EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the van really makes the movie and I totally agree with the Jan Ullrich statement. Each year, before my weeklong bike trip, I say, "I'm coming into this fat and out of shape, Jan Ullrich-style." That man was a beast.

EG- I'm going to go with a statement I've made before- the best bike is a bike you'll ride. We bought my husband a $400 Specialized Stumpjumper a few years back. The Trek we just picked up for the kid was around $400. You should be able to get a decent bike at a bike shop for that money. Go ride and see what you like.

My hankering for a CX bike that I can put studded tires on this winter is increasing, rather than decreasing. It's only tempered by getting a CX bike, leaving it be, and putting the studs on the mountain bike. All of this has helped me get over the certainty that I NEEDED a fat bike.

People ask me just how many bikes do I have?

That's like asking a lawyer, "So how many law books you got?"

I know you spandex boys think I am totally against “cyclist” but I observed a older teenager getting taunted from a car while driving around yesterday and pulled over behind the bike after words were exchanged between angry biker teenager and angry automobile driver. (I had been going in the opposite direction and witnessed the encounter)...

I didn’t have to get out of the car but once the driver saw someone pulled over to see what was going on the driver got back in his car and drove away. I’ll probably get shot one day but it looked like some small penis driver type was being a dick head, (well just assume they were a California transplant) .. Also not sure why the high school kid was riding his bike on the road (& drinking a Slurpee) when there was a 10’ trail right next to the road either..

bike folks..

over the weekend we picked up a "specialized" bike from one of my wife's co workers that is having kids (bye bye mountain biking every weekend for you) lols..

got a great deal on it (for my 15 year old daughter) I will post a pic later, but it has those peddles you have to have the funny elf clicking shoes to ride. The "thing" that holds the pedal to the bike is much thicker than any of our old cheap trek bikes, I was hoping that I could unscrew the "regular' pedals from my daughters old bike and install on the "specialized' bike? Doesn't look like that's the case from first glance...

I only paid $175 for the bike, but should I be able to find normal pedals for it easily? Seems anything in a bike shop cost more than what I make a month...

Hell CSB probably has some of those pedestrian bike pedals she wants to get rid of?

It should not be a problem to take the clipless (or as you call them, "elf clicking") pedals off and put standard pedals on. The pedals are reverse threaded, so keep that in mind.

I didn't take them off but it looked like it had a way different bolt?

And that's what everyone sounds like when they walk around in those shoes, elfs ;)

They should be either 1/2" or 9/16". 9/16" is standard on most decent quality bikes, 1/2" standard on cheapies with 1 piece cranks. Some of the French stuff may use an oddball metric size I think (14mm maybe?)

To remember which side is the reverse thread, all you have to do is visualize which way the pedal would naturally try to tighten itself as you pedal around and then turn the wrench the opposite way.

Then pick the other way because I always screw that up. But I have one pedal that's is NEVER EVER going to come loose on my bike.

But I have one pedal that's is NEVER EVER going to come loose on my bike.
^ wanna bet?

06_neutral-cutting-flame.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to get them switched over last night, the 30-year-old trek bike took some motivating though...

My daughter is the only one that wants to go do some serious mountain biking, so now I just need to upgrade my bike and well have something to do after the snow melts

so I did around 25 miles yesterday (trails) man they look ghey as hell but I bought some gloves & HFS do they work! hands didn't feel like I had been hanging from a pull up bar for an hour..

Its probably wrong to ask this question with all the serious bikers here, but Ive been looking at a "specialized" brand bike at a shop I have been going to (that doesn't disgust me with their pompus bike nerd attitude)  seems like for my size I can get into a serious upgrade from my 25 year old mtn bike for around $600-$800 bucks.  More than I truly care to spend on a bike to be honest, but there are some with $5,000 pricetags..

I will mainly do the dirt trails near my house (can go around 30 miles or so without getting on a road which is cool to me) but would also like to be able to do some of the more intermediate trails around (like the Bettsa preserve in Boulder and such)

Anyone had one and had any good or bad issues?  I bought one (used) for my daughter a few months back and she digs it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Specialized road bike about a year and half ago  Like it so far; it's well built and takes hills easily.  Wish I went with the better deraileur system but I'm not a super serious cyclist either.  

Back