October 2020 Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they can make state to state decision and not just blanket cancel the entire US.

One would think there are many venues that you can space people out much  more than 10 FEET ,  they may have to stagger arrival times and go outside their typical "norm" though, which is hard for NCEES to do..
in some states NCEES doesn't control those things.  In IL, the state hires the locations and the proctors. So that would be a nightmare to try to enforce.   

at least some people are still able to take the tests, there are now a couple in the CBT format.  

Iowa has been a 6ft table per person every time I have tested.  (Heck, it might even be an 8ft table) They would need to sort out the row spacing however.  The last time i tested the ME's were still in the room, so I imagine things have gotten better, capacity wise, and holding the exam on 2 days vs 1 day will help even more.  I'm hopeful for the exam taking place, since I don't know that I will be able to take another cancellation.

I mean all over this country people are going to work and managing this, this exam is a "big deal" I can see the shut down in the spring because of the unknowns..but to not find a way and do a cancellation the 2nd time is sort of a failure IMHO.

You can ask for exemptions to the state shutdown rules (Happens all the time) and there plenty of places with available space that normally host big events that would probably take some revenue (customers) maybe you have to pay a few more bucks for the exam to happen..

All over this country nurses deal with covid patients for 12+ hours a day and eat lunch / supper in a break room that makes "social distancing' impossible..and very little cross contaminating of each other......

I mean all over this country people are going to work and managing this, this exam is a "big deal" I can see the shut down in the spring because of the unknowns..but to not find a way and do a cancellation the 2nd time is sort of a failure IMHO.

You can ask for exemptions to the state shutdown rules (Happens all the time) and there plenty of places with available space that normally host big events that would probably take some revenue (customers) maybe you have to pay a few more bucks for the exam to happen..

All over this country nurses deal with covid patients for 12+ hours a day and eat lunch / supper in a break room that makes "social distancing' impossible..and very little cross contaminating of each other......
Not discounting the points you are making, there are many facilities that I am aware of that simply will not allow for anyone to even use the locations for groups larger than a dozen or so people.  I truly hope that alternatives can be found, but if not, it will not be because NCEES is not trying.

Glad to hear they are - I just hope they don’t give up.

But our state has similar “orders” on live gatherings but we seem to have a gathering of people at my office every day but everyone is 6+ feet apart - but a few hundred of us are all in the same building...

Maybe they could give the exams on airplanes since they seem to be exempt from such “orders”...

I am thinking this is a double-edge sword effect. On one edge, you can say that you have more preparation time. The reality is the exam will eventually be given either in the fall, upcoming Spring 2021 or some time in the far future. Either those timelines or your exam will have already progressed to the computer based examination. On the other edge, it brings down your morale to know that you have studied real hard for April 2020 and now it's Fall 2020 and the material you studied might have escaped you. Hang in there for the ones that are awaiting their State's decision. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to opt out on taking the fall exam. My team and I have some pretty major milestones to meet this year on our project and my daughter is starting kindergarten. Virtual school is going to be very interesting. And besides that I don't think I can take another cancellation blow. I think for my sanity and my families happiness it will be better if I start studying at the end of the year in preparation for the Power exam transitioning to CBT in 2021.

Good luck to everyone who is pressing forward. I hope you guys get to take the exam in Oct.

I think if I was in you all's situation I would opt out as well.

Good luck to all of you whatever you decide.

Finally got the NY State board approval sent to NCEES so I am going to stick with it and hope that they figure out some solution to keep the October exams. 

My plan is to continue to register and study until we are allowed to test. I was about 250hrs deep when they canceled the April 2020 exam. I registered for the Fall the day registration opened. I hope they do not cancel this time, but I am looking at it as reps. I will be happy if I get another 250+ this time.  Fingers crossed and good luck to those taking it in the fall.

"New exam day policies regarding measures being taken at exam locations will be communicated in early August 2020." 

This is part of the announcement from State of Washington PE Board.  The can be found here --          https://brpels.wa.gov/news/2020/ncees-october-2020-exam-update

This announcement may help answer whether everyone will be wearing masks. What happens if you cough during the exam?  Will there be temperature checks.  

We should be expecting the announce soon too.

Update from NCEES: 

"To help ensure the health, safety, and welfare of examinees and proctoring teams, NCEES is implementing the following measures for the October 2020 exam administration.

• No one may enter the exam facility if they have met any of the COVID-19 qualifications listed here.
  • Examinees and proctors will be required to wear face masks that cover the mouth and nose for the entire exam session. Face shields may not be used as a substitute for face masks but may be worn in addition to face masks. Face coverings must be removed for proper identification when instructed by a proctor. Proctors may visually inspect face coverings.
  • Examinees will be seated alone at a table properly spaced from other tables.
  • Examinees must practice social distancing outside the exam room before the exam starts, during breaks, and when the exam ends. Proctors will be asked to monitor examinees and ensure adequate space is being maintained.
  • Examinees will be allowed to have the following items in the exam room, but these items may not be placed on the desktop:
        •  Hand sanitizer and wipes
        •  Extra face coverings
        •  Disposable gloves
If you are unable or unwilling to follow these measures, please cancel your exam as soon as possible to help us seat as many examinees as possible during this administration. You must cancel your exam before registration closes on August 20 at 3:00 p.m. EDT in order to receive a full refund of your exam registration fee. Cancellations made after registration closes are not eligible for a refund.

Please note that all exam sites must comply with local capacity and social distancing requirements, which are subject to change at any time. Although every effort will be made to seat all registered examinees, any changes that require a further reduction in capacity may result in the cancellation of your exam and a full refund of your registration fee. NCEES is monitoring the situation and evaluating options to increase testing capacities. You will be notified if other testing options become available."

Not to discourage anybody but seriously, if somebody studies for 250+ hours and suddenly comes down with some symptoms a couple of days out, I doubt they would tell the proctors. 

Also, as we’ve seen with the school re-openings, some folks could get tested, take the exam, and then find out that they tested positive. No thanks. Like I said before, I’ll sit this one out.

If you decide to go through with it, be safe!

So about 2 weeks to decide... wearing a mask for 8+ hours and risk getting the virus by being indoors for a long period of time..

Study / Practice for the Exam by also wearing the mask some while you study.

But at least you will get a break every 4 hours to take it off for an hour - which is more than the folks working in infected ICU's get.

Update from NCEES: 

"To help ensure the health, safety, and welfare of examinees and proctoring teams, NCEES is implementing the following measures for the October 2020 exam administration.

• Examinees must practice social distancing outside the exam room before the exam starts, during breaks, and when the exam ends. Proctors will be asked to monitor examinees and ensure adequate space is being maintained.
I don't see how this is going to be possible.  I've taken the Civil PE twice (both fails, sadly) in Raleigh and the room and hallways outside the exam room have been slammed with people both times.  Factor in also the loads of books / exam materials that need to be moved and carried around.  

I don't see how this is going to be possible.  I've taken the Civil PE twice (both fails, sadly) in Raleigh and the room and hallways outside the exam room have been slammed with people both times.  Factor in also the loads of books / exam materials that need to be moved and carried around.  
Right?

Beyond that, Pennsylvania still has gathering restrictions on place for 25 people or fewer in indoor settings. I don't see this changing between now and then.

Back