Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I am from the South, my mom was born in NY so squash and such was never  a part of our meal plan and its been hard for me to adapt to that as an adult - but we did a ton of weird stuff with zucchni this summer (no not "that weird)
Super weird. We at a ton of squash/kale/random root vegetables like parsnips and rutabaga while growing up.  My mom liked splitting and roasting acorn squash for us. She also liked making mashed turnips and stuff like that. Where in NY was your mom from? Just asking because where we are on LI is pretty far out East/on the North Fork so we’re surrounded by all the farm stands. One of my favorite things growing up was mom’s chicken soup (so many root veggies and no soggy noddles). 

I don’t know exactly but I think it was close to the city. Her dad was born in Italy (came here at a young age)- but they just had a very stale menu and that continued to our house - but it was just not very vegetable friendly (like in the south where it’s collards, squash everything, okra, turnips, etc)

my dads mom was German and they also had a pretty bland “diet”- my dad was treated like a spoiled child (like most boomers) and to this day only eats about 5 different things...

we made cauliflower mashed potatoes last time they were here (with some High dollar steaks& he acted like a child) - but I kind of did it on purpose to see how they would react- but really if you add some butter they are pretty damn good 

Also we ordered a ladies bar (35lb) and some rubber  plates from rogue  to get us by in case the gyms have to shut down here .   The lady that owns ours said if she has to close she won’t reopen :(   -  some counties are closing them again- even though there really isn’t any data that says they are a high risk - I think it just makes the Colorado Karen’s feel better 

I'm now set up with enough gear for if we shut down again to be able to do most things. I'd probably miss the rig the most this time around. 

Today my coach set it up that I did banded pull-ups, but with the band across the j-hooks on the rig. It was way better than trying to hook a leg in the band! Listen, was it pretty? No. Did I need the band that looks like an elephant is about to work out? Yes. Was I so gosh darn grateful to not be in ring row hell? YES. There was a point during the setup where it looked like it might not work (I was not getting my chin over the bar) and I said, "I can't do more ring rows," and she said, "I don't blame you." It was super nice to be on the rig with the cool kids, even though I had a training wheels. 

(psst- did anyone see Dave Castro's gun?)

This was the first year I watched the games on saturday- it was neat but there isnt much actual "content"

Since Glassman and Dave claim XF was invented to help the military people in the Afghanistan Mountains train without having to use the typcal military training (outdoors running where snipers would shoot them) - id like to see them do training like the military, lack of sleep, no food, etc - instead of Dave's go back and run that again trick - lets see them have to do this on 1 hour sleep and no food.  

I didnt really notice the sidearm until it was pointed out on social media, maybe he thought they woud attack him after making them turn around and do the run again?

Also im glad my gym is inside a shopping center with no hills close by..

maxresdefault.jpg

I both love and hate using the banded pull ups, I try and keep them to the minimum so I can still struggle some but not be bouncing up and down! I cant crank out as many as the workouts require but Iike to be able to a couple (but I am far from cranking out 21-15-9) for example..

New place has open gym on Sundays which is cool, we never had that at the old place. Wife has to work today so she went in  Sunday morning and did the Monday workout (before being called into work Sunday afternoon) -it was mainly back squats so I was just spotting her and working on some pull ups on the side- but for times you have to travel & miss a workout or just work on stuff its a nice option to have- especially for stuff like rope climbs, those GHD things and non typical stuff..

Yeah, I'd totally like to see them sleep in holes and then try it again. 

Supposedly there's mountain lions in the area? I dunno. I think maybe Castro was like, "It ends here, Fraser." 

I have been doing jumping pull-ups and these felt better than those. I think because I wasn't worried about shoving my face into the bar. 

Open gym is my favorite. I can take pictures of my butt to send to my friends work on things that elude me during a workout. Our gym has people who show up to do the Saturday program, but a lot of Saturday is people just doing their thing for 2 hours. For me it's also figuring out what my 1RM looks like on things and also what some of the cardio stuff looks like. I hate when I jump on a website and it's like, "Well, take your 200m pace for the row" and I don't know what that is at all. Now I have a 5K row time and a 1RM for a few things. That's helpful instead of "Meh, let's start here. 

