Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. Last night kinda sucked, but not for the reason everyone thinks. Strength was back squat with a 3sec pause at the bottom, 6x4. Worked my way up to 132lbs. I realized I'm ridiculous and will just put on more and more 10lb plates instead of just using the kg plates because for some reason I think that they weigh less? Also, I hate pausing at the bottom. I have the bad habit of bottoming out every once in a while and then I kinda get stuck...

Accessory round was okay. Single leg squat to bench, which I did with a 10lb plate to counter, single leg RDL, which I did modified since I fall on my face doing normal RDLs, and planks with dumbbell pull through. As I was doing the SL squat, my left hip started acting up (this started aching a bit right before I went to Arkansas/before Memorial Day, but I thought it was just because of how I sit at work then doing long car drives). I ignored it as we went into conditioning, but it reared its ugly head during the simplest thing we had to do: mountain climbers.

I could do the 12 wallballs (though I really wanted to die), and the 15 slam balls were fine, but when I got down to start the 18 mountain climbers...it wasn't good. Like. My left leg kinda collapsed/I couldn't do the motion on one side? Trainer told me to modify and switch the box step ups, which didn't hurt at all, so I really have no idea what is going on with my hip? I rolled out my lower back and that area a little bit after class and made sure that I slept with my legs elevated/pillow in-between my legs last night. It's still a little achey today, so I might baby it a little. Maybe pop an ibuprofen if I can find one.
I know I broke Supe recommending this, but do you do pigeon stretches at all? That to me is a needed recovery for things like sitting in the car and lifting.

I know I broke Supe recommending this, but do you do pigeon stretches at all? That to me is a needed recovery for things like sitting in the car and lifting.
We actually do those sometimes as a warmup! I kinda started doing a modified sitting version of it today (where I cross my leg and then lean forward/hold and that actually directly targeted the area), but I might do a couple of them before I workout tonight and when I get home! It also doesn't help that this is week 2 of straight rain in Indy, which is making my bones ache.

I'd also recommend some of the warmups my guy currently has me doing. Side lying clamshells, open/close legs with bands just below the knees from seated position, etc. Whatever gets those muscles to fire/contract and release. I am sore after doing them, but its keeping everything else from going into spasm so far.

... Also, I hate pausing at the bottom. I have the bad habit of bottoming out every once in a while and then I kinda get stuck...
Interestingly. In the sport of Olympic lifting, people usually bottom out ("ass to grass," as they say). That's because heavy cleans and snatches are usually caught in a squat position as low as possible, that way you don't have to clean or snatch the weight as high. Crossfit also follows this approach because it incorporates the Olympic lifts.

In the sport of powerlifting, people stop at parallel. The lifting standard is that you have to get your thigh parallel to the ground for the rep to count. So there's no reason to go any lower. This has become the "casual" lifting standard, resulting in the misconception that going lower is bad for your knees.

Personally, I've always preferred to work out the full range of motion for every lift, so I like squating deep.

@jean15paul_PE when I say I bottom out I mean like...I squat too deep and then I get stuck because I load too quickly. Especially when I'm doing the pause at the bottom/you can't bounce out of it (which our trainers hate us bouncing and they want a smooth squat and/or explosion up). Our trainers want us to hit at least parallel, but prefer deeper. We don't do cleans and snatches with the bar as part of the fitness class, on with dumbbells, so our squatting is more: front squat, back squat, zercher, and I fell like a few others that you can get 'stuck' in.

I'd also recommend some of the warmups my guy currently has me doing. Side lying clamshells, open/close legs with bands just below the knees from seated position, etc. Whatever gets those muscles to fire/contract and release. I am sore after doing them, but its keeping everything else from going into spasm so far.
This, plus get yourself a mini-band and wrap it three times (yes, it will look tiny, but you will fit) and then do some lateral walks and then forward and backward walks with that band up over your thighs.

Or drop the cash on one of these cushy ones that come with a program- Hip & Core System

This, plus get yourself a mini-band and wrap it three times (yes, it will look tiny, but you will fit) and then do some lateral walks and then forward and backward walks with that band up over your thighs.

Or drop the cash on one of these cushy ones that come with a program- Hip & Core System
Ugh. That costs money!!! I might just go to class early and grab a band and do some walks before/after.

I did not go to the gym yesterday since it was my 'fuck off' day (I also skipped work/called in sick and slept until 1pm). It was sumo deadlifts. That I kinda wanted to do. *sigh* Tonight will probably be arms. I do think my bench is getting better, I'm consistently getting 90+ lbs. I remember when I first started I could do the bar + 5lbs on each side and I'd get winded!

Ugh. That costs money!!! I might just go to class early and grab a band and do some walks before/after.

I did not go to the gym yesterday since it was my 'fuck off' day (I also skipped work/called in sick and slept until 1pm). It was sumo deadlifts. That I kinda wanted to do. *sigh* Tonight will probably be arms. I do think my bench is getting better, I'm consistently getting 90+ lbs. I remember when I first started I could do the bar + 5lbs on each side and I'd get winded!
Nice progress!!! You'll be upping those weights in no time. I have my "F-off" weekends but I don't go too crazy eating (1 or 2 heavy meals the whole weekend).

