October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if everyone has seen this yet but I noticed this on the NCEES website and also saw everyone talking about it so I thought I would share. 

“Individuals who took the October exam will be unable to register for the January exam. Results from the October exam will not be released prior to the close of registration for the January exam, and examinees are unable to register for any exam when results are pending from a previous exam. The same is true for the January 2021 administration and being able to register for the April 2021 exam—results from January will not be released prior to the close of the April registration period. Registration deadlines cannot be changed.”

https://ncees.org/january-2021-pe-civil-exam-administration-updates/
tenor.gif

Ahh jeez that sucks.

First let me admit that I was wrong at the top of this page.

Second, wow a 53+ day wait is going to be awful! This administration might surpass Oct 2019 as one of the worst wait periods!

Ahh jeez that sucks.

First let me admit that I was wrong at the top of this page.

Second, wow a 53+ day wait is going to be awful! This administration might surpass Oct 2019 as one of the worst wait periods!
I truly do hope that this is just a generic legalese message and that they truly don’t mean that. 
I don’t think my heart could take them waiting until late December to post the results.

I truly do hope that this is just a generic legalese message and that they truly don’t mean that. 
I don’t think my heart could take them waiting until late December to post the results.
Unfortunately, sounds like it will be like that. I think they could have said that whoever took the October exam can’t register for January, that’s it, not holding the results until after the registration ends. It really sucks...

I know I saw something a little while ago about how soon one could retake a CBT test after failing. I seem to recall it was either every 90 days, or 120 days, and a max of 3x/yr? I've spent a few minutes looking but can't find anything except on the FL website. Does anyone else remember seeing something like this?

Okay, I found it in the Examinee Guide

Year-Round Testing Opportunities

Except as noted above, NCEES computer based exams are offered in testing windows throughout the year during the following months:

• January–March

• April–June

• July–September

• October–December

Approval Policy

NCEES policy states examinees may attempt a particular NCEES exam one time per testing window and no more than three times in a 12-month approval period, which begins with the examinee’s first attempt. Some licensing boards have a more restrictive policy. Visit ncees.org/boards to review the policy of the licensing board you selected during the registration process.
I looked through all 55 boards (so you didn't have to) and none of them have a more restrictive frequency than "one time per testing window and no more than three times in a 12-month period"

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband found out december 24th that he passed, back in the days of snail mail results. Might even have been his license was issued the 24th and he got it the 27th?

Okay, I found it in the Examinee Guide

I looked through all 55 boards (so you didn't have to) and none of them have a more restrictive frequency than "one time per testing window and no more than three times in a 12-month period"
For paper exams Iowa used to be 2 tests per application fee/year.  That may have changed with CBT though.

For paper exams Iowa used to be 2 tests per application fee/year.  That may have changed with CBT though.
I believe you are correct and onto something. On the NCEES site I looked specifically at CBT requirements for all 55 jurisdictions. I looked at P&P requirements for 5 random ones and didn't see anything about frequency. I just looked at Iowa and didn't see anything. But the 2x/year things was default in the past and IIRC many states codified it. I looked through Maryland and Pennsylvania and didn't see anything.  It's too time consuming to look through the laws and regs for every jurisdiction.

Suffice to say, they must have a valid reason for wanting to prevent people from back-to-back: Oct+Jan and/or Jan+Apr.

:plusone:

Unfortunately, sounds like it will be like that. I think they could have said that whoever took the October exam can’t register for January, that’s it, not holding the results until after the registration ends. It really sucks...
I must emphasize that this is just speculation based on their statement. It's supported by the fact that they're already saying it'll be the same for the January exam. It's entirely possible that the registration date and release date are unrelated. 

My husband found out december 24th that he passed, back in the days of snail mail results. 
Merry Christmas?

I appreciate the perspective here. People were still waiting for snail mail and getting their results as late as January six years ago. It was nearly the expectation at the beginning of the decade! Some people (SD, DC, and to a lesser extent HI, MN) still learn from USPS mail!

My husband found out december 24th that he passed, back in the days of snail mail results. Might even have been his license was issued the 24th and he got it the 27th?
I remember this time! It was when I took the F.E., pencil and paper. 2011, maybe?

I also remember the days of CA not being a first or second day releaser, which are actually not that long ago. Before CA decoupled the P.E. exam from the license application, they used to have to corroborate the P.E. exam results with the state seismic & surveying exams (which where also not offered year-round, but only twice a year, for roughly 3-4 weeks around when the P.E. pencil and paper exams are offered). So at least in CA, things have gotten better. The worst wait I remember was, I think, December 2016, when they were released something like 8 days after the first states released. It was TORTURE. As bad as it is to have to wait a long time for results, it's even worse when basically every other state has ALREADY released results but your state hasn't.

It was 2006.  I only remember this because he took it on my birthday (I feel like that is a theme, really) and I was pregnant with our first kid, and we went to Nebraska for him to take it.
Oh gotcha! Well then, it happened to me in 2011, too. That's not (yet) ten years ago! All these young 'uns don't remember that far back!

As bad as it is to have to wait a long time for results, it's even worse when basically every other state has ALREADY released results but your state hasn't.
200.gif

Totally the worst part of this process! Time stands still and you're stuck in paralysis awaiting the news.

In Oct 2013 I had to wait two full weeks after the first states released until Maryland/ :pcs:  finally released. They were last State to do so.

It's going to be a long 8 to 10 weeks.

Has any figured out the cut score yet?

Back