EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Game everyone I couldn't believe the luck of that one. It seems like a pretty good game recap has already been posted (west coast timing... :)

Most of this is probably not news anymore, but here we go.

Mafia
@squaretaper LIT AF PE @MadamPirate PE @blybrook PE @chart94

And I have no idea how the randomizer chose the 4 players that haven't played in forever to all be mafia together

And @steelnole15 voting for @squaretaper LIT AF PE was

@txjennah PE was the Doc

The day one voting pitting a mafia against the doc in a game of chance, 50/50 chance of taking to the doc on day 1. Luck was on the side of the townies and @squaretaper LIT AF PE was the wheel of names choice.

@MeowMeow PE was the cop
@jean15paul_PE was the cassandra

The cassandra role definitely played an awesome role this round. I like the no PM rounds personally, I think it (usually) makes it a bit harder for the townies since they can't converse outside of the public thread.

Day 1
Doc Save : @RBHeadge PE
Cop Investigation: @RBHeadge PE
Town Lynch: @squaretaper LIT AF PE (MAFIA) lynched by pure luck
Night Kill: NONE There was only one "suggested" kill by @blybrook PE , but the other 3 mafia members remained silent.
I feel like it's been a really long time since RBH has been mafia..hopefully after this geopolitical situation calms down @RBHeadge PE can play again :)
Cassandra Vision: @Dothracki PE

Day 2
Cop Investigation: @txjennah PE
Town Lynch: @chart94 (MAFIA) with the mafia not voting for a NK the next two lynches resulting in Mafia was fairly easy to target it seemed
Night Kill: @steelnole15
Cassandra Vision: @Spitfire6532

Day 3
Cop Investigation: @Spitfire6532 (had the cop caught on to who the Cassandra was, the investigations could have been less duplicative, but I like keeping the Cassandra reveals as vague as possible)
Town Lynch: @MadamPirate PE (MAFIA)
Night Kill: @RBHeadge PE (saved by the doc)
Cassandra Vision: @MeowMeow PE

Day 4
Doc Save : @MeowMeow PE
Cop Investigation: @vhab49_PE
Town Lynch: @beccabun PE (TOWNIE)
Night Kill: @txjennah PE (DOC)
Cassandra Vision: @EyehatethePEexam PE

Day 5
Doc Save : --
Cop Investigation: @eng_girl95
Town Lynch: @blybrook PE (Final MAFIA) Bly managed to stay under the radar for quite awhile. It wasn't until @steelnole15 made his post that people started re-looking at the Cassandra and who the final mafia was.
Night Kill: --
Cassandra Vision:--

I did consider taking a vote of the remaining players on if they thought the reveal had significantly impacted the game enough to call it a draw after that fiasco with steel. RBH and I had a PM convo about it too, and I PM'd @eng_girl95 who was completely frustrated and confused. But it is just a game. Some take it much more seriously than others. So, the game went on. Once I saw @RBHeadge PE vote for @blybrook PE I had a feeling it was over. I had a slight glimmer of hope when people started voting for @jean15paul_PE, but alas the townies pulled out another quick one.

Mod notes:
I prefer the no PM rounds. And did not enjoy the "MOD has to be included in every PM" as much as you would think. It was entertaining, but overwhelming and hard to keep all the convos straight. I was added to 14 PMs I think.... and that's just too much.

I think a good alternative to allowing PMs might be to have only a confirmed townie thread. Then you would have the Mafia thread and Townie thread, likely activated by the cop.

I like the idea of Cassandra being revealed to the cop similar to if the doctor were revealed to the cop. It continues to add mystery to the game, and if the cop has already had suspicion on who the cassandra is, it would maybe help solidify their suspicion. Also, Cassandra, could be played as a Mafia member. I still want to see that scenario. It would very much add some fun to the game! Of course, it could be interesting if the Cassandra were revealed as the Cassandra while they are simultaneously Mafia.... It is a very fun role!

Good Game everyone! I'm down for the next game.

It was going to be a tough round for the mafia to pull off after the way it started. It was just a matter of time before I had been found.

Good game by all, and just remember, it's only a game! There shouldn't be any hard feelings or issues.

I'll probably sit out until the week of the 7th. Looks like I might be in the field or in training next week.

Thanks to @BlueBlueprintPE for the mod efforts. Good game all.

@RBHeadge PE Good luck!

After reading the recap from @BlueBlueprintPE, I noted that the roll of doc was slightly revised since the last time I played (where I was the bumbling doc). Previously, the doc couldn't attempt to save the same person multiple nights in a row. This rule change definitely helped the town out this past round.

In any case, it was nearly a speed round considering the number of players.

I do like the Cassandra roll and think it should remain an active part of the game.

Thank you for modding @BlueBlueprintPE . It was a dynamic and really interesting round, and I think the townies worked really well together. I also like the no PM rounds - it makes it a LOT harder, but it's also really fun!

I think most of you understand this already, but when I was speculating on the Cassandra, I was going off of previous conclusions made in this thread, conclusions that I even had clarified earlier in the round since I thought I had missed a save as a doc. I certainly did not mean to unleash a firestorm. But despite the mild implosion we all experienced after this, I think it was a good reminder of why the rules are in place. Thank you @BlueBlueprintPE for navigating us through that.

Yep.

I knew it had to be nole or jean at the end of the second day. When jean kept making comments on day 3 I knew it was him. I was quite happy to keep up the illusion that nole was the cassandra. It meant that the mafia wouldn't be specifically gunning for the cassandra, and I could tweak my reads in a certain way to give cover to the cassandra cleared players.

