NCEES News Update

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there could be some overlap in the steps, (start scanning before they have all arrived)  could potentially shorten things up, but this is a good picture.

So I agree with vhab49 - some overlapping to shorten the wait time is possible.

Like I started and finished, this was never meant to be more than a sanity check for scoping

So let's take a quick look at those things, using round numbers.

You can argue with my assumptions for durations, but the turnaround time of slightly over a month passes the sniff test.
As with any engineering project, the devil is in the details. There are some unknown unknowns on our end that prevents us on this board from knowing true durations of even the planned activities.

Plus we all know that and Murphy works on every project. If you haven't learned this lesson yet, you have no business taking the PPE. ;) I truly suspect that the "long pole" is the having to schedule impromptu exam review meetings. I gave that 5 days in my estimate but in the past it has delayed the release by several weeks.

I truly suspect that the "long pole" is the having to schedule impromptu exam review meetings. I gave that 5 days in my estimate but in the past it has delayed the release by several weeks.
What I don't get is how that can be impromptu.  Schedule it, and if it ends up NOT being needed, cancel it.  :)

You can argue with my assumptions for durations
I don't argue with your assumptions. Actually I think your post is a pretty awesome and detailed analysis (and if accurate, what? Results on Monday or Tuesday!!)

I just argue that it could be shortened  by overlapping steps (whenever possible) that's all.

But yay! to your analysis  :thumbs:

What I don't get is how that can be impromptu.  Schedule it, and if it ends up NOT being needed, cancel it.  :)
Because it's not needed for every cycle and I imagine that there are other higher priority meetings that may take the place of the ones from a previous cycle. It's certainly not an exact science where they can "rinse & repeat" for each cycle. I'm sure if they could have it that way, they would. And eventually it will be closer to that model once the PE exam goes CBT.

Actually I think your post is a pretty awesome and detailed analysis (and if accurate, what? Results on Monday or Tuesday!!)
Thanks.

In another thread I touched on when we may be able to start making predictions. Copied in below

The thing that always delays the release of the results is when a new exam is administered in a given test period.  The exam writers then have to a have a meeting to discuss the exam results and adjudicate any problematic exam questions. There are a lot of PPE exams so there is always a new exam being given in a given period. By definition, these exam review meetings occur after the initial scoring has taken place. The meetings for the more specialized disciplines (Nuke, Ag, Petro, Naval, etc) usually aren't actually produced by NCESS and tend have their meeting scheduled even later in the cycle. This is probably to accommodate the schedules of the disparate members who just learned that they suddenly have to fly in from all over the country to go over the results. The larger tests, which are produced by NCEES, proactively schedule their meeting well ahead of time and typically don't delay everyone else. The results are released 2-3 business days after that meeting(s) ends.

We'll learn when [The last exam meeting] is scheduled in the December 2017 newsletter, which itself could get posted as early as Friday Dec 1 on their website here. So check back in a few days to see when they are having their meeting, then add a few business days to predict the release date.

Other corrections: nuclear delayed Oct 2012, Structural? was Oct 2013, petro was Oct 2014, mining was Oct 2015, mining (again) was Oct 2016

I'm too lazy to look up April.
The December newsletter could be uploaded sometime today, or it could be Monday or Tuesday. Look for specific exam meetings in early-mid December that aren't routine. When those are over, add 2-3 days to find when the results will be released.

If there aren't any meetings, my guess is a Dec 6-8 released.

I'll post a new non-fake NCESS News thread when I learn something.

Because it's not needed for every cycle and I imagine that there are other higher priority meetings that may take the place of the ones from a previous cycle. It's certainly not an exact science where they can "rinse & repeat" for each cycle. I'm sure if they could have it that way, they would. And eventually it will be closer to that model once the PE exam goes CBT.
The larger tests, which are also maintained by NCEES pre-plan their meetings early in the exam scoring cycle. The smaller exams, which tend to not be administered by NCEES tend to scheduled later, or ad hoc, in the exam scoring session. I believe the people that do those tests get paid or reimbursed somehow. The smaller tests are usually run by professional societies and their unpaid volunteers. It can be a lot to ask someone to pre-plan taking off from work, buying plane tickets, etc, for something that isn't needed yet.

Additionally the larger tests have the luxury of having hundreds to thousands of test takers, so most of the kinks have been worked out already. Not too many weird surprises. The whole process is more streamlined due the routine nature of the test and the questions.

This is also why CBT is working well for the larger tests. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Nuclear trailblazes CBT for the smaller tests next October. Who knows what CBT will even do for the release of exam results at large, or even the future of these forums which see most of the traffic around this time? can anyone comment on how long it takes to get the results from the current CBT exams?

I just heard from the random guy on the street corner that results are delayed because the CEO's brother's sister-in-law's roommate hijacked a bus with the results in it and crashed it into a lake.

Who knows what CBT will even do for the release of exam results at large, or even the future of these forums which see most of the traffic around this time? can anyone comment on how long it takes to get the results from the current CBT exams?
CBT FE results are typically turned around pretty quick. Based on what I've read in the EIT sub-forum.

DECEMBER 7TH!!!!!!! It's less than one week away now folks. Get ready! Hype hype hype!

So, what happens come Monday when registration opens for the next exam? You can't take the same exam twice (if you pass obviously), can you?? Will it be a dead giveaway for everyone involved.....WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN?!!! is the world going to implode in on itself?? Am I?

So, what happens come Monday when registration opens for the next exam? You can't take the same exam twice (if you pass obviously), can you?? Will it be a dead giveaway for everyone involved.....WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN?!!! is the world going to implode in on itself?? Am I?
Lol calm down! I think we can still register like the PE chemical which is now open! But who knows?! Let’s find out Monday which is not the end of world :)

I took the FE in days of yore, i.e. 2007 and had to wait to receive the results by mail.
I took it in 2006.  The first time, I got a score (68...real bummer).  The second time I took it was the time when they stopped giving you a score and only pass/fail results.  I think I was able to check our secretary of state's website to see if I'd been issued an EIT license before I actually got the letter in the mail.

I don't remember being this anxious about the results back then.  Man, I'm old.  Taking the PE 13 years after graduating from college really sucks.

Yes, you can take the same exact twice, even after you pass it. Sometimes, when applying to another state, they may require you to retake the test.

The ability to register to take a test and the results of a previous test are not releated. It will not be a "tell" on Monday.

Registration is open for more than one day - you don't have to register on Monday (if you need to, which I hope none of us do).

The world is definitely going to implode.  EVERYBODY PANIC!!  :p

I took it in 2006.  The first time, I got a score (68...real bummer).  The second time I took it was the time when they stopped giving you a score and only pass/fail results.  I think I was able to check our secretary of state's website to see if I'd been issued an EIT license before I actually got the letter in the mail.

I don't remember being this anxious about the results back then.  Man, I'm old.  Taking the PE 13 years after graduating from college really sucks.
Same same same....2006 (twice), PE 2015, 2016 & 2017 (extra special I am)

We're not old, if we were old, we'd be wiser and that's clearly not accurate in my case. 

Yes, you can take the same exact twice, even after you pass it. Sometimes, when applying to another state, they may require you to retake the test.

The ability to register to take a test and the results of a previous test are not releated. It will not be a "tell" on Monday.
You are just a fountain of knowledge - must be why PPI keeps hitting you up for different disciplines! Thank you for clarifying it for me...I was convinced we might somehow manage to get one up on NCEES.

Back