EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I...I don't know.  Wait.  Can a doctor save a mafia person?
Yes. But its a HUGE gamble by the mafia. The mafia has to select one of their own and count on both: 1) the doctor being alive* and 2) and that the doctor will protect the same person they selected. The latter seems like a big stretch without the use of PMs. If these don't happen all they are doing is literally killing their win probability. I suppose the reward is a guaranteed win for one mafia member. 

*after night 2 in this context

Has that been done before?
No, because it's risky af.

Yes. But its a HUGE gamble by the mafia. The mafia has to select one of their own and count on both: 1) the doctor being alive* and 2) and that the doctor will protect the same person they selected. The latter seems like a big stretch without the use of PMs. If these don't happen all they are doing is literally killing their win probability. I suppose the reward is a guaranteed win for one mafia member. 

*after night 2 in this context

No, because it's risky af.
Well, the mafia could just not target someone one night, since with the new rules we don't learn WHY no one was killed.

Then whoever the doc protected would be trusted because it will be assumed that the mafia targeted them. Still would require the doc protecting a member of the mafia. But eliminates the risk of targeting one of their own.

I don't see why not.  I mean, if the Dr THINKS they are a good guy and attempt to save them, but then the Mafia wouldn't try to off their own in the night, would they? So it would have to coincide with the mafia not nightkilling, so could be possible, I guess?
So in tourney rules:

• The mafia must nightkill every night. If they don't select a target, a random non-mafia person will be targeted instead.
  • if the JoAT uses the doctor action and successfully saves their target then the JoAT will receive a message from the game mod that they successfully saved <player name>. Further, the mod will announce in the public thread that no one was nightkilled.
In EB classic rules:

• The mafia does not need to nightkill every night. IIRC, there were two occasions where the mafia forgot/neglected to name their nightkill target.
  • If the doctor successfully saves the target of a nightkill attempt then they will receive no PM from the mod that they were successful. The mod will announce to the thread that <player name> was targeted by the mafia and saved by the doctor

When the vigilante or serial killer is included in the rules then the above message is changed to <player name> was targeted last night but saved by the doctor; or something similar where there is no indication if they were targeted by the mafia or vig/SK

However with all of this written, I'm not sure if we are playing classic EB or a tourney/EB hybrid.

So in tourney rules:

• The mafia must nightkill every night. If they don't select a target, a random non-mafia person will be targeted instead.
  • if the JoAT uses the doctor action and successfully saves their target then the JoAT will receive a message from the game mod that they successfully saved <player name>. Further, the mod will announce in the public thread that no one was nightkilled.
In EB classic rules:

• The mafia does not need to nightkill every night. IIRC, there were two occasions where the mafia forgot/neglected to name their nightkill target.
  • If the doctor successfully saves the target of a nightkill attempt then they will receive no PM from the mod that they were successful. The mod will announce to the thread that <player name> was targeted by the mafia and saved by the doctor

When the vigilante or serial killer is included in the rules then the above message is changed to <player name> was targeted last night but saved by the doctor; or something similar where there is no indication if they were targeted by the mafia or vig/SK

However with all of this written, I'm not sure if we are playing classic EB or a tourney/EB hybrid.
I should be announcing who didn't die, but for two things: 1. I couldn't figure out how to fit it in my IKEA narrative, and 2. I like the mystery. 

Apparently, I've been a bad mod. *slaps own hands*

I should be announcing who didn't die, but for two things: 1. I couldn't figure out how to fit it in my IKEA narrative, and 2. I like the mystery. 

Apparently, I've been a bad mod. *slaps own hands*
1) You're allowed poetic license. 2) You can run it that way, but it does marginally add to the mafia win percentage vs baseline.

I wouldn't agree with your second sentence.

👻 I should still hold a grudge, y'know with the dumbass town lynching me on day 1, but I'll give you a little advice here anyway. The town doesn't need potentially-missing "saved by" messages, or the claims of an alleged doctor to figure out the known townies this round. The voting record of those townies speak for themselves. 👻

1) You're allowed poetic license. 2) You can run it that way, but it does marginally add to the mafia win percentage vs baseline.

I wouldn't agree with your second sentence.
@ #2, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given our historical win rates, IIRC. 

@MadamPirate PE oh stop it. When you're mod you're allowed to do whatever you want. Like bring me back to life. ;)

They both say it...I am definitely going to fix that 

View attachment 18230
A man of culture, I see.

👻 I should still hold a grudge, y'know with the dumbass town lynching me on day 1, but I'll give you a little advice here anyway. The town doesn't need potentially-missing "saved by" messages, or the claims of an alleged doctor to figure out the known townies this round. The voting record of those townies speak for themselves. 👻
I was on the fence whether to even post cause of this ^, but I was pretty confident I was getting night targeted, so :) .

@ #2, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given our historical win rates, IIRC. 

@MadamPirate PE oh stop it. When you're mod you're allowed to do whatever you want. Like bring me back to life. ;)
Has anyone been keeping track of town vs mafia wins? I know someone was keeping track but I don't know if they kept it up or not? I feel like the mafia had a pretty good streak for a couple months there.

Has anyone been keeping track of town vs mafia wins? I know someone was keeping track but I don't know if they kept it up or not? I feel like the mafia had a pretty good streak for a couple months there.
Not sure about that. I haven't been. I may be spouting propaganda here. 

Back