EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were going to moab that weekend and are planning to be in your area that monday. Dont know if we will make it there by lunch but we will see...

Wife wants to go to hanging lake and i want to see doc holidays tombstone thing...

Were going to moab that weekend and are planning to be in your area that monday. Dont know if we will make it there by lunch but we will see...

Wife wants to go to hanging lake and i want to see doc holidays tombstone thing...

That was worth repeating ;)

Fail on my part

Last edited by a moderator:

Here you go...

so I need a granny gear if I'm going to make it up some of the hills near my house. I have an old Schwinn steel frame road bike and they quoted several hundred $ at the LBS to achieve this.

I'm thinking of getting a hybrid with 27 speeds for the hills and I can also take it off road on fire roads and such, the wife says they weigh too much and we are going to be doing mostly road riding. I like the price and versatility. What do you think?

This the "Ask csb" thread, right?

(strapping on my fake boobs and wig)

I bought a hybrid (27-speed, disc brakes, front suspension) when I first started riding because, like you, I liked the versatility and the price ($600). It's great for riding around town because the streets around here are in awful shape. It's ok for long-distance riding (longest ride I've done on it is 35 miles), but your wife is right--it's very heavy. You'll be working hard on road rides if she's on a road bike. I can average about 14 mph on my hybrid vs 17 or so on my road bike.

But if you get a road bike there is no "mostly" road riding--you don't want to take one of those off road. My opinion is unless you truly just want to do hardcore road riding, go for the hybrid. I probably ride my hybrid more often than the road bike.

/csb impersonation

That's a lot of fake boob to strap on.

I'd recommend a cyclocross bike. I recommended this to a friend who now loves hers. She was riding mostly bike path, but some gravel roads. The CX bikes are starting to come with more and more gears and features. She also picked it up for a steal at the local bike shop.

That's my official recommendation for a lighter weight bike that can handle road and gravel well. I think it's worth the cost.

Of course, I spent years on a hybrid bike and had fun. I agree with fake csb...your wife is going to have the advantage on roads.

Target was having a sale on bikes last week so I picked up matching Magna Great Divide bikes for me and my wife:

http://www.target.com/p/magna-men-s-great-divide-bike-grey-26/-/A-15222058#prodSlot=medium_1_11&term=great+divide

They came out to about $54 each. I figured since I haven't ridden a bike since college, I would get this to see if I stick with it before upgrading.

Anyway, what kind of things should I look for in terms of adjustments? I've already noticed my wife's bike needs the brakes adjusted since I can pull the handle almost the handlebar before it starts to brake.

I need to adjust mine as well. The back brake grips like a son of the gun, but the front brake feels like its doing next to nothing. Certainly can't lock up the wheel as it sits.

Target was having a sale on bikes last week so I picked up matching Magna Great Divide bikes for me and my wife:

http://www.target.com/p/magna-men-s-great-divide-bike-grey-26/-/A-15222058#prodSlot=medium_1_11&term=great+divide

They came out to about $54 each. I figured since I haven't ridden a bike since college, I would get this to see if I stick with it before upgrading.

Anyway, what kind of things should I look for in terms of adjustments? I've already noticed my wife's bike needs the brakes adjusted since I can pull the handle almost the handlebar before it starts to brake.
an $80 bike is sure to give you a good workout. some bricks in the backpack work too.

You should look at taking it back. Target/Wal-Mart/K-Mart bikes don't adjust well at all.

I need to adjust mine as well. The back brake grips like a son of the gun, but the front brake feels like its doing next to nothing. Certainly can't lock up the wheel as it sits.

Front brakes are for pussies not that necessary if you're mostly riding on paths.

Here's the link to adjust brakes:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

c744cbdbce50b0282784220ff8664551.jpg

Back