EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one got any ideas for rigging something up to a bike so it can carry a French horn? Kid has lessons at school on Monday's at lunchtime and normally most adults are at work this time... ??

We have one of these and was wondering what use it would have after mini p-e outgrew it.  Carting French horns obviously

e65b86e5-011f-4f56-9cec-40b3c26b5f98_1.4815a009e8a4fd5584a8455ed5301740.jpeg

Any one got any ideas for rigging something up to a bike so it can carry a French horn? Kid has lessons at school on Monday's at lunchtime and normally most adults are at work this time... ??
BOB trailer for sure. You could also definitely get such a beast on a regular rack. I used to being a suitcase to work on my bike. I've carried other bikes on my bike, so a French horn should fit. Buy a shit ton of bungies. 

Don't you have an Eagle Scout that could fashion a platform? 

we used to have one of those trailers, I sold it when we moved :(

I'm thinking of just putting on the regular bike luggage rack thing and then bolting a piece of plywood cut to the width of the French horn case (around 2 FT) and then yes tons of bungee's

we used to have one of those trailers, I sold it when we moved :(

I'm thinking of just putting on the regular bike luggage rack thing and then bolting a piece of plywood cut to the width of the French horn case (around 2 FT) and then yes tons of bungee's
You could probably also bolt some uprights on it to prevent it from shifting. 

The fiance and I got a good, tough, 26+ mile ride in with 2700' of elevation gain on Saturday. I'd definitely never done a ride as tough as that before, and wasn't a 100% happy camper the entire time (I hadn't eaten enough nor drank enough water beforehand), but I definitely think I'd do it again! The views were amazing, and I felt super accomplished afterwards!

And kudos to my fiance, who knew I could do it and put up with me when I was cursing going uphill, and squealing half out of delight and half out of fear of losing my life going down intensely steep, curvy downhill portions.

The fiance and I got a good, tough, 26+ mile ride in with 2700' of elevation gain on Saturday. I'd definitely never done a ride as tough as that before, and wasn't a 100% happy camper the entire time (I hadn't eaten enough nor drank enough water beforehand), but I definitely think I'd do it again! The views were amazing, and I felt super accomplished afterwards!
Awesome! It was pretty toasty this weekend. Glad we didn't have any casualties!

Did a short ride of about 15+ miles as I rode around town and the surrounding paved trails as I continue prepping for the triathlon in July. According to Samsung, my highest elevation was 721'. BOOM! LOL

Is there a triathlon thread? Really thinking about signing up for an ironman 70.3 in October. 

Is there a triathlon thread? Really thinking about signing up for an ironman 70.3 in October. 
Not that I recall, but ironically I just did my first sprint Triathlon yesterday. It went great and was a lot of fun! :thumbs:

Not that I recall, but ironically I just did my first sprint Triathlon yesterday. It went great and was a lot of fun! :thumbs:
Nice! I have a sprint in September. That's why I was wondering if I should push on to the 70.3 after that since I'm already training. Think you'll do anymore?

Nice! I have a sprint in September. That's why I was wondering if I should push on to the 70.3 after that since I'm already training. Think you'll do anymore?
Most definitely! It was a lot of fun! Not so crazy about the swimming part, but I powered through that. Already looking at another one in August but instead of swimming, it's kayaking! Which I thought was an interesting twist! :D

I don't know that I'll ever want to push for the actual Iron Man triathlon distances though. It's respectable and all, but seems a bit much IMO.

Welp, I had my first legitimate dooring incident this morning.

I got doored into a (thankfully) stationary bus by a dude getting out of an Uber in a middle lane of traffic.

Thankfully, I'm okay (just bruised in a few places). My bike isn't totally wrecked (I, again thankfully, wasn't going that fast), but right now, my front brakes are dislodged and jamming my front wheel. I can't quite tell, but I'm hoping my wheel somehow isn't damaged and that it's just a minor fix I just don't have the right tool for right now. Got the dude's contact info and photo of driver's license, and he was very apologetic and quite nice. He helped me get my bike to my office (about a 10 minute walk, but annoying when your bike's front wheel won't roll). He offered to pay for the fixes for the bike, so we'll see what that comes to.

Overall, I'm just very glad (as I'm sure he, and the bus driver are too) that I was not seriously hurt. And in the 3_ years I've been bike commuting in the city, and with the sheer volume of ride share cars that exist in this city, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I think I had actually pretty good luck overall.

Bummed about my bike though, obviously. As soon as I knew I was okay (no broken bones, sprained anything), my concern immediately went to my bike. I just don't know enough about bikes to know whether it's a big deal or not. But it was the front part of my bike that crashed, so I'm hoping everything in the back is okay.

Back