EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far we have:

IN: @txjennah PE , @BlueBlueprint_PE , @SaltySteve PE , @RBHeadge PE , @NikR_PE, @ChebyshevII PE , @squaretaper LIT AF PE , @djl PE , @beccabun PE , @Dothracki PE

Unconfirmed/No response yet: @harshaPEAZ , @vhab49_PE , @jean15paul_PE , @MadamPirate PE , @EyehatethePEexam PE

Anyone else? @Roarbark , @blybrook PE , @leggo PE ?

Letters Sent: @tj_PE

Free free to let me know what kind of mafia round you guys wish to play. Traditional rules? PMs allowed/not allowed? Special roles? I'm open to any suggestions. Don't know of a theme yet, but I have a couple of ideas. I could say it won't be crazy/silly like the octopush round, but then I'd be a DLD.

I'll start taking votes on type of mafia game/rules, and we'll start Tuesday. That will give time for more players to join, @txjennah PE will be back, and also Mondays are usually quite busy for us.
I'm still pretty crazy at work, but I miss the game so I'll try to play.

Right now we have 14 players, so we're approaching Christmas round numbers. I know we have strayed from the traditional format in recent rounds, but some you applauded the "no PM" rule, while others have liked the additional special roles, and there was also word that the new format favored the mafia, but the mafia have not won in a while.

I was researching the "Ultimate Werewolf" game format, where different roles were dealt on cards, but the moderator could include roles (or not) depending on number of players and game balance. Below is a link to the site:

https://pegasusshop.de/media/pdf/d8/9a/93/4250231704208_gb.pdf
Since we like to use "mafia" roles, I thought about using the following format with 14 players. We can still include more players and tweak the roles a bit for fairer game balance, but I was thinking:

• Townies vs Mafia (Game ends when ALL members of one side are eliminated)
  • PMs are allowed on both sides (favors the town, but adding more mafia roles could balance it out)
  • The moderator will announce the role of each death (day lynchings and night kills)
  • The following roles will be used with "+" values benefitting the town and "-" benefitting the mafia:
Town roles:
All townies vote during the day to lynch a suspect.
+1 Regular Townie
+7 Cop - Investigates one player each night. Is only told whether that player is townie or mafia (no special role indicated, only alignment)
+3 Doctor - May choose to save one person each night. May not choose the same person two nights in a row.
+2 Troublemaker - Only ONCE during the game, the troublemaker tells the moderator there will be two lynchings the following day. This will be announced in the morning.

Mafia roles:
A mafia members vote whom to nightkill. If there is a tie, the mod will randomly choose which one to night kill.
-6 Regular Mafia
-8 Mafia Boss - If the mafia boss is killed, the mafia are granted two kills that night. The mafia (if the boss agrees) may also choose to sacrifice their boss in order to gain two kills that night (in addition to the boss)
-3 Mafia Spy - Tries to find the cop each night. The spy does not know who the mafia are, and the mafia do not know who their spy is. If the spy is investigated by the cop, the spy shows up as a "townie". The spy may investigate one player each day, with the investigation reporting back as "Cop" or "Not the cop."

So if we have 4 mafia (2 regular, 1 spy and 1 boss), that's 23 points favoring the mafia.
If we have 10 townies (1 cop, 1 doctor, 1 troublemaker, 7 regular) then it's 19/23 favoring the mafia, but the townies get PMs so I'm thinking that should balance it out.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Right now we have 14 players, so we're approaching Christmas round numbers. I know we have strayed from the traditional format in recent rounds, but some you applauded the "no PM" rule, while others have liked the additional special roles, and there was also word that the new format favored the mafia, but the mafia have not won in a while.

I was researching the "Ultimate Werewolf" game format, where different roles were dealt on cards, but the moderator could include roles (or not) depending on number of players and game balance. Below is a link to the site:

Since we like to use "mafia" roles, I thought about using the following format with 14 players. We can still include more players and tweak the roles a bit for fairer game balance, but I was thinking:

• PMs are allowed on both sides (favors the town, but adding more mafia roles could balance it out)
  • The moderator will announce the role of each death (day lynchings and night kills)
  • The following roles will be used with "+" values benefitting the town and "-" benefitting the mafia:
Town roles:
+1 Regular Townie
+7 Cop - Investigates one player each night. Is only told whether that player is townie or mafia (no special role indicated, only alignment)
+3 Doctor - May choose to save one person each night. May not choose the same person two nights in a row.
+2 Troublemaker - Only ONCE during the game, the troublemaker tells the moderator there will be two lynchings the following day. This will be announced in the morning.

