October 2020 Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my Power pen and paper exam was cancelled, NYC. I tried to register for the CBT and apparently I have to submit all my paperwork to the board again.. I hope that doesn't include the fees I already paid...

Anyone know what to do?

So my Power pen and paper exam was cancelled, NYC. I tried to register for the CBT and apparently I have to submit all my paperwork to the board again.. I hope that doesn't include the fees I already paid...

Anyone know what to do?
Yeah, sorry to hear this.  I know it can be difficult, but I would recommend being patient for a little while longer.  NCEES has some things in the works which should be finalized as soon as these social conditions can allow.  Keep preparing as if you will be taking it soon.

I don't see how this is going to be possible.  I've taken the Civil PE twice (both fails, sadly) in Raleigh and the room and hallways outside the exam room have been slammed with people both times.  Factor in also the loads of books / exam materials that need to be moved and carried around.  

Right?

Beyond that, Pennsylvania still has gathering restrictions on place for 25 people or fewer in indoor settings. I don't see this changing between now and then.
Its going to tough! And it will take everyone's cooperation to pull it off.  

Anyone know what to do?
I don't think we should have to resubmit if you were already approved. I would suggest you reach out on their contact form and confirm with them. They might just have to go back into NCEES and re-appprove your account. I will probably be doing the same.

Yeah, sorry to hear this.  I know it can be difficult, but I would recommend being patient for a little while longer.  NCEES has some things in the works which should be finalized as soon as these social conditions can allow.  Keep preparing as if you will be taking it soon.

I don't think we should have to resubmit if you were already approved. I would suggest you reach out on their contact form and confirm with them. They might just have to go back into NCEES and re-appprove your account. I will probably be doing the same.

Thanks you guys are right, the stress of the cancellation really hit me hard lol. Gonna call them tomorrow and post an update

EDIT: So they automatically re-approved me this morning. NYC has the earliest date Jan 12 2021 from the locations I searched. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone know what to do?
Dark, my account was authorized to schedule the exam this morning. You should hopefully be able to as well.

This is probably only the beginning... There is a troubling statement in those Power cancellation emails that reads: 

"Recent changes to state and local requirements that further reduce capacity for groups and events will require NCEES to cancel some existing exam registrations." 

If I had to bet, others will be getting cancellations soon too. This is very frustrating.

Anyone know what to do?
I got the email as well. My big question is, how is the depth of the exam going to be different since we can no longer bring any reference material? The huge code books, sample problems, transmission, etc?? So many unknowns, I'm going to wait until I get the refund, and then re-register for the CBT. 

Best of luck, let me know if anyone has any ideas the breadth of this new exam type. 

I got the email as well. My big question is, how is the depth of the exam going to be different since we can no longer bring any reference material? The huge code books, sample problems, transmission, etc?? So many unknowns, I'm going to wait until I get the refund, and then re-register for the CBT. 

Best of luck, let me know if anyone has any ideas the breadth of this new exam type. 
You should download the CBT reference from the MyNCEES site. Review what's there, and start using that as your only reference for practice problems.

Somebody tell me how to feel

From NCEES:

Dear PE Civil examinee:

Changes to state and local requirements that further reduce capacities for groups and events are having a significant impact on NCEES exam sites for the October 2020 exam administration. NCEES will continue to monitor these changes between now and exam day. However, as noted during the exam registration process, any changes that require a further reduction in capacity at an exam site may result in the cancellation of your exam registration.

In an effort to accommodate as many pencil-and-paper examinees as safely as possible, NCEES has added a REGIONAL exam administration on January 26, 2021, for PE Civil examinees only. If you are concerned about the cancellation risk for the October exam administration, you may cancel your exam before registration closes on August 20, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. EDT and receive a full refund of your exam registration fee. Cancellations made by the examinee after registration closes are not refundable.

Registration for the regional PE Civil exam administration will open November 1, 2020, and close December 13, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. EST. The exam will be administered in the cities listed below. Additional cities may be added before registration opens. Examinees who are located outside of these states should check with their state licensing board prior to registering to determine their eligibility to test outside of their jurisdiction.

• Phoenix, AZ
  • Pomona, CA
  • San Mateo, CA
  • Hartford, CT
  • Orlando, FL
  • Topeka, KS
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Houston, TX
  • Seattle, WA

Examinees will be allowed to complete the registration process only when a seat is available for their selected site. However, capacity and social distancing requirements remain subject to change at any time and could impact your ability to test. NCEES will continue to make every effort to accommodate all registered examinees in a manner that protects the health and safety of everyone involved.

If you have any questions, please send us a message through your MyNCEES account.

NCEES

To me it sounds like NCEES is jumping through hoops to try and make the Oct pencil and paper exams happen. This situation sucks for everyone, and I feel for you all who are trying to take the exam. But I also feel like NCEES is doing all the right stuff to salvage whatever they can. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To me it sounds like NCEES is jumping through hoops to try and make the Oct pencil and paper exams happen. This situation sucks for everyone, and I feel for you all who are trying to take the exam. But I also feel like NCEES is doing all the right stuff to salvage whatever they can. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s exactly what’s happening. NCEES is doing everything they can to accommodate all candidates given the circumstances. And it may still not be enough. 

There is a new exam spec for the EE:power CBT:. You can find it at:

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Power-Jan-2021_CBT.pdf

You should download the CBT reference from the MyNCEES site. Review what's there, and start using that as your only reference for practice problems.
:plusone:

Somebody tell me how to feel

From NCEES:
I'll echo others above and say that it looks like NCEES is doing everything they can to accommodate given the circumstances.I never thought I'd see the day that NCEES went off schedule, so this clearly shows they are trying.

I won't comment on what this means for the broader pandemic, but this and other recent steps look like a positive development.

In other news, it sounds like we're going to have to make a Jan 2021 results subforum, WTTS, spam thread, and map. 

There is a new exam spec for the EE:power CBT:. You can find it at:

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Power-Jan-2021_CBT.pdf

:plusone:

I'll echo others above and say that it looks like NCEES is doing everything they can to accommodate given the circumstances.I never thought I'd see the day that NCEES went off schedule, so this clearly shows they are trying.

I won't comment on what this means for the broader pandemic, but this and other recent steps look like a positive development.

In other news, it sounds like we're going to have to make a Jan 2021 results subforum, WTTS, spam thread, and map. 
Thanks for this, I didn't see the new exam spec but that makes sense that all the code books are now available via PDF on exam day. 

Another thing I just saw is the registration cost went up significantly. for the pencil and paper it was $350 now it's $413 with tax.. 

Strange times, we will see what happens. 

Another thing I just saw is the registration cost went up significantly. for the pencil and paper it was $350 now it's $413 with tax.. 
idk? economies of scale? They have to spread people out more and that inefficiency causes price increases?

I know it sucks, but you won't care after you pass.

We received an email that NCEES has made changes to their plans for PE Civil October exam in certain cities. Here is their update  https://ncees.org/covid-19/ . We just wanted to let our students know you are covered under our Covid-19 Risk free enrollment, and that we'll be sending updated options to impacted students today via email. 

Thank You,

School of PE

Back