Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think of sumo as a knee hinge and not a hip hinge
Yeah, I think that's what the trainer was trying to explain to me, but it was also at the end of the rep and I hate using the modified over/under grip, so I was being super frustrated and just forced my way through it.  I mean, on one hand, I like that they're making me learn to have the super correct form, but I also hate it because it means I need to go slower and can't just explode into it (one of the other trainers made me do a slow lift to around 2" off the ground before completing the lift and I wanted to be like "I hate you so much, I am not an actual exercise person, let me just pick up the weight and put it down"

Also...I still feel super uncomfortable just dropping my weight.  I need to get over that and not be scared of making big noise.

You ain’t elite unless you drop your weights. That’s how crossfitters signal each other. 
Good thing I'm not a crossfitter.

Friday workout: Good Mornings with a barbell?  I felt like I was doing them wrong because they seemed so easy?  Followed by rowing the barbell, RDLs, and TRX supermans.  Conditioning was wall balls + reverse lunges + row +rest EMOM without pause in between.  It was horrible.  I am super bad at wall balls, mostly because I tend to oversquat and then get stuck at the bottom and it's super hard to explode out from that.

Saturday workout: Dumbbell rows + bench press followed by horrible dumbbell push press, front rack forward lunges, and front rack carry.  Last bit of class was sled sprint + medicine ball slams + more reverse lunges.  Why are they making us do so many lunges?  This seems unnecessary and mean.

Friday workout: Good Mornings with a barbell?  I felt like I was doing them wrong because they seemed so easy?
Add weight or slow down in both directions.  Your ass/hamstrings should be on fire.

Add weight or slow down in both directions.  Your ass/hamstrings should be on fire.
I was going pretty slow.  My hamstrings felt it a little bit.  I only had 60lbs + the bar.  Idk.  It was the first time I was doing the movement, so I wanted to go a little light to make sure I wasn't going to kill myself.  I'm used to just doing good mornings with a plate in my hands, which I felt actually was more unbalanced than the barbell version.

Idk.  Live and learn.  Will do more later!

The new trainer is a crossfitter.  The new exercises are not fun.  We only did 3 sets of 6 for push press and then everything else was accessory and conditioning.  I didn't join this gym to do crossfit.  I joined this gym to do weightlifting.

And then I slammed a 25lb dumbbell on my finger and it's super sad right now.  I hope I don't lose the nail...just because they're pains in the ass to regrow.

I was going pretty slow.  My hamstrings felt it a little bit.  I only had 60lbs + the bar.  Idk.  It was the first time I was doing the movement, so I wanted to go a little light to make sure I wasn't going to kill myself.  I'm used to just doing good mornings with a plate in my hands, which I felt actually was more unbalanced than the barbell version.

Idk.  Live and learn.  Will do more later!
Either go up in weight, or you can a) use a "high bar" barbell position instead of low bar, which decreases your leverage and makes it harder, and b) do more of a "bend at the waist" and less of a "push your butt back".  By not pushing your butt back so far, you feel more off balance during the movement, making it much more difficult.  A lot of people who also squat probably push their butt back out of habit and turn the movement into a lousy squat more so than a good morning.  

Surely they have a program they run that the trainers implement?  (or did he just go off the rails in the accessory work?)

new gym has some of the very grippy (competition) bars and man oh man do they really help out for deadlifts. 

Either go up in weight, or you can a) use a "high bar" barbell position instead of low bar, which decreases your leverage and makes it harder, and b) do more of a "bend at the waist" and less of a "push your butt back".  By not pushing your butt back so far, you feel more off balance during the movement, making it much more difficult.  A lot of people who also squat probably push their butt back out of habit and turn the movement into a lousy squat more so than a good morning.  
Nah.  I never push my butt out, which is why my RDLs and everything suck, because I tend to lock my knees and get matchstick legs.  I def was just bending at the waist.  Idk.  Hopefully we get to do this again so I can tinker more with it.

@RG - The programming I think is done week by week, with each trainer taking an opportunity to program.  The new trainer is a crossfitter/she's done a lot of training I think at university level?  It just sucks because a lot of her programming is for dumbbell and when there are three other girls in the class...it means I need to grab the 5lbs or the 25lbs...both which do not help me to do the conditioning.  I'm just a little angry because I signed up for this gym/training because it was weight lifting based (lower impact/more lifting) and the new trainer doesn't seem to program for that...and I just signed up for a yearly plan at this gym because I really liked the programming.

Hopefully it's only a week/she won't be doing all the programming going forward.

It’s wild to think programming on a week to week basis. With different trainers program each week.  

It’s wild to think programming on a week to week basis. With different trainers program each week.  
I mean, it follows a usual pattern of: track warmup/basic warmup, barbell lifting, accessory, then conditioning.  But now they're cutting the barbell lifting shorter and shorter to make the accessory and conditioning rounds be 6 rounds instead of 4 rounds and adding another section at the end for a specific muscle group/targeted workout.

I'm not really liking the new trainer programming.  She's nice.  But not enjoying it.

If your unhappy id ask the owners -I wish I had done that sooner at my last place.Still glad we left but also wish I didnt have to go out in a scorched earth way..

But Id like to think most places have a year long programming in place, it seems well go heavy barbell stuff for a while and forget about the "XF" stuff and then it comes back when youre not expecting it. So it might be part of their programming to add in a little more conditiong?  I personally hate doing dumbell cleans, snatches, etc, they are draining and dont seem as fun as when you do them with a bar

Also - I didnt like that I did a cardio workout that hid 92 burpees in it last night :(

Back