EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Independence Day, in this context, but so many movies have lines about kicking ass.
To give credit to references:

I didn't come up with the theme until after we got 14 players signed up. I was reading the Ultimate Werewolf rules/roles, and the PDF describing the roles got me thinking of doing a werewolf/medieval theme. But then our son's first day of school was last week, so I thought, why not do a back-to-school theme? And it just rolled from there.

My first thought came from the horror stories I was hearing from parents and teachers who had recently quit/resigned from the public school system. I thought of what might happen if adults today all of a sudden had to adapt to modern school life/culture. What happens when kids take over a school? South Park's "Wacky Molestation Adventure" episode came to mind, which borrowed themes from Steven King's "Children of the Corn". That's where my "Children of the Corridor" came from. I made up the class activities on the fly, and the torture traps at the end were inspired by the "Saw" films, but none of those traps are actually in the films. I just tried to make up a scenario where 4 people who might be on the same team or on opposite teams had to figure out if they did/didn't want to save each other or just themselves. I didn't think of it, nor did I think of bringing players back to life until yesterday.

Shriek was a made up character, sort of inspired by Tweek of South Park and Screech from Saved by the Bell (though I never actually watched the show), but his image came from the Shutter Island character. His line was stolen from Independence Day where the old scientist proclaims, "We're going to kick some alien ass!" Another line I "stole" was from Days of Thunder: "What's the one thing you gotta do to win a race? You have to FINISH the race!" A buddy of mine from work was a big fan of the movie, and cracked up years ago when I told him, "What's the one thing we gotta do to make money a project? We have to FINISH the project!" after lamenting the constant revisions and pro-bono changes our employer was doing for unappreciative architects.

One has to be careful when creating ties so late in the day. It looks suspicious; like it's an attempt to save someone else or sacrifice a specific player. When they have happened in the previous games they tend to work against their intended purpose. Either revealing other mafia or confusing the townies and causing mislynches.

In this specific case it was a critical vote that took our the cop. Pretty unfortunate all around and it makes you a target for everyone. A target from the townies because you took our their greatest asset, and a target for the mafia who can set your lynch as an easy distraction and mislynch for the day.
Yup I served myself of the chopping board myself due to that stupid vote.... nvr again lol

Good game everyone! Thank you for allowing me to mod/write this round. I enjoyed it!

As a reference:

View attachment 23332

And a few notes:

View attachment 23333
So yeah, as stated above....

I investigated @RBHeadge PE on day 1. Rationale: He's a really strong player. I was hoping he'd be on the town's side to start the confirmed townie block and help us interpret the game's events and mechanics. I was very disappointed when he came back mafia. But glad to have identified a maf.

I investigated @SaltySteve PE on day 2. I chose salty because he voted for me without a strong rationale. I was actually wondering if he was the mafia spy and if I had been found out as the cop. I had already decided that he if came back "townie" then he may be the spy and I would not contact him. But he came back mafia. I was relieved because that meant I hadn't been outed. I voted for him in retaliation as I thought that was the action that would call the least amount of attention to myself.

I was excited that I had already identified 2 of the 3-4 mafia, but I hadn't found any townies to communicate the intel to. I the odds were with me that the spy hadn't found me. So I kept quiet with the intent to keep investigating and created a confirmed townie block. Unfortunately I didn't log in near the voting deadline so I didn't realize that ended up in a tie for the daykill :( Of course I lost and had all this useful intel but nothing to do with it.

This may have been borderline unethical, but I was kinda trying to indicate what I knew with my comments and reactions. I'm pretty sure the mafia picked up on it, but I don't think any of the townies did.

Last edited:

I investigated @RBHeadge PE on day 1. Rationale: He's a really strong player. I was hoping he'd be on the town's side to start the confirmed townie block and help us interpret the game's events and mechanics. I was very disappointed when he came back mafia. But glad to have identified a maf.