Yeah, which is why I wanted him to quickly and quietly edit his post. It was game effecting and against the rules. I couldn't PM him per the rules of the round either. I thought a subtle comment would be enough, but that only lead to heel digging and giving it more attention.

The net effect was that most players knew the cassandra was alive and would start looking for them and their hints. Including the mafia. It was a perceived advantage to the town. In the end it didn't matter as the game was already all-but-won. @BlueBlueprintPE and I did PM about it and there was some discussion about nullifying the round.

Prior to the announcement, there was a very narrow path for mafia victory. I won't explain it in detail here, but if the last mafia had already known that the cassandra was alive, with a lot of luck there were a few steps they could have made to try to get a victory. It would have been very tough but doable. I had already mapped that path when "fishboning" the cop/doc reveal that morning. With nole's annoucnement, that path was closed off. Mathematically it was near impossible for the mafia to win so long as the town avoided doing anything above and beyond the call of stupidity.
I just want to be on the same team as @RBHeadge PE from now on .... 😂

After reading the recap from @BlueBlueprintPE, I noted that the roll of doc was slightly revised since the last time I played (where I was the bumbling doc). Previously, the doc couldn't attempt to save the same person multiple nights in a row. This rule change definitely helped the town out this past round.
That's interesting! I kind of like that rule actually. I will probably add that in my next modded round. :)

I have a question about the Cassandra role.

Jean used statements like "I am pretty sure that "Player A" is town." , which to me is not the same as saying "Player A is town." When I was Cassandra, and reading the rules, I was under the impression that the Cassandra's statements had to be phrased like the second phrase. Maybe I just misunderstood the rule, but it obviously drastically changes how the Cassandra is played, and how to look for the Cassandra.

Jean used statements like "I am pretty sure that "Player A" is town." , which to me is not the same as saying "Player A is town." When I was Cassandra, and reading the rules, I was under the impression that the Cassandra's statements had to be phrased like the second phrase. Maybe I just misunderstood the rule, but it obviously drastically changes how the Cassandra is played, and how to look for the Cassandra.
Same. I thought it had to be a statement of fact in it's own sentence, not a fact within a sentence of slightly different context.

However, I like what @jean15paul_PE did. It was more cleverly disguised and gives the Cassandra a bit more cover, so it was good use of words.

I do think it's worth talking about some specifics of the Cassandra role. I think the mod should always have the ability to shape the game how they choose, but consistency in the rules of the roles helps players understand. And if something is different it can specifically be called out in the starting mod post.

For whatever it's worth, I shared all my reveal posts with the mod in our chat just to make sure they were "reveal-y" enough because it did feel like there's possible grey area.

An internal rule that I decided on for myself was that the words "<player> is <role>" had to be there exactly like that, but I could put whatever I wanted around those words. I'm not saying that is the right answer; it just felt right to me in the moment. Noticed I always said "regular townie" not just "townie" because that's how it was revealed to me. Again, not saying that's the right answer; just felt right to me at the time. But maybe that would be too big of a tell, now that it's out there.

Last edited:
I am with @DLD PE , I like the way that you played the role @jean15paul_PE . It makes it a little more interesting, otherwise you have to essentially openly confess to being the Cassandra, which makes you an instant target. I think your interpretation of the rules is probably the most sporting.

I told my husband last week that he had cooties, and I think it's the first time I've uttered that phrase since fifth grade.

I really like @jean15paul_PE 's interpretation of the Cassandra role. I think it makes it a lot harder to guess and makes game play more exciting...especially in a no PM round!

Same. I thought it had to be a statement of fact in it's own sentence, not a fact within a sentence of slightly different context.

However, I like what @jean15paul_PE did. It was more cleverly disguised and gives the Cassandra a bit more cover, so it was good use of words.
The data dump with 10 or 20 roles revealed, only some being true, is a twice-used strategy (counting JP's pre-typed response he didn't share until the end) that basically exclaims "I'm the Cassandra and I have to share things I don't want to share." That meets the statement of fact obligation, exposes the Cassandra and leaves it up to the confirmed townie group to decipher- the non-confirmed townies, or all townies in a non-PM round, may not be privy to enough information to cherry pick the revelations.

A version of what JP did I've seen that satisfies the requirements while adding a bit of a cloak is "I've read the back and forth from today and have come to a conclusion. (Player) is (role)." The cloak doesn't work if you're a regular and never talk like that. I was NK'd the only time I was going to be the Cassandra (thanks Obama), my intention was to use the second strategy and add my patent pending "subject to change" or "but I don't know what I'm doing.(also a fact most of the time)"

I don't know if JP's interpretation was kosher by the original set of rules, but I definitely liked it. I'd vote for allowing it going forward.

I am with @DLD PE , I like the way that you played the role @jean15paul_PE . It makes it a little more interesting, otherwise you have to essentially openly confess to being the Cassandra, which makes you an instant target. I think your interpretation of the rules is probably the most sporting.
I told my husband last week that he had cooties, and I think it's the first time I've uttered that phrase since fifth grade.

I really like @jean15paul_PE 's interpretation of the Cassandra role. I think it makes it a lot harder to guess and makes game play more exciting...especially in a no PM round!
agree. I don't think it would be very interesting if the cassandra role/reveals were too obvious. The mafia would figure it out immediately and NK them, thus rendering the role useless. It's still possible being vague, @RBHeadge PE obviously picked up on it, but it definitely makes it a bit trickier to figure out.

Back