Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The squat rack is out of storage and set up. My last full workout was awhile ago, so the squats on Sunday and deadlifts yesterday have me feeling pretty sore. Will be nice to get back into the groove to get a good workout without doms.

Tonight we did a ton of bench press stuff. 12 rounds, EMOM, going from wide, to normal, to narrow, bench press. I only maxed at 17.75lb on each side, since it was a lot of rounds. We then went to chin-ups and box dips. I DID CHIN-UPS. Granted, they were with the scary purple band, but I did the 6 chin-ups per round for 6 rounds. I kinda died at 6, so I attempted negatives for the last two (which weren’t required), and I feel like I might actually be getting stronger? Goals for 2021 are getting started in 2020!!!

Last part of workout killed me, though. 15 kbs, followed by front rack carry, then 10 thrusters, with more front carries back and forth. The thrusters killed me after all the presses/chin-ups. I started at 20lb dumbbells and then dropped to 15lb...and I still died. 

BUT ITS ALL IN THE PURSUIT OF GETTING GAINS. 

...which is promptly ruined by drinking a ton of trash beer bourbon, and giant burger tonight for dinner. 

Snatch grip deadlifts 5x2 

OH presses 5x10

pullups 3 x max

Single arm DB rows 3x10

my legs aren’t as sore as I thought they would be after Hero WOD Chad. 

I am sad. I went to class today, and I was the only one there. It was horrible. We did 4 rounds of 8 strict press + push press AMRP for 2:15 each round. I wanted to die. Followed by some normal stuff (inverted rings + dumbbell presses) then last round was 15 wall balls, 12 reverse lunges (w/medicine ball) and a few laps while holding the medicine ball. For 12 minutes. And because I was the only one doing it, I wanted to die (even more so). My arms and back are so tired now. So tired. 

But! Gym tomorrow as well!!!! Have to get stronger!!!

O HEY.  GUESS WHAT WE DID ON SATURDAY?  AFTER I DID ALL THAT ARM NONSENSE ON FRIDAY BY MYSELF.  MORE ARM ****.

Saturday = 10 rounds, OMEM.  10 pullups.  10 bench dumbbell push presses.  I did the pullups with the big purple band and got to around 8ish before I tapped out (but it's better, I think, than doing the TRX?).  Did 30lbs for the dumbbell pushes.  THEN WE HAD TO THE DEATH PARTNER WORKOUT.  4min straight hang, switching off when you let go.  I could maybe do 20-30seconds straight before I switched.  This was then followed by 100 wall balls, I split them with my partner.  I am sure I did more than the 50, even though we switched every 10.  Then we slammed through 100 weighted goblet squats, which my partner and I did amazing at.  So I've done 50+ wall balls per day, back to back, after a hard arm exercise.

Sometimes, wall balls are easy/I somehow fall into the rhythm, other times...I'm lucky I don't slam myself in the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
O HEY.  GUESS WHAT WE DID ON SATURDAY?  AFTER I DID ALL THAT ARM NONSENSE ON FRIDAY BY MYSELF.  MORE ARM ****.

Saturday = 10 rounds, OMEM.  10 pullups.  10 bench barbell push presses.  I did the pullups with the big purple band and got to around 8ish before I tapped out (but it's better, I think, than doing the TRX?).  Did 30lbs for the barbell pushes.  THEN WE HAD TO THE DEATH PARTNER WORKOUT.  4min straight hang, switching off when you let go.  I could maybe do 20-30seconds straight before I switched.  This was then followed by 100 wall balls, I split them with my partner.  I am sure I did more than the 50, even though we switched every 10.  Then we slammed through 100 weighted goblet squats, which my partner and I did amazing at.  So I've done 50+ wall balls per day, back to back, after a hard arm exercise.

