Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20. something...  it was the one wear it was 80 cals on the rower, 120  20# wall balls and then muscle ups, I scored 0 on the muscle ups but it still counted as RX ;)

So this morning was 50 manmakers. Because we use Chris Spealler for our programming that means a manmaker is the following:

Renegade row (rowing in the plank position, each arm once)

Push up

Jump up

Clean

Thruster (or squat then push press)

That's ONE. Right around 25 or so I started alternating bodyweight with my dumbbells reps. Good gosh. 
one of the community fitness gyms here follows Spealler programming too and this is what they are doing today. when you posted your WOD this looks familiar... I saw this on their IG account.

and yes Manmakers are pretty F'n misreable!!!! I thnik the last time we did them i started with 35's and put those back real quicklike...

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the community fitness gyms here follows Spealler programming too and this is what they are doing today. when you posted your WOD this looks familiar... I saw this on their IG account.
Spealler's pretty good about posting the workout on IG everyday. It doesn't include the warm-up or post-work, but it's got the main show. I think it's pretty decent of him to do that. 

I enjoy participating in the open but I dont watch the actual games.

Last year (or this year) I did one of the workouts RX, which was cool (for a middle age guy) the 120 wall ball one..cant recall the Number..

Sure you can't recall the number...

20. something...  it was the one wear it was 80 cals on the rower, 120  20# wall balls and then muscle ups, I scored 0 on the muscle ups but it still counted as RX ;)
Pretty sure it's this one. How'd you do?

https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/open/2020/5

yes and the key phrase was: For time, partitioned any way!

my score was 200, since i did 0 muscle ups

the guy that went before me had a good strategy, 20 wall balls, 10 calories on the rower for 8 rounds and then just nurse out the rest of the wall balls - later i watched someone try and do all the wall balls first and they did not look like there were having a good time..

I guess the open is going to be moved to later in the year? spring?

This morning was 2-2-2-2-2 push press. My push jerk in July was 85-lb and my push press was 85 (for five rounds of three), but today I hit 90-lb! I think that I have more in me, but that felt pretty decent. I was starting to drift into push jerk range, so it was best to stop. 

We followed that with a 20-minute EMOM-First minute 20/17 cal row, second minute 6-10 HSPU. I went with a 12-cal row and 6 seated DB strict press. The 12-cal row was because that's all I could get to in a minute. DB press is because I don't have pike push ups- they feel like I'm gonna drop me on my face. 

I thought you did snatches this am? (instagram stalking)
 I got to be the poster child for the posting of today's workout. Snatches were Monday. We did an AMRAP with 9 snatches, 6 single leg crossbody T2B (I looked like a hideous Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader who was clutching to life on the edge of a cliff and decided that my final thing to do before I died was the kick line) and then 30 DU/90 SU. 

the only real advice that helped me was to 1) jump like a pogo stick and 2) that your feet move slow but your hands move fast - especially for someone like me who cant dance that part was hard to overcome!

I just did 50 a day for a month and then they showed up suddenly around day 25/26 - they also sometimes decide to go away mid workout...

I used a regular weighted rope until I could string togehter around 7-10 before switching over to the lighter style rope - the wife has committed to starting this on November 1 (the 50 a day thing)

they are stil frustrating as hell..

We did an AMRAP 
Hey, I did an AMRAP workout today! I set the time to 30 min, and did the following circuit with 1 min. rest in between circuits: 30 sec elbow plank, 10 sets of right hip dips, 10 sets of left hip dips, 10 spiderman jumps/each side, 10 hands to forearms planks, and forearm plank to max (I typically ramped up from 1:15 to 2 min).

But it was at home? It was a pretty good workout, but whatever I did yesterday tired me out more.

Hey, I did an AMRAP workout today! I set the time to 30 min, and did the following circuit with 1 min. rest in between circuits: 30 sec elbow plank, 10 sets of right hip dips, 10 sets of left hip dips, 10 spiderman jumps/each side, 10 hands to forearms planks, and forearm plank to max (I typically ramped up from 1:15 to 2 min).

But it was at home? It was a pretty good workout, but whatever I did yesterday tired me out more.
Your planking has always impressed me. I need to try doing that more. 

the only real advice that helped me was to 1) jump like a pogo stick and 2) that your feet move slow but your hands move fast - especially for someone like me who cant dance that part was hard to overcome!

I just did 50 a day for a month and then they showed up suddenly around day 25/26 - they also sometimes decide to go away mid workout...

I used a regular weighted rope until I could string togehter around 7-10 before switching over to the lighter style rope - the wife has committed to starting this on November 1 (the 50 a day thing)

they are stil frustrating as hell..

I basically taught myself DUs.  Just kept trying until I was able to do them. But the big "ah ha" moment for me was when I realized that I had to adjust my timing.

With single unders the rope would pass under my feet when I was at the peak of my jump. When I would try to do DUs (before I learned how) the rope still pass under my feet at the peak of my jump and then I wouldn't be able to get it around again before I landed.
I realized that the rope should pass under my feet earlier, while I'm still on the way up, then I could get it around again and pass under while on the way down.

Obviously that's a lot to think about, and I don't have to anymore because the timing feels natural. But when I was first starting out I would concentrate on that and it allowed me to start to string together 2 and 3 DUs.

But again, I'm self-taught, so there may be way better approaches than that.

I think what you are describing is similar to what I think of with the pogo stick - you defin have to jump higher than a regular jump - when I was working on them I would video my attempts on slow motion, and you could defin see when you didnt jump high enough the rope would always hit the back of the shoe..

Id also like to know who came up with this dumb movement?

There are definitely parts in a timed workout where I go ahead and switch to lateral hops because I can't jump rope. 

I have a lot happening when I jump- I don't need additional obstacles! 

Back