Fingerprinting for PE License Renewal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy

Has never sniffed a stink bug
Reaction score
Just curious if any other states require this. Texas starts next year. All PE's must get fingerprints taken for license renewal. Yes, all 50k of us. This is part of Senate Bill 204, which was passed in the most recent legislative session. Cost will be around $42 to have the fingerprints done at a DPS-approved facility, unless you're from out of state, and then you get to jump through extra hoops.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/analysis/html/SB00204I.htm

Thanks for posting this...I hadn't seen it, yet. I don't like it. I guess I should actually read the TBPE newsletter.

CA will most likely do this for new applicants.

I'm not so sure for existing license holders though.

It actually doesn't say anything about it yet on the TBPE...I mean, seriously, how are they going to notify everyone, and get this done for 57,970 licensed engineers. Most engineers' renewals are due either 9/30/13 or 3/31/14. That's not much time, and NO notice. And that doesn't even account for how over reaching this is.

Stupid politicians.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that this is a one-time-only deal; it's not yearly fingerprints, it's just once - for the 2014 renewal (and all new PE's thereafter). This is for background checks.

However, here it is nearly August, and they don't have a plan to present yet. You will need to take the "special code" for the TBPE submittal with you to Morphotrust (the vendor of choice) so that your prints get sent to the right agency - prints done for other licenses (such as CHL) do not count and are not usable. The "special code" does not exist yet.

Are they gonna check plans for your seal, sig, date, AND fingerprints, now?

Sounds like someone got a kickback from the fingerprinting vendor on this deal. I can think of no logical reason for it.

probably so they can start making more $ via discipline. If you were a little shady in your personal life it could cost you in your professional life.

finger prints could mean they have been arrested or have a police file. depending what they did whether they were charged or not could be considered a moral indiscretion and fined and disciplinced accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will they accept other forms of ID that required fingerprinting as adequate background information, or do they want the prints themselves? I mean those that have TWIC cards or Concealed Carry Licenses have undergone the fingerprinting process already and they obviously don't have any background issues.

I did warn my boss about this change as he has the Texas license and it'll be up for renewal soon enough. Will be interested to know how this is going to work for out of state licenses.

I know Arizona medical license statute has moral behavior clause in it.

Sure, most states do.

But my point is, prints are useless for checking on the criminal status of a person. And I KNOW they don't run background checks on licensee renewals (or new licenses). They rely on someone telling on someone else.

Will they accept other forms of ID that required fingerprinting as adequate background information, or do they want the prints themselves? I mean those that have TWIC cards or Concealed Carry Licenses have undergone the fingerprinting process already and they obviously don't have any background issues.

I did warn my boss about this change as he has the Texas license and it'll be up for renewal soon enough. Will be interested to know how this is going to work for out of state licenses.

No, they will not accept other prints or licenses (such as Texas Concealed Handgun License) - we asked this specifically. This will be yet another trip to the fingerprint scanner.

The first period affected will be those whose renewals expire 3/31/14. No fingerprints = no renewal, as I understand it.

^^^ CG, is that date what you heard directly from the board? Also, who will run and pay for the background check, the state?

Also, Texas already requires a thumbprint to get a driver's license or a DL renewal.

No I did not hear that specific date from the board (David Howell was who spoke to us - TBPE Director of Licensing). He was just saying "2014 renewal". I am assuming that it begins at the start of 2014, and I am assuming that since that's the first renewal date, it would be the first batch. I could be wrong though. Just getting my disclaimer out there. ;)

Back