Sometimes, wall balls are easy/I somehow fall into the rhythm, other times...I'm lucky I don't slam myself in the face.
Sounds like you're having a ton of fun

Dear jaykay fitness journal;

Yesterday was not fun.  Back squats with a 3-second pause are fine, but not four in a row, followed immediately by another four explosive/normal back squats.  Doing this for five rounds was not fun.  Following this with weighted single leg RDLs, side dips, and loaded Cossack squats = not fun.  The 12 walking lunges with overhead plate (which I dropped after one rounds), not fun, the 14 dumbbell snatches, not fun, the 10 burpees, which involved me mostly flopping on the floor in a weird half-crawl motion, were def not fun.  Having to do that sequence for five rounds was the ultimate not fun.

Yesterday was not fun.  We'll see if tonight is slightly better.

Yours truly, jaykay

Maybe an upper body range of motion tonight?

~we are doing a burpee challenge at the gym this month, winner gets a new pair of shoes (or $100) but the top 3 people already have over 2000 :(    you know those running stickers that say 0.0  thats me..

Anyone done Orange Theory? I like to give my boss **** who does this (I often ask him if he has anyone in the class who isnt a senior citizen?) - So Ive been challenged to go to their class tomorrow at lunch - he is in town and another person here who goes to the same place are going - I cant really find what they do other than rowing and running and some DB jazzercise stuff?  

I need to come up with a plan to dominate ;)

I've never done OTF, but know at least one person who swears by it. It's all about cardio and keeping your hear rate way up, with a competitive aspect to it, from my understanding. I'd say, get ready to sweat!

so I ended up doing it this morning, it was actually kind of fun.  Id be willing to add this in once a week for a heavy cardio type program since my new gym doesnt do as much heavy aerobic stuff like my old one.

Sort of weird they only did half (plank) burpees, which dont feel good on my shoulder so I just did full burpees - I had to borrrow a hear rate monitor and it died halfway through so I dont know how many splat points I got but I left those people in the dust on the rower ( what they call the indoor waterless rower?) -

They also use some sort of weird ab roller (thing you sit on with wheels)  

Went to class on Tuesday, because one of the girls who goes to class was like 'come on Tuesday, please, so I'm not alone'.  Class was much better!  We did bench press 8-6-4-3-2 sequence.  I got soooo close to benching 100 lbs!  Got to 98lb (bar + 32.5lbs on each side).  And the only reason I wasn't able to finish the 2 at the end is because I started overthinking when I needed to breath.  As in, I let out a huge breath as I lowered for the second rep, which obviously meant I lost all momentum.  

The crossfit trainer was the one who was teaching that night, she does Tu/Th evenings and M/W/Fri mornings.  She mentioned she was only going to do burpees once a week (which made me sigh in joy), and she corrected my bench press form so my lower back didn't hurt after pressing (I think her correcting it, as a fellow woman, meant she understood what was going on a little better and was able to pinpoint more accurately vs. the male trainers, that want more of a classical weight lifter form).  

Going to class again tonight, even though I'm a little sore.  3 days in a row seems excessive.

Wednesday was deadlift (yay!), but it was tempo deadlifts with 2-second pause at the knee (noooo).  I couldn't go too heavy (bar + 30kg + 45 lbs ~ 145lb total), but I do feel like the tempo and the trainer really explaining the position for the feet hands helped me figure out my breathing and how to hinge my hips better.  I did not bottom out and I realized I BREATHE REALLY LOUD WHEN I SUCK IN MY AIR.  Like, I use a technique from when I used to sing a lot, which resulting in kinda a loud slurping/hissing noise when I rapid inhale, and it's super loud and I never realized since I only did it before in chorus (where everyone else does the same).

We did burpees again.  But I did a little better on them/was able to actually 'jump' my feet back and front at the bottom vs. Monday where I was like crawling into the burpee.  I think it's more because I wasn't totally bushed on Monday from waking early for work and then going fully into the exercise.  Also, we had to do a little running, which I'm horrible at, but it was just back and forth for 50seconds for the round, and I wasn't totally dead at the end?

Idk.  Not sure about getting stronger, but I'm happy I'm not getting so winded?

Back