NCEES Record - system upgrade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this email from NCEES:

NCEES is committed to providing quality products and services to facilitate mobility for professional engineers, surveyors, and our 70 member boards. We fell short of this commitment with the recent upgrades to our Records program. Longtime Record holders like you are among our most valued customers and I regret that we failed to anticipate and meet your expectations.

In order to meet the current needs of our member boards, the information contained within an NCEES Record must be updated to an electronic format. We recognize the frustration this has caused and are working hard to improve the process.

On October 12, we will launch a software update that will allow NCEES to transfer most of your existing information into the new system. You will no longer be required to re-submit and re-verify most of the documentation that was submitted as part of your original application. This will significantly reduce the amount of time and effort required to re-establish your Record in the new system.

Our records indicate you are currently in the process of re-establishing your information in the new system. If you would like to take advantage of the improved process, please send an email request to [email protected]. Include your name, 7-digit account ID number, and the state to which you need to transmit your Record. Any information you have already updated will be retained and become a part of your re-established Record. Please let us know if you are currently seeking comity licensure and have an immediate need to transmit your Record.

Whether you choose to take advantage of the improved process or choose to continue manually updating your information, we have waived the fee for your first transmittal in the new system. Again, I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations. We take great pride in offering quality services and we are committed to providing the best level of customer service we can to our customers.

Sincerely,

Jerry Carter
NCEES Chief Executive Officer

I suppose that they understand that they dropped the ball.

Just saw this letter from a similar post on eng-tips. Some very interesting thing; first the fact that it took this long for them to even acknowledged that something was ever wrong. Second, interesting that it's the CEO writing that email; at least they're taking it seriously now.

Third, at least they appear to be doing the right things. Not an apology or small token, but actually attempting to solve the problem. That's definitely a step in the right direction but waiting months to even start attempting to fix it, with many of us already having gone through the trouble of updating, is not quality customer service. It's late average customer service. Put me solidly in the camp of "this helps but the damage is done".

Finally.

Whether you choose to take advantage of the improved process or choose to continue manually updating your information, we have waived the fee for your first transmittal in the new system.
Thanks for sharing; hopefully they don't mind you sharing the email but I'm VERY tempted to email them asking "since you're handing out refunds, please refund the transmittal fee I had to spend to get the new records setup".

I just started TODAY to try and do all this stuff. What a mess they created for everyone involved.

Wish I would have seen this before I started though, may have waited a day to log in.

Oh well, when it's all said and done I will have the privilege (read: headache) of being licensed in 11 states.

Wow, thanks for sharing that @kevo_55! I can honestly say I was not expecting that kind of response from NCEES. Finally some acknowledgement to an under-performing upgrade process for existing record holders!

I must admit, I still have half of my junk filled out and I am very interested in them just completing it for me.

On the other hand, this whole process gave me a bad taste in my mouth and a part of me just wants to just say fuck them and just not use the service.

I must admit, I still have half of my junk filled out and I am very interested in them just completing it for me.

On the other hand, this whole process gave me a bad taste in my mouth and a part of me just wants to just say fuck them and just not use the service.
Except for those states that require an NCEES record...

This was the route I was planning to go once they tried to hit me up for renewal. Or whatever they planned to do since there was no longer an annual fee.

Meh...

I'm already registered in the entire western zone.

This was the route I was planning to go once they tried to hit me up for renewal. Or whatever they planned to do since there was no longer an annual fee.
Even with this effort by NCEES, I fully support your mentality. If I didn't actually need an NCEES account (my references are VERY hard to get to respond in a timely manner) I would have done the same. It's almost insulting that NCEES still lists this on their website:

Records FAQs

How will and NCEES Record benefit me?

An NCEES Record eliminates the hassle of resubmitting your academic transcripts, exam results, employment history and verifications, and professional references each time you apply for comity licensure. It saves time and simplifies the application process when you need to practice in multiple states.
Knowing they care this little about their customers I'm totally supportive of anyone who can avoid them for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCEES is committed to providing quality products and services to facilitate mobility for professional engineers, surveyors, and our 70 member boards. We fell short of this commitment with the recent upgrades to our Records program. Longtime Record holders like you are among our most valued customers and I regret that we failed to anticipate and meet your expectations.

In order to meet the current needs of our member boards, the information contained within an NCEES Record must be updated to an electronic format. We recognize the frustration this has caused and are working hard to improve the process.

On October 12, we will launch a software update that will allow NCEES to transfer most of your existing information into the new system. You will no longer be required to re-submit and re-verify most of the documentation that was submitted as part of your original application. This will significantly reduce the amount of time and effort required to re-establish your Record in the new system.

Our records indicate you are currently in the process of re-establishing your information in the new system. If you would like to take advantage of the improved process, please send an email request to [email protected]. Include your name, 7-digit account ID number, and the state to which you need to transmit your Record. Any information you have already updated will be retained and become a part of your re-established Record. Please let us know if you are currently seeking comity licensure and have an immediate need to transmit your Record.

Whether you choose to take advantage of the improved process or choose to continue manually updating your information, we have waived the fee for your first transmittal in the new system. Again, I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations. We take great pride in offering quality services and we are committed to providing the best level of customer service we can to our customers.

Sincerely,

Jerry Carter
NCEES Chief Executive Officer

Got that email and already emailed them asking them to upgrade my account using their magic software. 

So, I get an email letting me know that my records are updated and complete. I go to the system to transmit it to a new state and wham-o, I need my employment verified because the system did not import "current employer" into the new program.

So I now have to wait for NCEES to review my record and send an email to my boss to verify that I still work.

I believe that they would have had to purposefully go out of their way to make this more complicated than they did. It should not have to be this complicated. I just went through all of this in December to get a record number in the first place.

So, I get an email letting me know that my records are updated and complete. I go to the system to transmit it to a new state and wham-o, I need my employment verified because the system did not import "current employer" into the new program.

So I now have to wait for NCEES to review my record and send an email to my boss to verify that I still work.

I believe that they would have had to purposefully go out of their way to make this more complicated than they did. It should not have to be this complicated. I just went through all of this in December to get a record number in the first place.
I had the same experience Ken. After I was done and everything was supposedly ready to go and I click transmit suddenly things need to be submitted and verified. Absolutely ridiculous, the whole point of this service is it's fast and you don't have to constantly be resubmitting records. Clearly whoever setup the new system has no clue what we actually use the system for.

1 minute ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: So, I get an email letting me know that my records are updated and complete. I go to the system to transmit it to a new state and wham-o, I need my employment verified because the system did not import "current employer" into the new program. So I now have to wait for NCEES to review my record and send an email to my boss to verify that I still work.

I had the same experience Ken. After I was done and everything was supposedly ready to go and I click transmit suddenly things need to be submitted and verified. Absolutely ridiculous, the whole point of this service is it's fast and you don't have to constantly be resubmitting records. Clearly whoever setup the new system has no clue what we actually use the system for.
It should have been so much better. #failed

How long does it take to verify work that was previously verified and accepted? :brickwall:

Back