I almost solved the NCEES Pencil Color Equation! ..... but not quite

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, I think my half-baked color prediction theory is 100% out the window now!  Purple?!  😮

I need to work on a new prediction theory it seems.....

But that's the beauty of science (vs. religion), right?  When new data comes along that is counter to what you previously thought, you toss out the old belief and use the new data to work on a new theory.  :)   
The funny thing about the science v. religion debate in this context is that we definitely know that there's a single entity, more powerful than any of us, that has complete knowledge of and power over the pencil color selection... I can't necessarily say that they're benevolent, though. 😂

My pencil theory. A color is chosen arbitrarily; it must be different from the last 2 colors.

My pencil theory. A color is chosen arbitrarily; it must be different from the last 2 colors.
I'm inclined to agree. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they just have the office manager select it out of a mass-office supply catalogue with the above restriction.

Alternate theory: maybe that same office supply manager emails @tj_PE six weeks out and asks "so uhh... what color are you painting your nails next month"?.

I thought that colors also varied by exam site. I vaguely remember during Oct 2018 exam, some people reported using a color other than green (can remember), while I had green. 

I thought that colors also varied by exam site. I vaguely remember during Oct 2018 exam, some people reported using a color other than green (can remember), while I had green. 
Mine was blue 

If you post that you're looking for one, someone with extra might give, sell, trade with you. Happens all the time on these boards.

The funny thing about the science v. religion debate in this context is that we definitely know that there's a single entity, more powerful than any of us, that has complete knowledge of and power over the pencil color selection... I can't necessarily say that they're benevolent, though. 😂
Very true Will!  Well said.  

tj is The Woman!  Nice grab!  Are any of these for sale by chance?  Happy to barter too, I have a bunch of old style NCEES pencils.  :)   
Check your PMs recently? I was about to leave the exam site last Friday, when I saw the pristine, unused spare pencils that they kept at the front and thought, "I should totally grab one of those for @ptatohed. He probably has connections, but I'll grab it, just in case." It's sitting in my house with your name on it... At least for the time being.  :thumbs:

Check your PMs recently? I was about to leave the exam site last Friday, when I saw the pristine, unused spare pencils that they kept at the front and thought, "I should totally grab one of those for @ptatohed. He probably has connections, but I'll grab it, just in case." It's sitting in my house with your name on it... At least for the time being.  :thumbs:
Just responded.  Dude, thanks so much Will!  So much appreciated!  :D   

Back