October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh gotcha! Well then, it happened to me in 2011, too. That's not (yet) ten years ago! All these young 'uns don't remember that far back!
I took pen & paper FE, April 2010! My FE doesn't show up in myNCEES lol

I took the pencil and paper FE in 2003. I got my state board to send my FE results to NCEES to add it to my record.

Also very impressed that you took the FE with PEN. Erasers are for chumps!!! :)
i'm THAT badass lol 

yeah, I had to email VT to get my FE in my NCEES record since it isn't an option in their online portal. 

This thread is surprisingly quiet.
I was thinking the same thing. The WttS typically slows down in mid-November, everyone is still in phase 1: calm. But it's never gone dead before.

This is a weird cycle and think there are a variety of reason why people are distracted or aren't posting as much: 

• The election generated a lot of RL interest and was a major distraction. It heated up shortly after the test and lasted nearly a week after election day.
  • The board in general was pretty quiet after the April exams were cancelled. Normally we have like a month or two of lull between exams, but people usually come back and start posting. The lull was like six months long this time and some casual posters didn't come back.  
  • COVID-times and online and workplace culture shifts
  • We sorta-kinda learned the released date, or at least learned the NET date, and that has relieved some of the tension that comes with uncertainty.
  • There may or may not be more people waiting on results. We're hearing mixed things. I personally think it was much more but the posting traffic implies otherwise. 
  • The spam thread is nearly dead. It's probably also because of the above, and the fact that most vets are communicating via other means. The spam thread is partially about a mindless distraction, and partially a way to meet other people on the site. Without vets keeping the conversation going, the noobs don't feel encouraged to post/spam and participation goes down elsewhere too.
I think the posting will increase quite a bit. Probably in a week, and especially after Thanksgiving. 

I was thinking the same thing. The WttS typically slows down in mid-November, everyone is still in phase 1: calm. But it's never gone dead before.

This is a weird cycle and think there are a variety of reason why people are distracted or aren't posting as much: 

• The election generated a lot of RL interest and was a major distraction. It heated up shortly after the test and lasted nearly a week after election day.
  • The board in general was pretty quiet after the April exams were cancelled. Normally we have like a month or two of lull between exams, but people usually come back and start posting. The lull was like six months long this time and some casual posters didn't come back.  
  • COVID-times and online and workplace culture shifts
  • We sorta-kinda learned the released date, or at least learned the NET date, and that has relieved some of the tension that comes with uncertainty.
  • There may or may not be more people waiting on results. We're hearing mixed things. I personally think it was much more but the posting traffic implies otherwise. 
  • The spam thread is nearly dead. It's probably also because of the above, and the fact that most vets are communicating via other means. The spam thread is partially about a mindless distraction, and partially a way to meet other people on the site. Without vets keeping the conversation going, the noobs don't feel encouraged to post/spam and participation goes down elsewhere too.
I think the posting will increase quite a bit. Probably in a week, and especially after Thanksgiving. 
I also think the fact that it is pretty much just civil folks taking the P&P that the pool of people actually experiencing the WTTS wait has decreased, even thought the actual number of testers has not decreased, most people are in a one week wait vs the horrid 8-10 weeks.

And me, well, I didn't pass, so I don't feel the urgency of getting results.

I also think the fact that it is pretty much just civil folks taking the P&P ...
Well that was a glass shattering moment. You're right, I didn't realize that it was just the civils and a few other strays. Looks like it was the Civil (all disciplines), EE (Computer; Electronics), Ag, Mining, Arch, Controls, Mat Sci, Naval.

The civil's alone make up 2/3 of all PE takers in a given year. Those other disciplines barely 3%. Civil's must've out-numbered everyone else 20:1 in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how anyone makes that mistake, unless English is not their first language. 
tenor.gif

Well that was a glass shattering moment. You're right, I didn't realize that it was just the civils and a few other strays. Looks like it was the Civil (all disciplines), EE (Computer; Electronics), Ag, Mining, Arch, Controls, Mat Sci, Naval.

The civil's alone make up 2/3 of all PE takers in a given year. Those other disciplines barely 3%. Civil's must've out-numbered everyone else 20:1 in October.
I wonder though, the board seems to have more non-civil people who are active, so I wonder if that is also driving the lower activity in the WTTS and spam threads? 

I'm trying to knock out all of my house projects I neglected this fall, before getting the results and maybe having to live and breath the exam again...I showed up to work with flecks of paint in my hair this morning. 

Lol'd at this. Trust me, I didn't study at all for my first go at the SE, and I can say with confidence if they didn't make that a rule after grading my exam, then you're definitely safe
It felt like I didn't study while taking it. I have moved into Phase 1. I'm calm, and I just really don't care anymore.  Wait, was there an apathy phase? Did I miss something? Maybe that is where I should be.

One month, plus a couple of days for SE.  Unless they purposely hold the PE results until after the regional exam closing, but continue to work on the SE grading.

I wonder though, the board seems to have more non-civil people who are active, so I wonder if that is also driving the lower activity in the WTTS and spam threads? 
I have trouble believing that CEs are the most introverted of all engineers but it seems to fit the evidence.

One month, plus a couple of days for SE.  Unless they purposely hold the PE results until after the regional exam closing, but continue to work on the SE grading.
I get the strong impression that the scoring and release of the two exams aren't connected. Maybe the SE will come out first this administration?

I have trouble believing that CEs are the most introverted of all engineers but it seems to fit the evidence.

I get the strong impression that the scoring and release of the two exams aren't connected. Maybe the SE will come out first this administration?
I think the scantron portions of the SE are graded on a similar time frame to the rest of the exams.  I don't think they start looking at the long answer problems until the scantrons are already graded, though. 

Back