Mafia roles:
A mafia members vote whom to nightkill. If there is a tie, the mod will randomly choose which one to night kill.
-6 Regular Mafia
-8 Mafia Boss - If the mafia boss is killed, the mafia are granted two kills that night. The mafia (if the boss agrees) may also choose to sacrifice their boss in order to gain two kills that night (in addition to the boss)
-3 Mafia Spy - Tries to find the cop each night. The spy does not know who the mafia are, and the mafia do not know who their spy is. If the spy is investigated by the cop, the spy shows up as a "townie". The spy may investigate one player each day, with the investigation reporting back as "Cop" or "Not the cop."

So if we have 4 mafia (2 regular, 1 spy and 1 boss), that's 23 points favoring the mafia.
If we have 10 townies (1 cop, 1 doctor, 1 troublemaker, 7 regular) then it's 19/23 favoring the mafia, but the townies get PMs so I'm thinking that should balance it out.

sounds great to me! I'll be the troublemaker!
giphy (1).gif

Town roles:
+1 Regular Townie

Mafia roles:
-6 Regular Mafia

After long and thoughtful consideration of the new roles I've decided that @beccabun PE is definitely going to be mafia.

Town roles:
+1 Regular Townie

Mafia roles:
-6 Regular Mafia

You did math. How can I argue?

Town roles:
+1 Regular Townie

Mafia roles:
-6 Regular Mafia

Unlike @jean15paul_PE, I think the over abundance of math is sus. I need a @RBHeadge PE analytical breakdown. They're the only one I trust with math.

Unlike @jean15paul_PE, I think the over abundance of math is sus. I need a @RBHeadge PE analytical breakdown. They're the only one I trust with math.
I like how I'm sus even as a mod. I feel honored.

The math is based on a live game format in which the equivalent of PMs are not allowed. I got the feeling allowing PMs made the game more fun and sociable, so I wanted to include them, but you guys let me know how you want to proceed. I'm fine either way.

My only other issue is with the mafia spy (Sorcerer role in Ultimate Werewolf). This really puts a damper on the cop (Seer) role, but I guess something has to balance out the powerful cop role.

I will lock up the teams before I leave work today and we'll start the round tomorrow morning. Until then, I'm open to suggestions!

The "ultimate werewolf" rules could be fun. It helps that they have been play tested by pros before. I would like to try them.
The mafia spy adds an interesting wrinkle. I could see this being being both good and bad for both the mafia and the town.
Town doc is nerfed in these rules. The role is rarely effectively in-game. But it's powerful when used properly. Especially with PMs. The role under these roles has been nerfed to a speed bump instead of a jersey wall. Not advocating for change per se, just throwing that out there

Four mafia and 10 town has the potential to be a short game. It gets balanced by the fact that it has to be a total town kill to end the game. There is still the potential for the game to "over" by the morning of day 4.

Is everyone ready for another DLD moderated mafia round?!? This round's theme will be "BACK TO SCHOOL - CUTTING CLASS."

The NCEES has determined today's engineers are out of touch with the general public and expected level of professionalism. Complaints from clients, contractors and architects indicate poor grammar, misspellings, lack of common sense, bad attitudes (i.e. "smugness"), lack of creativity, and stubbornness (unwilling to budge on budget issues or working as a team to meet ridiculous deadlines). The local licensing board has decreed all engineers report back to public school to be "reformed." Engineers will spend 6 weeks at the school and must receive passing grades in basic math, spelling, reading comprehension, art and conduct (ethics). The cooperative engineers (Townies) will do their best to get through the program, which (at least for adults) has a 60% pass rate and 30% survival rate. Other engineers (Mafia) will try to sabotage the program and decrease the survival rate even further to pressure the licensing board into abandoning the program.

The game will start Tuesday, August 3rd. Lynching will be allowed on the first day. Mafia can nightkill the first night. The pyscho-killer can start killing Friday evening.

The Mafia members are going to privately tell me who they would like to eliminate during the night. I will reveal to everyone what happened the next morning with some delightful storytelling.

ONCE in this round, the troublemaker will privately tell me if they want to stir up trouble. If so, there will be two lynchings the following day.

During the day, everybody (townsfolk and Mafia) will publicly vote for a person to eliminate; I will eliminate the person with the most votes at the end of the day and reveal what their role was. Tie-breakers will be decided by the mod/randomizer. In the case of two-lynchings, players with the most votes will be lynched. If there is only one vote and there must be two lynchings, the mod/randomizer will choose the second lynching. The game ends when all the mafia have been eliminated, freeing the students (Townies) from school, or if all students have been found dead (cutting class) and the Mafia wins.