I investigated @SaltySteve PE on day 2. I chose salty because he voted for me without a strong rationale. I was actually wondering if he was the mafia spy and if I had been found out as the cop. I had already decided that he if came back "townie" then he may be the spy and I would not contact him. But he came back mafia. I was relieved because that meant I hadn't been outed. I voted for him in retaliation as I thought that was the action that would call the least amount of attention to myself.

I was excited that I had already identified 2 or the 3-4 mafia, but I hadn't found any townies to communicate the intel to. I the odd were with me that the spy hadn't found me. So I kept quiet with the intent to keep investigating and created a confirmed townie block. Unfortunately I didn't log in near the voting deadline so I didn't realize that ended up in a tie for the daykill :( Of course I lost and had all this useful intel but nothing to do with it.

This may have been borderline unethical, but I was kinda trying to indicate what I knew with my comment and reactions. I'm pretty sure the mafia picked up on it, but I don't think any of the townies did.
Not at all unethical. All's fair in love, war and mafia. The only thing you can't do in mafia is outright state your role after you're dead, which you didn't do. You were trying to be smart and give hints. IIRC, @RBHeadge PE picked up on your clue first. I was never part of any townie PM other than the special role players giving me their chosen investigations, so don't know if there was any private townie coalition group.

This may have been borderline unethical, but I was kinda trying to indicate what I knew with my comment and reactions. I'm pretty sure the mafia picked up on it, but I don't think any of the townies did.

I picked up on it and mentioned it to the Mafia group. @RBHeadge PE was ready to go to war and take a bullet for the double kill if you had started a voting block. Fortunately I don't think anyone else noticed it. Had you kept doing it I think it would have gone against the spirit of the not revealing info after you're dead rule but with just the two comments I think it was fair game. I will say though that it was enough to let the mafia know that you had investigated the two of us and probably hadn't had the chance to pass that info along to a townie.

I'm pretty sure the mafia picked up on it,
Ohh yeah we noticed!

IIRC, @RBHeadge PE picked up on your clue first.
It was @SaltySteve PE who spotted it first. After that we couldn't not see it.

At first we figured that @jean15paul_PE definitely ID'd salty. But we were 50/50 if you figured me out. His reactions could have been interpreted in different ways depending on the situation. So it doesn't surprise me if the townies didn't pick up on it. But by the end of the game it was clear that he investigated both of us.

I picked up on it and mentioned it to the Mafia group. @RBHeadge PE was ready to go to war and take a bullet for the double kill if you had started a voting block. Fortunately I don't think anyone else noticed it. Had you kept doing it I think it would have gone against the spirit of the not revealing info after you're dead rule but with just the two comments I think it was fair game. I will say though that it was enough to let the mafia know that you had investigated the two of us and probably hadn't had the chance to pass that info along to a townie.
My bad. It was you who noticed first, not RBH.

Ohh yeah we noticed!

It was @SaltySteve PE who spotted it first. After that we couldn't not see it.

At first we figured that @jean15paul_PE definitely ID'd salty. But we were 50/50 if you figured me out. His reactions could have been interpreted in different ways depending on the situation. So it doesn't surprise me if the townies didn't pick up on it. But by the end of the game it was clear that he investigated both of us.
I was intentionally trying not to be obvious because I didn't want to break the rules.

I was excited that I had already identified 2 of the 3-4 mafia, but I hadn't found any townies to communicate the intel to. I the odds were with me that the spy hadn't found me. So I kept quiet with the intent to keep investigating and created a confirmed townie block. Unfortunately I didn't log in near the voting deadline so I didn't realize that ended up in a tie for the daykill :( Of course I lost and had all this useful intel but nothing to do with it.

This may have been borderline unethical, but I was kinda trying to indicate what I knew with my comments and reactions. I'm pretty sure the mafia picked up on it, but I don't think any of the townies did.
I feel so bad and sad lol we had the entire game from the first day if you were not dead lol... my vote killed the entire game and turned it upside down... hahaha

Back