Nice progress!!! You'll be upping those weights in no time. I have my "F-off" weekends but I don't go too crazy eating (1 or 2 heavy meals the whole weekend).
Lol, my last 'f-off' weekend was at my relatives house in Little Rock this past Memorial Day weekend. ...my uncle, who is 6'3" and super solid, plated my food for me. I think I ate like 3000-4000+ calories a day when I was down there. I def wanted to die.

@Supe stop liking that I wanted to die after eating too much! I remember when I used to be able to eat an entire pizza by myself and now I'm like "a big salad with some avocado for dinner sounds delightful!" or "oh, that baked salmon filled me up, I might not be able to finish my asparagus" as I look at myfitnesspal and I somehow have 500+ calories left for my day.

Lol, my last 'f-off' weekend was at my relatives house in Little Rock this past Memorial Day weekend. ...my uncle, who is 6'3" and super solid, plated my food for me. I think I ate like 3000-4000+ calories a day when I was down there. I def wanted to die.
1623336304745.png

anigif_sub-buzz-762-1562005939-14.gif

Still figuring that out...

I remember when I used to be able to eat an entire pizza by myself
Uhm...this was last weekend for me. Oops.

On topic: back on track with functional eating M-F. Honestly, I felt so horrible (physically, but mentally, 'twas excellent!) after pizza that it was super appealing to eat like a good Square and I should still make my weigh-in tomorrow. I guess I should exercise today...

Yesterday was arms and oh how I hate it! 5x3 regular bench, followed by deloading and then doing 2 reps of AMRAP. Got up to 107lbs on my regular reps, deloaded to 77lb (aka bar + 10kg on each side) and hit 12 reps the first round and then 10 the next. So. I think this means I need to start with 10kg from now on with bench instead of 10lb'ers. Accessory was chin-ups + dumbbell or barbell push press + abs (I did dead bugs). Half of the time, my chin ups were pull ups because I'm dumb, and I'm still using the black band...but I'm using the black band that is the narrowest one, so idk if that means I'm getting better? Push press I did 20lb dumbbells. It was tough.

Conditioning...was not fun. It was 21-15-9 rep and we had to choose our exercises out of a jar. Instead of being able to choose what exercise was done for what number, the trainer was like 'no, you do all three exercises for each of the rep sets'. I'm so happy I didn't get the skier or thrusters! I got DB snatch, weighted step ups, and DB deadlift. I...wanted 20lb...but one of the other girls had them...so I did 25lb...which is great, but I was legit dying on the step ups because I was dumb and didn't do things as a sequence, I was more like 'I've done 30 snatches, only 15 more, I'll just do them right now'. So. I did 45 step-ups in a row and wanted to die.

Yesterday was arms and oh how I hate it! 5x3 regular bench, followed by deloading and then doing 2 reps of AMRAP. Got up to 107lbs on my regular reps, deloaded to 77lb (aka bar + 10kg on each side) and hit 12 reps the first round and then 10 the next. So. I think this means I need to start with 10kg from now on with bench instead of 10lb'ers. Accessory was chin-ups + dumbbell or barbell push press + abs (I did dead bugs). Half of the time, my chin ups were pull ups because I'm dumb, and I'm still using the black band...but I'm using the black band that is the narrowest one, so idk if that means I'm getting better? Push press I did 20lb dumbbells. It was tough.

Conditioning...was not fun. It was 21-15-9 rep and we had to choose our exercises out of a jar. Instead of being able to choose what exercise was done for what number, the trainer was like 'no, you do all three exercises for each of the rep sets'. I'm so happy I didn't get the skier or thrusters! I got DB snatch, weighted step ups, and DB deadlift. I...wanted 20lb...but one of the other girls had them...so I did 25lb...which is great, but I was legit dying on the step ups because I was dumb and didn't do things as a sequence, I was more like 'I've done 30 snatches, only 15 more, I'll just do them right now'. So. I did 45 step-ups in a row and wanted to die.
At least you didn't die!!! :) (y) (no pain no gain)

My workout this morning was all deadlifts and then finished with calf raises on the leg press.

I pieced together a 4 mile cross country loop around my neighborhood (that I can repeat for 8 if needed) so I'll start doing that and try to get faster and faster. It's mostly dirt so I like that. Comes with pull up bars on the course so every lap I get to do as many as I can (it's not many).

Yesterday started with a 1 mile warmup, moderate pace. 80F with a breeze, not bad. Hit an 8 minute mile on the gravel track section but felt like I was gonna die. Grassy 1 mile section is pretty hard b/c grass is squishy so was only able to hit 9 minutes. Cool down mile felt good, I think my recovery is fine but I need to do more speedwork drills to bump up my top end, I don't like feeling winded if I know my legs can go faster. I stop the timer for pull ups. Also, TIC (today I confirmed) I'm weak AF. Will work at it! Need to be a rectangle!

bands for pullups
Aka: my lifestyle choice. I hate bands because they force me to actually do the movement, whereas before I go to just flail about on the ground.

Also...went to lunch with some co-workers. Had a super huge fried chicken sandwich. I...really have to assess if I'm going to the gym tonight. I have not eaten anything fried in a while and things are already feeling a bit grumbly.

My gym finally got heir Jacobs ladder fixed , so will go torture myself on that soon.

signed up to do a 5k about a month from now.

May go walk Misery Trail (its actual) name) at state park near my house tomorrow. It is narrow steep and winding. But been raining most of today so may delay it.

Back