In addition to regular townsfolk and members of the Mafia, there are the following special roles:
  • Cop – May investigate one player each night with no limit to number of investigations. The cop is only told whether their target is townie or mafia (no special role indicated; only alignment). If the Mafia Spy is targeted, the investigation will show up as “Townie.”
  • Doctor – May choose to save one person each night (no limit). May not choose the same person two nights in a row.
  • Troublemaker – Only ONCE during the game, the troublemaker tells the mod during the night there will be two lynchings the following day. This will be announced in the morning.
  • Mafia Boss – If the mafia boss is lynched, the mafia are granted two kills that night. The mafia (the boss must agree) may also choose to sacrifice their boss in order to gain two kills that night (in addition to the boss).
  • Mafia Spy – Tries to find the cop each night. The spy does not initially know who the mafia are, and the mafia do not know who their spy is. If the spy is investigated by the cop, the spy shows up as a “Townie.” The spy may investigate one player each day, with the investigation showing up as “Cop” or “Not the cop.” Note: Since the spy is on the mafia team, they also get to vote during the nightkill, so it would be prudent for the "known" mafia members to all vote in agreement to prevent any ties/no nightkills. This also creates incentive for the spy to get in touch with the rest of the mafia members (publicly or privately) as soon as possible.
The Mafia members (including the Mafia Boss but NOT the Mafia Spy) know who each other are, but no one knows anyone else’s role except me. Each player has received a PM from me with their alignment and role. If you did not receive a PM from me, you are a regular townie.

Standard EB-mafia game rules apply which means PMing is allowed!

Please keep all trash talk in the thread and don’t take things too seriously!

You may use this thread to vote and post about the game. Anyone (playing or not playing, eliminated or not) can use this thread to speculate, discuss, accuse, or otherwise participate in the game; just please make sure to follow regular EB forum guidelines.

To vote on a person to eliminate, mention me @DuranDuran PE and tell me specifically that 1) you are voting and 2) the username of the person you are voting to eliminate.

Please submit your votes by 9:00 PM EST/8:00 PM Central/7:00 PM Mountain/6:00 PM Pacific Time/Whatever Roar and Bly-time ; I will count votes after that time as being for the next day.

Your vote only counts if you are playing and not yet eliminated. If there is a tie for most votes, I will pick one of the voted users at random. If there are no votes, I will pick a person at random (i.e. role will not matter) to eliminate; suffice it to say it’s in both groups’ best interest to vote for at least one person.

Finally, you are not allowed to reveal your role, privately or publicly, after you have been eliminated. You may not post screengrabs of private messages in this thread.

For reference, the 14 players in this round are:

@txjennah PE , @BlueBlueprint_PE , @SaltySteve PE , @RBHeadge PE , @NikR_PE , @ChebyshevII PE , @squaretaper LIT AF PE , @djl PE , @beccabun PE , @Dothracki PE , @chart94 , @harshaPEAZ , @jean15paul_PE , @EyehatethePEexam PE

Good luck everyone, and have fun! Roles will be sent out shortly.

All roles have been sent out. If you did not receive a PM from me, that means you are a regular townie.

Voting will start tomorrow morning. I will be available mid-morning tomorrow to start returning any investigations.

The pyscho-killer can start killing Friday evening.

In addition to regular townsfolk and members of the Mafia, there are the following special roles:
  • Cop – May investigate one player each night with no limit to number of investigations. The cop is only told whether their target is townie or mafia (no special role indicated; only alignment). If the Mafia Spy is targeted, the investigation will show up as “Townie.”
  • Doctor – May choose to save one person each night (no limit). May not choose the same person two nights in a row.
  • Troublemaker – Only ONCE during the game, the troublemaker tells the mod during the night there will be two lynchings the following day. This will be announced in the morning.
  • Mafia Boss – If the mafia boss is lynched, the mafia are granted two kills that night. The mafia (the boss must agree) may also choose to sacrifice their boss in order to gain two kills that night (in addition to the boss).
  • Mafia Spy – Tries to find the cop each night. The spy does not initially know who the mafia are, and the mafia do not know who their spy is. If the spy is investigated by the cop, the spy shows up as a “Townie.” The spy may investigate one player each day, with the investigation showing up as “Cop” or “Not the cop.” Note: Since the spy is on the mafia team, they also get to vote during the nightkill, so it would be prudent for the "known" mafia members to all vote in agreement to prevent any ties/no nightkills. This also creates incentive for the spy to get in touch with the rest of the mafia members (publicly or privately) as soon as possible.

Is there a psycho-killer role? Or was that a holdover statement?

Back