Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do them as a warmup.  I'll also do them with a half twist.  I like them best with bands.

Awesome job on the deadlift!  I saw the video on FB.  If I can give one bit of constructive criticism, you did the classic "jerk the bar up" from the floor that I see from a lot of deadlifters.  This can cause your back to round and butt to come up as the weight increases, but can also be dangerous to your bicep when you pull with a mixed grip.  Try getting everything tight and take the slack out of the bar before you actually try to break the weight off the floor.  This video describes what I mean, ignore the fact that the advice is coming from a Canadian.

I do them as a warmup.  I'll also do them with a half twist.  I like them best with bands.

Awesome job on the deadlift!  I saw the video on FB.  If I can give one bit of constructive criticism, you did the classic "jerk the bar up" from the floor that I see from a lot of deadlifters.  This can cause your back to round and butt to come up as the weight increases, but can also be dangerous to your bicep when you pull with a mixed grip.  Try getting everything tight and take the slack out of the bar before you actually try to break the weight off the floor.  This video describes what I mean, ignore the fact that the advice is coming from a Canadian.
SO that's actually something I'm working on. My coach noticed it about a week ago and was like, "You need to stop that." I thought I did until I videoed and I was like, "Shoot." She was like, "Don't pump the bar," and then I pumped the bar. 

So the next step will be lifting with a much lighter weight to get my form in perfectly. 

I think you'll find that when you don't "pump the bar", you'll actually find yourself able to pull a new PR.  You'll end up in a better starting position and probably have better speed from the floor in the first part of the pull.  

If I can give one bit of constructive criticism, you did the classic "jerk the bar up" from the floor that I see from a lot of deadlifters.
This is a huge thing at my gym, that they don't want us jerking up from the ground.  They want our arms to be 'in tension' before we begin lifting...which results in my much hated 'lift the first two inches slow and be in correct form before going the rest of the way up'.  

This is a huge thing at my gym, that they don't want us jerking up from the ground.  They want our arms to be 'in tension' before we begin lifting...which results in my much hated 'lift the first two inches slow and be in correct form before going the rest of the way up'.  
As you get used to it, it becomes pretty fluid, and feels less like a "second step" so to speak.  It occurs naturally after you grip the bar and bring your shins to the bar. 

It's actually easier for us fatsos who take a big breath up top or in an extended position (barbell rolled out when using straps), because we actually have to pull ourselves down into position, which takes the slack out of the bar by default.  

Ed Coan has some really good how to deadlift FB videos regardless of weight/experience.  

We always get preached to only breathe at the top (tends to help keep the spine straight)?

We spent the whole class doing Snatches today, Its not a movement (for loading) I have done a lot of so it was good to practice, was able to walk out with a 90LB max - I lol but at the same time its just a techincal movement I need to practice) there was a young gal next to me did 85 lb so I admit I added a biscuit to each side just to get to 90 lB.  I was originally just going to stay at around 55 lbs the whole time but eventually added some once it felt better.

The owner of our new place got the next level up to teach at Seminar Staff so she has been teaching a few L2 classes at Crossfit Roots (which I guess is a big deal?) but she said today that Eric Roza (new owner of XF) told her he is going to drop by one morning. Which would be cool, hope its a rowing wod cause he looks short ;)  

As you get used to it, it becomes pretty fluid, and feels less like a "second step" so to speak.  It occurs naturally after you grip the bar and bring your shins to the bar. 

It's actually easier for us fatsos who take a big breath up top or in an extended position (barbell rolled out when using straps), because we actually have to pull ourselves down into position, which takes the slack out of the bar by default.  

Ed Coan has some really good how to deadlift FB videos regardless of weight/experience.  
It's becoming more fluid, it's just a little difficult for me because I know I have a longer torso than my legs, so I get kinda scrunched when I try to move the bar to my shins.  Look like a sweaty gremlin trying to keep my balance, since I feel like my hips get way tucked under and then I get frustrated/can't move.

I never remember when I breath.  For me, breathing in as I lift helps/feels more natural?  But I've been told to breathe before I lift to stack better?  Idk.  I'm just going to keep going until I get told to keep at the same weight and do the slow lift *howls in agony* I'll never do 'real' Oly, just the fitness Oly, and I'm okay with that!

You need to breathe before the lift to brace properly.  If you ever move onto lifting with a belt, it becomes very obvious why.  It only feels natural, because having a belly with no air in it makes the beginning of the lift more comfortable.  Rest assured, nothing about a good deadlift will ever feel comfortable or natural.  

Never done Chad. We usually do a Murph (or scaled, broken-up, or half) for Veterans and Memorial Day. But I haven't been back to the gym since COVID, so not sure what they are doing now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Murph pretty powerful, but I think this part of Chad really speaks to me:

Together with Sara Wilkinson, we bring you the hero workout "Chad", in honor of Navy SEAL Chad Wilkinson who took his life on October 29, 2018 due to the effects of numerous deployments, several TBIs, blast wave injuries and PTSD. Our goal is to honor Chad's life and legacy and by raising awareness for suicide prevention.

I read more about Chad after CSB’s link but damn. These humans are obviously carrying around too much.. Guy had an incredible family :(  This was made before he killed himself :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back