October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come play mafia game with some of your fellow EB-ers to take your mind off of it. 

This is an open invitation to everyone. Gotta sign up for this round by like 5pm eastern time.

Sure count me in.... 
Cool. Go visit the thread and let them know you're in.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO READ ALL ~1000 PAGES OF HISTORY. 
I mean you can if you really want to. But it's not necessary. Just start keeping up with new post. If you want a little context we were recruiting some new people and gave a little background starting a page 914.

We’re getting close This next week is going to be quite and emotional roller coaster. Allow me to give you a preview of the next week (or two weeks in Georgia and Pennsylvania).

The next day or so

The next day or so is going to be rough as we all continue to wait for the results to drop. I maintain that having a NET is a net positive. However, if you aren’t already, starting around 3PM today, every email notification, and every fake results post/thread, even some normal posts will make your heart sink. You will be obsessively reloading this thread and the NCEES dashboard.

What to expect when the results drop

People will start report here that they got their results. At first it will be indistinguishable from the troll posts and will be shot down. Don’t take it personal if you are one of the first legit posters. Eventually the vets will recognize the signs that it’s actually happening and the mood on the board will instantly change from stressball to excitement.

I will start the official results map in the Oct 2020 Results Sub-Forum.  I will update every 15 minutes or so throughout the first day – and update as needed on day 2+.

Historically, States will release in waves – about 5 will release then an hour later another clump will go out. Last October it appears that NCEES sent the results to all of the States at the same time. Many States authorized NCEES to release immediately. Others, for whatever reason, took hours or days to authorize the release.

This is the worst part of the process! @leggo PE and I have posted numerous times here that the worst feeling is when the results have started to come out and you are waiting on your State to release. You will be catatonic with nerves and stress. Time will stand still. You may or may not have the where-with-all to refresh the above pages every few seconds to see if anyone heard anything about your state.

What happens when you get your results

This differs based on the individual and the pass/fail result. After you get the email, celebrate or commiserate as best for you.  

If you passed then congrats! Celebrate! This is your day, and treat it as such! If you didn’t pass, then study hard and kick its ass next time. You got this!

If you have a chance though (especially if you are one of the first to get results), tell us in this thread that you got them and your State. Tag me “@RBHeadge PE” so I see it and can update the map.

Post in the map thread, ONLY the State and time you got your email. You don’t need to post in that thread if someone else only reported your state. Please, please, please limit discussions in that thread to only the State and time of release. Side conversations are just a distraction and will make things more difficult to update that map.

Look in the Oct 2020 results subforum. IFF your State doesn’t have a results thread yet, then create one there so that you and others can talk State-specific stuff about the release and the next steps. This will really help people through the process in future cycles. If your State already has a thread, then post in that thread instead.

Some States will have threads started pre-release. Either because it was originally a fake results thread, or because people are started one to complain or look for insights about the delay: *cough* Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and New Jersey *cough*

What happens post-results

For those that passed, the next few days will be great. You’ll be excited for your result and will want to do as much as quickly as possible. You’ll want to add P.E. to everything, get a stamp, new business cards, wall certificate, custom frame etc. The timing and process will vary from State to State. It’s too much to post here. Try to look up old State results threads for more specifics on your situation. However, the only important take away from this paragraph is to hold off on adding PE to your name until is actually official (i.e. you have a license number). I’ll post more on the legalities in another thread after the results come out.

If you didn’t pass, then the next few days will suck. Everyone will handle it differently, but try to remain calm. There will be many posts here on how to cope, how to better prepare, and threads trying to divine the cut score based on not passing scores. Resist the temptation to have a manual score of your exam - it won’t work and it will be a waste of your money. Pro-tips: the cut score doesn’t really matter, and the fail score threads may not provide any useful information anyway; and don’t bother trying to figure anything out from the Texas scores. We’ve been looking at it for years and haven’t discovered anything useful about it.

So does this forum get active only during the wait or its an year round thing?
The forum is always active. There a core group of the community who's always here. And we get people showing up to ask questions about licensing process regularly. But during the wait, it gets a lot more active. We get a lot of new people showing up looking for info or just people to suffer with. Some stick around and some don't. Either way that's fine.

We’re getting close This next week is going to be quite and emotional roller coaster. Allow me to give you a preview of the next week (or two weeks in Georgia and Pennsylvania).

The next day or so

The next day or so is going to be rough as we all continue to wait for the results to drop. I maintain that having a NET is a net positive. However, if you aren’t already, starting around 3PM today, every email notification, and every fake results post/thread, even some normal posts will make your heart sink. You will be obsessively reloading this thread and the NCEES dashboard.
God i forgot how much i didn't miss this.....

