Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also can I drop this here? (note-I am 3 years away from 50)

workout today was just a 1.5 mile sprint... sadly I was last by at least 30 seconds, but was still glad to see a sub 8 min mile (after not really having run a mile since Memorial Day)

IMG_3720.jpg

Tomorrow is Fran. 

Yesterday I discovered a child-size barbell in the gym. I told my coach that was my Fran barbell and she told me she was going to hide it. 

I've only ever done Invisible Fran. I guess I feel better that we're not doing Filthy Fran?

I drug a 103-lb sled around the block today, while holding a kb in a high goblet. Maybe a 1/4 way through, I dropped that sucker down and just kept it in a farmer's carry, switching hands. I definitely felt like I was trying to get way too much luggage through the airport. 

There was a girl brought her own barbell to the gym on the day we were doing overhead squats (it was purple) you could get your own and bring it? - but i think if you bring your own barbell you need to be throwing some weight around, sort of like having your own bowling ball ;)

Ive never done Fran- our old gym owner I think he was paranoid he had too many old people and it would kill our shoudlers.

Good Luck!  You can probably rx the weight?  I would have to be banding the pull ups (which I am sick of doing)

I only own the 1983 Sears Roebuck barbell at home that takes the concrete weights. It has zero street cred. 

This is why I'm glad we spend so much time in accessory on shoulder strength. I think if I just tried half this shit with my old body, I would blow out a shoulder. 

Whoa. I might be able to RX the thrusters. I'm definitely going to be on some banded something or ring rowing for Jesus. I kind of want to never ring row again right now, so I'm looking to dial in nutrition so I can finally lift my fat ass up over the bar. 

I only understand half of the words in the previous post, but yay for dialing in nutrition, csb! Also, my shoulders are (I think) my weakest part of my body. It's wear I always tire out first in things like planks, and often find I can't use as high weights for the exercises I use to strengthen my shoulders as I can for my biceps/triceps/chest.

I only understand half of the words in the previous post, but yay for dialing in nutrition, csb! Also, my shoulders are (I think) my weakest part of my body. It's wear I always tire out first in things like planks, and often find I can't use as high weights for the exercises I use to strengthen my shoulders as I can for my biceps/triceps/chest.
Thanks!

I'd recommend finding some really light weights (I tend to use 2.5lb plates after a workout) and do some lateral raises. Just lift them up to the front, 45 degrees, and then to the sides, 3 rounds of 10. It feels like, "This is such a light weight!" at first and then it burns. There's also a lot of mini-band things to try. 

Thanks!

I'd recommend finding some really light weights (I tend to use 2.5lb plates after a workout) and do some lateral raises. Just lift them up to the front, 45 degrees, and then to the sides, 3 rounds of 10. It feels like, "This is such a light weight!" at first and then it burns. There's also a lot of mini-band things to try. 
My workout program does work in a good amount of lateral raises: front, side, and Y (which is roughly the 45 degrees, but with the dumbbells in the hammer position). The sides are by far the hardest for me! I'm typically using 8 lb dumbbells. My next size up in dumbbells is usually adjustable weights set to, I dunno, 16-18 lbs? Sometimes I really wish I had some 10 or 12 lb dumbbells.

Also I think it was mentioned before, but DANG overhead squats are hard! I have to focus really hard and not go as deep to avoid lifting my heels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I used to oly lift one dude had an Eleiko bar that only he and the gym owner got to use. I think the bar was about $1k. It was sweet I got use it a couple times and I swear it did make snatches and jerks easier. 

Weight lifting shoes! 
Talk to Mr. Leggo. I do NOT need another pair of shoes, haha! I'm actually trying to not buy anything new clothes/shoes-wise in general, and since I'm working out at home, I normally do my workouts barefoot on my yoga mat.

Talk to Mr. Leggo. I do NOT need another pair of shoes, haha! I'm actually trying to not buy anything new clothes/shoes-wise in general, and since I'm working out at home, I normally do my workouts barefoot on my yoga mat.
If not going for speed/intensity, I really like lifting barefoot. I can really feel the ground and make sure my weight is evenly balanced.

My workout program does work in a good amount of lateral raises: front, side, and Y (which is roughly the 45 degrees, but with the dumbbells in the hammer position). The sides are by far the hardest for me! I'm typically using 8 lb dumbbells. My next size up in dumbbells is usually adjustable weights set to, I dunno, 16-18 lbs? Sometimes I really wish I had some 10 or 12 lb dumbbells.

Also I think it was mentioned before, but DANG overhead squats are hard! I have to focus really hard and not go as deep to avoid lifting my heels.
Ankle mobility is my biggest win from this summer. I spend a lot of time squatting all the way down. I usually have to hold onto something if it's the first few rounds. Just get down into it and wait. That made a huge difference in all my squats. 

OHS, for me, is all about remembering that I have core muscles and that I should use them. Otherwise I look like one of those inflatable things in front of a car dealership. 

For OHS, it took me a long time to get used to the fact that the bar should not be directly over my head, but actually slightly behind my head when squatting. It needs to stay over your feet. As you squat, your head goes forward slightly, but the bar has to stay back.

For OHS, it took me a long time to get used to the fact that the bar should not be directly over my head, but actually slight behind my head when squatting. It needs to stay over your feel. As you squat, your head goes forward slightly, but the bar has to stay back.
I think this would be easier to do if I was using said bar! I use two dumbbells.

I PR'd my deadlift- 200 lbs. I'm now wondering if 205 is in my wheelhouse and my brain stopped the lift. Watching the video of the failed lift, I actually had it up higher than I thought I did. 

Anybody else done a Pallof Press? I like them. They are core work with the added bonus of trying to not let the resistance band whip me back into the rig. 

Pallof-Press.gif

Back