EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh so cool, didn't know you were a violinist!
Nuuuu, I'm an adult student! Started lessons 3 years ago. I love it, but I suck. YOU ARE SO COOL.

and it sounds really sad and screechy.
Prob a dumb question, but are you 150,000% sure your violin is set up correctly (for you)? Esp if you've picking it up after a long time, mebbe yer biomechanics are different now? I had my luthier lower the action on mine by approx. 0.25mm. Otherwise in 3, 4, 5th positions I don't have the finger strength to really press down without also touching the other strings and sounding like a dying cat.

Nuuuu, I'm an adult student! Started lessons 3 years ago. I love it, but I suck. YOU ARE SO COOL.

Prob a dumb question, but are you 150,000% sure your violin is set up correctly (for you)? Esp if you've picking it up after a long time, mebbe yer biomechanics are different now? I had my luthier lower the action on mine by approx. 0.25mm. Otherwise in 3, 4, 5th positions I don't have the finger strength to really press down without also touching the other strings and sounding like a dying cat.
That's so badass that you started as an adult. No, I'm sure you do not suck!! :)

The Sinfonietta I'm playing in just accepts anyone without an audition process, as long as you are a warm body that can play your instrument. My city does have a symphony, but that requires auditions and I'm nowhereeeeeeee near where I need to be for that. Maybe one day. Maybe. At this point, I just want to play without sounding crunchy on the E string.

Not a dumb question at all. It probably isn't; I bought it from a pawn shop in 2005, during a brief period where I thought I was going to play again (to the dismay and horror of everyone living in my dorm at the time). So who knows how good it is. My violin teacher has been saying I should eventually upgrade, but I want to make sure I'm reallllly playing it for awhile before spending the $$$ on it.

You didn't ask, but here it is anyway: I like the Lenzner E string (made in Germany) and the Westminster E (made in USA).

New strings always make a fiddle sound better. *dusty rosin high five*
Yes! I had old ass strings when I started my lesson (the originals that came with the violin back when I bought it). My teacher was like, "Ummmmm okay, yeah, you need to swap those out, those sound like shit." She had me buy the Thomastik Dominant.

(She didn't actually say it like that - she is a very nice lady in her mid-70s who was visibly agitated when I took the Lord's name in vain after playing the wrong note).

Sorry guys, I tried. Who knew mobilizing an entire unit to another area in the hospital would be so much work (especially since I wasn't part of the design).

Trrrrrrriple post
Nobody ever includes us in the initial design. We're trying to back track now with an architect on a project, working for a client who wants fully redundant UPS for IT infrastructure and trading desks with emergency power in a number of areas as well so that they can remain functional for at least a day if a blackout occurs. They basically gave us no space and now we have to figre out were to put 750 square feet of IT and MEP infrastructure on a floor that had only allocated just about 200 square feet for this infrastructure. Their lease area of the floor is about 11,000 square usable feet for reference.

Nole is the cop. Rbh was the cop. Duran was the cop. Cheb was the doctor. Flange is mafia. Lariless is mafia. Nole is the doctor. Rbh was town. Duran was the doctor. Cheb was the cop.
Sweet, I'm the cop AND the doctor? Wow, and here I thought I was niether one! lol

Back