Fingerprinting for PE License Renewal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, honestly, I don't have a problem with them doing background checks. But these state agencies should work together, instead of each one setting up their own system. If you have a license through which you've already done a background check - I believe teachers, realtors, concealed handgun, etc. need to do this - then I shouldn't be required to submit my fingerprints again. My prints haven't changed (though that soldering iron burn I got on Saturday sure put a welt on the tip of my left middle finger ;) ).

My understanding of the Texas rule, which I fall under is that ALL other professional licensees in Texas are required to have fingerprints provided before they are issued a professional license in the State of Texas. Engineers for some reason were exempt from this requirement until this legislative session. The legislator who is a Professional Engineer who sponsored the legislation seemed to think, (as I understand it) that if everyone else who is professionally state licensed were not exempt from this rule, then Professional Engineers should not be either. He then had legislation drafted to make the fingerprint requirement apply to all PE in the 2014 license renewal period.

What is most frustrating is that if they know that the requirement is coming, why not get on with it? If you have a set of fingerprints on file for some other reason, then why are those prints not satisfactory for this purpose? Sadly, there is thinking that was failed to be accomplished here and the rest of us who can think are stuck-- just like Dilbert is with the Pointy Haired Boss.

This is Dilbert, all the way!!

Thanks for posting. I just read through the sunset report and the fingerprinting justification (http://www.sunset.state.tx.us/83rd/eng/eng_sr.pdf). They claim the benefit is more accurate identification of criminals using PE licenses compared to their current method of running background checks via name and other identifying information. They dont appear to state that they have found any problems with the current system, only that it is not as good as fingerprinting. I'll do it because I have to but those of you who live in Texas should share their thoughts with the senator who sponsored this bill. It does not really protect the public any better. It's just more paperwork.

As an extra benefit though I also just read that this same senator is against passing the "no texting" while driving bill (at least this year). I dont know what's in it because I dont live in Texas anymore but texting while driving in Texas is obviously less dangerous than allowing engineers in Texas to renew their licenses without taking their fingerprints (or so it would seem).

Perhaps I am missing something but I can only think of two possible uses for fingerprints. 1.) There is an existing unsolved crime in which the police have crime scene fingerprints but no suspect(s) or 2.) A future crime is committed in which the police obtain crime scene fingerprints. Right?

I received my renewal notice via email earlier this week. It didn't say anything about fingerprinting, so I am thinking that this won't be in effect until after 2014...

When I looked this up a few weeks ago the board site said they were starting the fingerprint program with the March 2014 renewals. Looks like you lucked out this year.

Nobody can provide a good reason for requiring engineers to be fingerprinted or in many cases re-fingerprinted. It's not like banks are being held up by gangs of felon engineers roaming the streets. I just don't see a real need or public outcry for these measures.

Many engineers already undergo background checks, drug tests, etc. They may also have TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential ) and GOES (Global Entry), which require electronic fingerprinting and are already entered into various state and federal government databases.

All of these requirements are burdensome for business. Rather than requesting everyone get re-fingerprinted by MorphoTrust to the tune of $2.5 million, it seems TBPE should be working more closely with existing state agencies to reduce government bureaucracy and waste.

The new law states fingerprints should be submitted to TBPE "or" DPS and FBI. Someone that has Texas CHL would already have fingerprints on file at DPS and FBI. They would also not have any criminal history. But this does not seem to satisfy TBPE.

===========================

This was the response from David Howell, P.E.
Director of Licensing, Texas Board of Professional Engineers

Unfortunately, the statute and the DPS system don’t give us any options for using an existing criminal records check for TBPE purposes.

512-440-3054 | http://engineers.texas.gov

1917 S. Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78741-3702

===========================

Engineers concerned about this new law and TBPE creating a seemingly redundant database should contact the sponsors listed below. It's hard to believe these gentlemen are Republicans that claim to be conservatives fighting for limited government.

Texas Senator Nichols

http://www.nichols.senate.state.tx.us/

Texas Rep Four Price

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/member-page/?district=87

www.fourprice.org/‎

and Governor Perry that signed it

http://www.governor.state.tx.us/

Is this a foregone conclusion, or is there a chance the legislature will repeal it?

Does NSPE have a position on this?

I may need to apply for a Texas license in the next year for a possible upcoming project.

National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) is aware of the passage of SB204 in Texas, but does not currently have a formal position on criminal background checks for engineers. Our Legislative and Government Affairs Committee will carefully consider this issue at their next meeting in a few weeks. The only other state that appears to be considering criminal background checks is California.

Sounds like a long backstory on the link above. I have to renew mine next year. I hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

As a side note, I spoke to an attorney friend. He said that if lawyers were made to do criminal checks, there would a lot fewer of them.

I sent this to Sen. Robert Nichols website (and his co-sponsors website), many weeks ago. I wrote:

""I fully agree with House Research Organization bill analysis (SB204) which says:

"Requiring renewal applicants to submit fingerprints would make this streamlined renewal process more difficult for both the board and for the license holders, some of whom have held licenses for decades and have not committed a crime. Submitting fingerprints would be intrusive and unnecessary because the current method of performing background checks works well."

I have been a PE for many years and will not be renewing my license.

I have no objection to a background check, but will not be submitting my fingerprints. "

http://www.hro.house.state.tx.us/pdf/ba83R/SB0204.PDF

Didn't hear anything back from them. I guess your representatives only respond when they agree with you.

It seems they consider all 50,000+ engineers guilty until proven innocent. Most people would probably draw the line at DNA testing, when is comes to freedom intrusion. The line for me just happens to be fingerprints.

Well, I started the fingerprinting process today. I got to enjoy sitting on the phone for 35 minutes to find out that the they know their online form has an error in it but they have not had time to correct it yet (or to add a note to tell users what to do). The instructions the board mails you to resolve this problem are incorrect too, which of coarse means the Texas board is aware of the issue and has not made sure it was fixed either. The work around is quick so I will share it with you below to save you the phone call.

After you register for your fast pass (it's nothing like the disneyland fast pass) on website #1 - step 1 (https://engineers.texas.gov/recordcheck.html), you then have to go to a different website in step #2 and enter some information from website number 1. Once you enter that information then you get a form where you have to enter your address, height, weight, drivers license number, ...

The problem is the form wont let you continue if your drivers license number has more than 8 digits (or so it says). The board provides instructions that if you have more than 8 digits then just enter the last 8. It turns out the drivers license entry must have exactly 8 digits, and you cant enter any alphanumeric letters, and all zeros did not work for me. So if your license has any alphanumeric letters in it then it will not work. Per the phone operator, just enter the number 9 eight times and select "other" for the drivers license "class". It worked.

The person on the phone did tell me that they get this question all the time. Somehow that did not make my sitting on the phone for 35 minutes to find that out feel like less time.

Hope this saves you time if you run into the problem. Now that I started the process they are probably already feeling safer in Texas.

Back