October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband's favorite meal is canned mackerel with sautéed onions over rice. the company his father worked for gave the workers a can of mackeral, biscuits (crackers), and tea in Jamaica back in the 1950s before Jamaican independence (it was a British territory).

To this day, if he's making that, I know he's really "home" sick. I just put him on a plane to go hang out with his mom. lol

If I remember correctly, the earthworm was first. When I was younger I was in the Boy Scouts (Eagle Scout here). It was during a summer camp, and we were in that time in during the afternoon where we didn’t have any classes to go to, and dinner wasn’t for a few hours. So somehow or another we had this container with worms in it for fishing. I don’t remember how it came about, but I do remember me wrapping a worm around a stick and roasting it with a lighter while 4-5 other boys watched. By the time I started roasting it with the lighter, everyone knew what was happening, so there was no need for a dare. I did eat it, and it tasted horrible.
texture? gritty? 

i'm curious but not curious enough to try it. lol

Mine is congee with chicken and rousong (<-- we don't call it this, we use the Cantonese word). Good for being sick, being cold, being hungry, and it's crazy cheap.
OMG I Want THIS!

I just googled it. They do a lot of porridge in Jamaica too. It's so cool to see the same techniques used in other cultures but remixed in a way that keeps it interesting. 

OMG I Want THIS!

I just googled it. They do a lot of porridge in Jamaica too. It's so cool to see the same techniques used in other cultures but remixed in a way that keeps it interesting. 
I've joked for years about doing a podcast called Sauce Talk where we dive into the history/science of sauces.  There would be *several* episodes about crossover sauces because I've got A LOT of thoughts on all that history.  I love food history.

OMG I Want THIS!

I already wanted to go to Jamaica, but now I SUPER want to go. Will request recommendations when the time comes.

The first housefly incident was again back during scouts. We were at a place over in New Mexico called Philmont where we were backpacking. What’s great about Philmont is each camp is setup for activities for scouts to do when they get to camp. For instance, we would wake up in the mornings, eat breakfast, breakdown camp, and hike for the day, then get to the next camp around 3pm and there was stuff to do like rock climbing, pole climbing, brick making, blacksmithing, rifle shooting, etc. This particular camp was set up like a pioneer homestead with goats, chickens, garden, etc. The people running this camp were venture scouts, and some of them were girls. We had the tasks of milking the goats, making bricks, and cleaning out the goat pens (we were #1 in the #2 business). Well, one of the girls that was overseeing us was drinking some sweet tea out of a mason jar. She had set it down for something and when she came back a fly had landed in it (there were a lot of flies around because of the livestock). She was going to throw the whole drink out, but I grabbed it and removed the fly for her. We were standing there and I was holding the fly in my hand as she said, “If you eat the fly I’ll give you some milk.” Without hesitation I threw the fly in my mouth and swallowed. She was shocked. Well, she had to hold up her end of the deal and she took me inside the little cabin that was there and gave me a glass of milk. Them venture scout girls are one of a kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've joked for years about doing a podcast called Sauce Talk where we dive into the history/science of sauces.  There would be *several* episodes about crossover sauces because I've got A LOT of thoughts on all that history.  I love food history.
ARE YOU Deborah Duchon???

Edit: Can I be a guest? I LOVE SAUCE AND ALSO I LOVE FOOD WHICH IS WHY I'M FAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back