I felt so bad for that one girl that went the wrong direction.  

The games have to suck for competitors this year - you have to work out to the point of puking, only to see Fraser and Toomey whoop your ass with no fans there to motivate you.  

I dont know how many athletes they typically have? But it defin had a werid setting with only 10 people -

Maybe Castro was trying to test his new Boulder Boss with the pistol? or maybe it was a clue to Atalanta?

But id like to see something like my final PT test to graduate OCS - I had to make the minium score on a Sunday to be able to graduate Wednesay (after having taken a PT test every week the previous 12 weeks and passed) ........ but I picked up a stomach bug on Friday, tried to sleep saturday, but my test consisted of:

Push ups - 42, then a trip to the porta potty

Sit ups - 62, then a trip to the porta potty

2 mile run, on a track, about one trip to the porta potty every 2 laps

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
so rechecking my numbers overall , as the 52,443 fittest man, ive got to push 52, 250 +/- down the stairs to get an invite next year :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
So a lot of movements make me dizzy and I've been working on finding solutions. For instance, wall balls require me to look at the target and not take my eyes off of it. Does anyone have any tips for burpees? Lately, thanks to a month of allergy congestion, I've been doing them on a box (I drop down to a box, push up, come up. The only difference is I don't go all the way to the floor.) I can do 10-15 normal burpees okay, but up above that and I get really lightheaded from the up/down. 

Today:

Split Jerk 2-2-1-1-1 working up to heavy (1RM)

EMOMx5 Power clean-Power Clean-Power Squat Clean (70% of 1RM)

Finished the split on three rounds of 95-lb (See, @JayKay PE? Little weights for me.) I feel like I'm starting to get the feel of this movement. It's still pretty new to me and it's one of those that you can't think too much in- you gotta just punch it to get it up (heh). 

Power clean was only 65 lb. This was a movement I struggled with about a month ago, maybe back in August? It feels a lot better after I went in for open gym and just cleaned. I finally felt that magic moment where the bar is near weightless. I told my coach, "It's like a rollercoaster! I know when I feel that weight disappear, I need to do something!" This is after I was struggling and she was like, "Fast! Get under it!" and I was moving way too slowly to get under anything. My weight I failed at awhile ago was 95. I'd like to take an open gym and work up to that 1RM. 

The solution (to stop the dizzyness) is more burpees? 

My burpee game has been slow in the last few monhts, just cant quite get in that "push it" pace - esepcially if it involves jumping over a bar or the rower :(  

Weve yet to work on the split jerk- in general does it matter which leg goes forward?  Ive still got some stiffness in the left knee and when I practice it empty its a wee bit sensitive?

Pro tip, you know what helps with burpees?  A strong bench press....

After I bench my lower back always hurts.  Am I arching too little/do I need to get in a more ridiculous pose?

( @csb I've never done split jerk or power clean.  We just do rack work since the real oly lifters are next to us and would prob be concerned if we tried to actually pretend to be weight lifters, lol).

Weve yet to work on the split jerk- in general does it matter which leg goes forward?  Ive still got some stiffness in the left knee and when I practice it empty its a wee bit sensitive?
The leg that you feel most comfortable with goes forward. We did a PVC progression today that at first just had us lunge. I think that helped, rather than the panic of "Where do my feet go?!" while I'm trying to lift something. 

I see what you did there. So as I'm using the box for my burpee, my arms give out and I drop my face...twice. That was my clue to pop that box up to it's higher section. I think having a stronger upper body might actually help, along with some core, but who wants core strength? 

After I bench my lower back always hurts.  Am I arching too little/do I need to get in a more ridiculous pose?

( @csb I've never done split jerk or power clean.  We just do rack work since the real oly lifters are next to us and would prob be concerned if we tried to actually pretend to be weight lifters, lol).
You never call yourself a "real" anything you try in the fitness world. You always diminish your efforts and I'm going to tell you that you are a real lifter. You are a real oly lifter. You lift things- you are a weight lifter. You were a real kickboxer before. Own your strength. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

Back