and fighter jet fly-bys to find out I failed.  So, I'll settle for the bottle of Jameson 18 Year I bought and have been saving as I wait for my hopefully positive result.  If I pass, I'll drink it happily.  If I failed, I'll drink it in one sitting...
Oh, right there with you except my drink will be less fancy

Are we seriously expecting any states to release results today? Has there been any historical records of states releasing immediately after the results are first officially allowed to be released?
No, but it's also odd to take the full 8-10 weeks to post results these days.  Our hope is that they have their finger on the trigger right now, waiting until the close of the January registration to stay true to their word.

By this time, all results must have already been coded into the NCEES site and I hope it's just a matter of flipping the switch from "Exam registration Open" to "Exam registration closed" and sending the results to the board.......Unless NCEES likes to see some drama and is actually having fun reading through all of our comments on here with some popcorn in their conference room...  :angry:    :redface:

I don't think so. It would've happened around 10AM EST for some states if that was the case.

Oh, right there with you except my drink will be less fancy
hey man..it all does the same job.  I could punish myself for a failure with something a little more harsh (a la Popov/Majorska was the go to cheap way to a good night in college for me).  I'd be better served drinking straight rubbing alcohol.  Maybe it would serve as motivation for next time.

I didn't sit for the exam this past October, but last year, I remember how the wait made me crazy. The day that results were being released, I couldn't sit still. I was driving to Walmart when I learned that I failed. Next time, if I pass, I have to go back to that same Walmart so that I don't have a negative mental block with that location. 

This is the first time people have known a "results not allowed to release until" date. Normally they get released whenever NCEES is ready to release them. But they get release to state boards first and the state boards lets NCEES know when they can tell the test-taker. And yeah, a lot of states release the same day that NCEES is ready. Most states it's within a couple of day. Some states take what feels like FOREVER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I was wondering, any other Electrical Engineers waiting for their results? I took the Electronics, Controls, and Communications exam, not power like 95% of all the other EEs. Power was moved to a CBT and they got their results in 4 days!!!!! Not fair.

Well as someone who took it 7 times... First 2 times, i just straight up told people I failed - a lot knew I was taking it the 1st 2 times. 3rd time, I also trained for the Boston marathon at the same time so I didn't study and didn't pass lol. I kept it very hush the next 4 times. Like I told my gramma who I talk to weekly like 3 days before I took it (my direct boss, PM, best friend, my partner, and a few others knew I was taking it). 

So when I passed last year, I foolishly opened the email at my desk and basically almost hyperventilated at my desk, beelined for a closet where I called my bestie in tears. And then had to pull it together for a meeting. Texted my partner. And then made a social media post later in the day letting everyone know I passed.

And that afternoon, someone said something to me about it during stretching time so I shouted it for the whole office to hear (it's an office for 40). And then announced it again at the holiday party that was that night. And it went out in a division email within a week too 

So there are some options for you lol 
That sage wisdom. This is what I'm doing going forward. Less pressure.

I texted my fiancé last week "omg guess what" and he assumed that was me telling him that I passed, but really I had just finished the regular season of my fantasy league in first place  
Sweet, who's on your fantasy team?

I'm in 2nd place in one league and in 8th place in the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back