EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper for my "serious" mountain bike about 10 years ago now, for around $1200.  It's a great bike, very light and responsive.  I think the main difference between the price range you're looking at will be weight (heavier), and subtle differences in the smoothness of the shifting, quality of the shocks, etc.  You'll probably be happy with it, and if you get super-serious about biking, you'll want to do some research anyway before dropping more than that on a better bike.

for reference this is what I have been riding (actually it somehow looks nicer in this pic) so I figure anything north of $500 will be like driving a lexus.. Im not really even sure what brand it is, although the hippie I bought it from seemed really sad to part with it..

y4unaraj.jpg

RG, I'm more of a skinny tire (road) biker, but a front shock (which any proper mountain bike should have) will do you wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode about 30 miles today.  I was planning on riding a new stretch of multi-use path that opened late last year in a nearby park, but unfortunately, they were burning a prairie so they had a large section of it closed.

I'll have my bikes in about 2 weeks.  The only question will be how soon until thaw comes, and whether or not I need to buy studded tires until then.  

Buff- I think its around 25 years old?  I was broke when I moved here so this was all I had.....

for reference this is what I have been riding (actually it somehow looks nicer in this pic) so I figure anything north of $500 will be like driving a lexus.. Im not really even sure what brand it is, although the hippie I bought it from seemed really sad to part with it..

View attachment 7812
Your bike is like a Lexus compared to my old mountain bike.  Mine was a free hand me down (I'm at least the third owner).  I think it weighs more than me. 

Even though its old I think in its day it was a “real mtn bike” its fairly light (if you want one, come get it and you can have it)

When we moved out here we all had sports authority and Target bikes, since our kids had to bike to school every day (no bus) those bikes quickly fell apart in daily use and the one I had had for 10 years from sports authority totally crapped out after being used more frequently.

So around here bikes and ski equipment are plentiful and although actual ski boots that fit are hard to find on the used market, used ski’s, snowboards, and bikes are insanely cheap. We got all our kids used trek bikes for around $80 to $100 bucks each.  Then were slowly starting to upgrade them.

My husband has a Specialized Stumpjumper and it's what I used for mountain bike racing the first year I tried. They are a good bike brand and you should be fine with something in that price range. 

@Dleg Studded tires are something you could probably pass on for now. 

With the culmination of my graduate school career (at least for now), I think I'd like to get into some light road biking.  Nothing competitive, just recreation.  Right now I have an old school Schwinn Impact (similar to that pictured below w/o any extras) that I've had since high school and used in college.  Any recommendations for a beginner level road bike?

schwinn-impact-conversion-2.jpg

I would suggest going to your local bike shop (LBS) and tell them what your price range is, and GET FITTED ON A FRAME. Proper bike fit is of the utmost importance. Even if the LBS can't get you a bike then, you will at least know what size frame you need. A buddy of mine from college went that route, and his LBS was able to put together a pretty nice bike for him for a reasonable price.

My husband has a Specialized Stumpjumper and it's what I used for mountain bike racing the first year I tried. They are a good bike brand and you should be fine with something in that price range. 

@Dleg Studded tires are something you could probably pass on for now. 
Why?  Just curious.  The main roads are clear here now, but all the side roads are still packed snow and ice.  

Tons of people around here ride around on fat tire bikes, which seem to require a whole new bike because the tires wont fit inside a standard frame like mine.  But I am not planning on buying an entirely new bike.... I see plenty people riding regular mtn bikes.

If they are packed snow and ice, any standard mountain bike tire will handle that. Studs are awful to ride on on bare pavement and really, unless you're riding on shear ice for a long time, you just won't need studs. Trust me- I rode on a lot of ice and snow this winter. Packed stuff is the same as driving your car on it- no sudden turning, no sudden breaking, maintain a steady pace and you're golden. 

they look fun (the fat tire bikes) but they are really ruining some peaceful snow shoeing, as the national forest trails "don't discriminate" they have killed what used to be a fun and relaxing activity.. we try and go find snow shoe hikes that are steeper to avoid the morons on their fat bikes in the winter, we also like to take our handguns and find places to shoot (so were looking for off the beaten path trails that are hard to get to) so sometimes I get some funny looks when "holstered", usually they stop plowing the roads into the Nat Forest and that's  where the subarus normally stop and park, but if you've got a little more ground clearance you can keep going and avoid the masses, but sometimes there are some hardcore fatbikers way they hell beyond where we park the Tahoe / Jeep.

Fatbikes are supposed to yield to everyone

Cross Country skiers yield to hikers, etc

But being a tad of a hypocrite I would like to ride one, but I would be more respectful of other people out enjoying "nature" and shit..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, csb.  

RG, I remember when mountain biking first became a thing, back in the 80s, and how irritated people were on the backcountry trails and how it made all kinds of new rules and etiquette necessary.  I've always been someone who is irritated by obnoxious backcountry users, especially motor sports.

you all were supposed to bust my balls for bitching about bike geeks on fatbikes while out shooting my .357?

Fat bikes ARE hard on trails. Our local trails have designated fat bike sections, plus there's grooming days so fat bikes can make nice to the skiers AND they close the trails to fat bikes as soon as there's any softening of the snow. I usually see the whole thing as skiers are like a mother-in-law and fat bikers are the daughter-in-law who's trying really hard to get her MIL to like her but ultimately failing and dicking something up. 

Happy?

I have to say that they are annoying as fuck. Your enjoying a snow shoe hike with your dog, the snow is falling, and then here comes some dickweed with his earbuds in jamming and zips by you without trying something courteous like at least trying to slow down while they pass you.

They remind me of the same type of people, usually from cali or Texas, you see on a green run at the ski resort going all shaun white on the easy slopes..

Back