Got Ink?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fess up, are you sporting some skin art?

• yup

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • nope

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • rather not say

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
also can't seem to find your leg? :dunno:  
tumblr_nlmlir7Lhk1u0k6deo4_250.gif

@Audi driver, P.E. But this is okay?  Technically not a bumper sticker?

458-golden-shark-h.jpg

And my tattoos are more like decorating the walls of a church: why shouldn't I add some stained glass?
Where would you get the idea I thought that was ok? Also... wasn't Christ born in a stable, died with everyone mocking him and even buried in a borrowed tomb?  Pretty sure decorating a church is antithetical to his entire life.

Where would you get the idea I thought that was ok? Also... wasn't Christ born in a stable, died with everyone mocking him and even buried in a borrowed tomb?  Pretty sure decorating a church is antithetical to his entire life.
Tell that to the Vatican.  About the whole 'don't decorate churches/decorate your body in any manner, it goes against Jesus'.  I'll watch.

I've seen a lot of very well done tattoos. And I've seen plenty of bad ones.  Same with modified cars. Some done really well and others, well, not so much.

And there are some that I don't like, but not because they are necessarily bad, but just not my style.

I've seen a lot of very well done tattoos. And I've seen plenty of bad ones.  Same with modified cars. Some done really well and others, well, not so much.

And there are some that I don't like, but not because they are necessarily bad, but just not my style.
Truth.  There are a lot of tattoos that I would never want, but I think look aesthetically pleasing.  There are also a ton of tattoos that I wonder what the person was drinking to allow that rabid bear with ink under its claws to go to town on their back, but, again, not my place and I stay in my lane.

Personally, I don't like realistic tattoos.  I like stuff with big blocks of color/good placement so even when I do get old and saggy (a process I am sure is coming sooner rather than later) they'll still bring back fond memories.

In my experience (and as someone with some ink), tattoos are like all preferences...

People that like them can't really communicate why they like them, and people that don't like them will never understand anyway.  Neither side is correct, taste is personal and subjective.  That said, if you're going to compare yourself to a ferrari with a bumper sticker all I can say is congrats for having one hell of a self esteem.  Then again, the Rock seems to be cool with his bumper stickers...

sorry but I don't understand the tattoo culture.  Just like someone is going to get tired of the Hello Kitty Ferrari and get rid of it, i suspect there comes a time when most people would prefer to not have the tattoo......but it's permanent.  They can be "removed" for additional expense and pain (not even considering the initial expense and pain).

It's my understanding that there are some high quality means for temporary  body art to satisfy the the impulsive urge to color one's body.  Seems like a better alternative.  Lastly, tattoos do nothing for me as far as attraction is considered.  I often wonder what makes a pretty girl decide to put tattoos on herself.

However, to each his/her own.  If it makes you happy have at it, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, personally, started getting tattoos because there were parts of my body that I hated that wouldn't ever be fixed with exercise/dieting/therapy/whatever.  The tattoos were a good way of covering what I didn't like, but also giving me control of what I was covering them with.  I do have my tattoos in areas that I can cover up with normal clothes and nobody would be any the wiser (though it looks really odd for me when I see pictures), and that was my choice too when I first started getting them when I was 25.  I totally understand the whole "I could never get a tattoo/I don't understand" and that it is permanent, but there are a couple other things in life that are permanent that people do that I don't understand. 

One of the main permanent things that people seem to do a lot that I don't understand is kids.  I don't begrudge people that, and I understand that it satisfies that impulsive urge to 'have babies', but personally it isn't my cup of tea.

And it's a good thing that a majority of people who get tattoos aren't doing it to be attractive to others.  They're doing it for themselves.  Because it makes them happy.  And isn't that a good thing to be? 

I, personally, started getting tattoos because there were parts of my body that I hated that wouldn't ever be fixed with exercise/dieting/therapy/whatever.  The tattoos were a good way of covering what I didn't like, but also giving me control of what I was covering them with.  I do have my tattoos in areas that I can cover up with normal clothes and nobody would be any the wiser (though it looks really odd for me when I see pictures), and that was my choice too when I first started getting them when I was 25.  I totally understand the whole "I could never get a tattoo/I don't understand" and that it is permanent, but there are a couple other things in life that are permanent that people do that I don't understand. 

One of the main permanent things that people seem to do a lot that I don't understand is kids.  I don't begrudge people that, and I understand that it satisfies that impulsive urge to 'have babies', but personally it isn't my cup of tea.

And it's a good thing that a majority of people who get tattoos aren't doing it to be attractive to others.  They're doing it for themselves.  Because it makes them happy.  And isn't that a good thing to be? 
Like I said if it makes you happy that is a good thing to be.  I think your analogy to kids is misplaced.  Kids aren't permanent in the sense that they are not kids forever.  They grow and change with time and (god willing) become useful members of society that start their own family and bring lots of love and happiness to their parents, themselves and others along the way.

A 21 year old tattoo can't go to a bar with you and buy you a beer. :)

Like I said if it makes you happy that is a good thing to be.  I think your analogy to kids is misplaced.  Kids aren't permanent in the sense that they are not kids forever.  They grow and change with time and (god willing) become useful members of society that start their own family and bring lots of love and happiness to their parents, themselves and others along the way.

A 21 year old tattoo can't go to a bar with you and buy you a beer. :)
Not arguing about the kids turning into adults (though there is always the slight chance of them not, and you needing to support them for the entirety of their lives), but on the subject of tattoos not being able to buy you a beer...my tattoos have gotten me a ton of free drinks without even trying. 🤣

@Master slacker What ship sailed?  Being in the Olympics or having fucking ripped shoulders?

In my experience (and as someone with some ink), tattoos are like all preferences...

People that like them can't really communicate why they like them, and people that don't like them will never understand anyway.  Neither side is correct, taste is personal and subjective.  That said, if you're going to compare yourself to a ferrari with a bumper sticker all I can say is congrats for having one hell of a self esteem.  Then again, the Rock seems to be cool with his bumper stickers...
My self esteem and ego are legendary in certain circles. I keep them both on a chain in the back yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Master slacker What ship sailed?  Being in the Olympics or having fucking ripped shoulders?
Yes and not quite.  Technically, I qualified for Olympic Trials, but injured myself before I could compete at the meet.  There's no way I would've made the team, though.  My shoulders aren't ripped anymore, but if I worked out a little, they'd be back in short order - i.e. I'm not too far gone.

Back