The next day or so

What to expect when the results drop

People will start report here that they got their results. At first it will be indistinguishable from the troll posts and will be shot down. Don’t take it personal if you are one of the first legit posters. Eventually the vets will recognize the signs that it’s actually happening and the mood on the board will instantly change from stressball to excitement.

I will start the official results map in the Oct 2020 Results Sub-Forum.  I will update every 15 minutes or so throughout the first day – and update as needed on day 2+.

Historically, States will release in waves – about 5 will release then an hour later another clump will go out. Last October it appears that NCEES sent the results to all of the States at the same time. Many States authorized NCEES to release immediately. Others, for whatever reason, took hours or days to authorize the release.

This is the worst part of the process! @leggo PE and I have posted numerous times here that the worst feeling is when the results have started to come out and you are waiting on your State to release. You will be catatonic with nerves and stress. Time will stand still. You may or may not have the where-with-all to refresh the above pages every few seconds to see if anyone heard anything about your state.

What happens when you get your results

This differs based on the individual and the pass/fail result. After you get the email, celebrate or commiserate as best for you.  

If you passed then congrats! Celebrate! This is your day, and treat it as such! If you didn’t pass, then study hard and kick its ass next time. You got this!

If you have a chance though (especially if you are one of the first to get results), tell us in this thread that you got them and your State. Tag me “@RBHeadge PE” so I see it and can update the map.

Post in the map thread, ONLY the State and time you got your email. You don’t need to post in that thread if someone else only reported your state. Please, please, please limit discussions in that thread to only the State and time of release. Side conversations are just a distraction and will make things more difficult to update that map.

Look in the Oct 2020 results subforum. IFF your State doesn’t have a results thread yet, then create one there so that you and others can talk State-specific stuff about the release and the next steps. This will really help people through the process in future cycles. If your State already has a thread, then post in that thread instead.

Some States will have threads started pre-release. Either because it was originally a fake results thread, or because people are started one to complain or look for insights about the delay: *cough* Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and New Jersey *cough*

What happens post-results

For those that passed, the next few days will be great. You’ll be excited for your result and will want to do as much as quickly as possible. You’ll want to add P.E. to everything, get a stamp, new business cards, wall certificate, custom frame etc. The timing and process will vary from State to State. It’s too much to post here. Try to look up old State results threads for more specifics on your situation. However, the only important take away from this paragraph is to hold off on adding PE to your name until is actually official (i.e. you have a license number). I’ll post more on the legalities in another thread after the results come out.

If you didn’t pass, then the next few days will suck. Everyone will handle it differently, but try to remain calm. There will be many posts here on how to cope, how to better prepare, and threads trying to divine the cut score based on not passing scores. Resist the temptation to have a manual score of your exam - it won’t work and it will be a waste of your money. Pro-tips: the cut score doesn’t really matter, and the fail score threads may not provide any useful information anyway; and don’t bother trying to figure anything out from the Texas scores. We’ve been looking at it for years and haven’t discovered anything useful about it.
Man, I kinda miss all this excitement. I want to take the PE again.

I know I'm remembering with rose-colored glasses. If you asked my wife, she would tell you that I drove her absolutely crazy.

I know I'm remembering with rose-colored glasses. If you asked my wife, she would tell you that I drove her absolutely crazy.
Yeah, there some excitement and nostalgia associated with the process. But I certainly don't want to do it again. I think my wife would leave me if I even suggested it.  I'll live it vicariously through others on this board ;)

Yeah, there some excitement and nostalgia associated with the process. But I certainly don't want to do it again. I think my wife would leave me if I even suggested it.  I'll live it vicariously through others on this board ;)
I mentioned the PE exam to her recently and was saying that with the new CBT, people get results in 10 days instead of 2 months like I had to wait.

Her response: "It was only 2 months?? The way you were carrying on, I though it was 6 months!"

LMAO

So does this forum get active only during the wait or its an year round thing?
year round, haven't left since I signed up lol 

i still have PTSD so imma pass on that 

Been lurking since I originally registered for the April 2020 exam.  I'm NJ, so general consensus seems to be I'll be waiting for a few days and with 10-15 inches of snow forecasted for Wednesday, I'll probably be waiting until after the January exam...

I'm just ready to stop threatening myself with a career change in the case that I don't pass.  It's mostly a joke but a small part of me doesn't know that.  My wife is definitely tired of hearing it.

Back