Did you get a raise / bonus / perks after getting your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any extra perks you gained?

• Promotion?

Votes: 52 25.1%
  • Extra Vacation or PTO?

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Moved from Cubicle to Office?

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • More expenses paid for? (phone bill, travel, tolls, etc...)

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • NA - Use if none of these answers apply

Votes: 148 71.5%

• Total voters
I don't think you can circumvent taking the PE based on years of experiences, it's only for the FE.
After further reading of the Texas legal document you are correct, they can waive the FE and the PE but for the PE waiver you have to have been licensed previously in a state or territory. I suppose this could help those who obtained a PE License before the exam existed to get a Texas License without taking the test.

My eyes started to bleed after the first few paragraphs and i started to graze over the info at that point. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you're* right (i guess i cant edit posts?)
Not sure if you have to be a Supporting Member AND meet a "number of posts" requirement or just the post requirement. I previously was unable to edit even after the supporting membership, but now i can. Maybe 25 or 30 posts? 

I suppose you're* right (i guess i cant edit posts?)
Not sure if you have to be a Supporting Member AND meet a "number of posts" requirement or just the post requirement. I previously was unable to edit even after the supporting membership, but now i can. Maybe 25 or 30 posts? 

I am a highway design engineer in Dallas, TX.

My employer paid $350 for exam, $1800 for Testmasters, and a full day pay for exam day with a passing score.

I received a $1500 bonus for passing and a 10% raise.

if you are a consulting engineer, and you do work for a lot of state/local govts, and you want to be in charge one day, you should get a PE. If you work in state/local govts and you want to be in charge on day, you should get a PE.  If your ok with being a doer, and not neccessarily a seller/principal, then you dont neccessarily need it.

That being said, i imagine, everyone wants to keep climbing the latter.

Nope.  Took the PE in Oct. 2016 and had an opportunity around the time I took the exam.  Posthumously, for the exam anyway, I received an offer that slated me at $8,000 higher on annual salary, and this was before I received the passing notice.  I have since accepted and anticipate growth beyond what I will ever gain in my current position.  The arrogant, condescending tones from a select few (one?) at the top made this decision easy.  Not to mention, the new position in the FL panhandle.

A cursory view of my background:

Substations, substations, substations, and anything related, up to and including load studies, coordination studies, relay testing and programming, SCADA and associated RTUs, fiber installations, switching, upgrades, maintenance, etc.

A degreed, experienced engineer (now PE) working on 830 contracts and babysitting contractors on a solar project for 13 months... Ha puh-lease.... 

Initially, it was a tough decision, due to having to sell a home and pick my whole life and family up and move 450+ miles. However, the closer next Tuesday gets, the more I could give two shits less by the day!!  Haven't done **** for a week and a half, and I expect I will do less and less.  Feels releshing to be a peon, yet, at the same time, having all the power in the palm of my hand.  

If any of you are in a similar situation, as I was, and you're capable and able to make a career improving move, DO IT!  

Y'all throw the ..|.. and \m/

I was told a raise and a promotion is in the works but nothing has come through. Management has been having issues as of late on dragging their feet. I am waiting to see how this plays out in case I need to be making moves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nope.  Took the PE in Oct. 2016 and had an opportunity around the time I took the exam.  Posthumously, for the exam anyway, I received an offer that slated me at $8,000 higher on annual salary, and this was before I received the passing notice.  I have since accepted and anticipate growth beyond what I will ever gain in my current position.  The arrogant, condescending tones from a select few (one?) at the top made this decision easy.  Not to mention, the new position in the FL panhandle.

A cursory view of my background:

Substations, substations, substations, and anything related, up to and including load studies, coordination studies, relay testing and programming, SCADA and associated RTUs, fiber installations, switching, upgrades, maintenance, etc.

A degreed, experienced engineer (now PE) working on 830 contracts and babysitting contractors on a solar project for 13 months... Ha puh-lease.... 

Initially, it was a tough decision, due to having to sell a home and pick my whole life and family up and move 450+ miles. However, the closer next Tuesday gets, the more I could give two shits less by the day!!  Haven't done **** for a week and a half, and I expect I will do less and less.  Feels releshing to be a peon, yet, at the same time, having all the power in the palm of my hand.  

If any of you are in a similar situation, as I was, and you're capable and able to make a career improving move, DO IT!  

Y'all throw the ..|.. and \m/
i'm confused, you got a raise at your current job plus new position, or did you get offered a job elsewhere? What happens tuesday?

What power is in you hands now?

if you are a consulting engineer, and you do work for a lot of state/local govts, and you want to be in charge one day, you should get a PE. If you work in state/local govts and you want to be in charge on day, you should get a PE.  If your ok with being a doer, and not neccessarily a seller/principal, then you dont neccessarily need it.

That being said, i imagine, everyone wants to keep climbing the latter.
seeing how 60+% of people who take the PE test pass it, this license will eventually become the standard.

Just like it's completely expected for virtually anyone to have a high school diploma, i think it's safe to say that engineers will be soon be expected to have the license (in my state, you can't legally call yourself an engineer without the license)

I work for a state DOT. Prep course, exams fees and time off were all at my cost. I've known this since I started working there so it didn't matter to me. As far as raises goes, that's a big NO in my State; they did away with raises almost six years ago. My Department head did look out for me and left a PE supervisor position opened in my group, there are no guarantees since all positions are open but I do feel I have then inside track. I guess it's all about what you enjoy working on.

seeing how 60+% of people who take the PE test pass it, this license will eventually become the standard.

Just like it's completely expected for virtually anyone to have a high school diploma, i think it's safe to say that engineers will be soon be expected to have the license (in my state, you can't legally call yourself an engineer without the license)
disagree.

I work at a large firm in NYC, have lots of friends at major competitors.  A lot of "engineers" dont have PE's.  The simple fact is, that unless you are ACTUALLY the one SIGNING the drawings, you dont need it.  So from a firms perspective, why do i want to pay these guys a premium for something that isnt needed?  This thread is proof, most of folks passing are getting no love and support from their firms.

No raise/bonus/perks for me.  I have over 20 years of experience and just took the exam now (passed).  Funny because I am pretty maxed out - the PE is more or less a personal goal just to prove myself.  I am ready to move on to something else (operations/logistics).

i'm confused, you got a raise at your current job plus new position, or did you get offered a job elsewhere? What happens tuesday?

What power is in you hands now?
-Read the first sentence after -Nope-... The opportunity around the time I took the PE is the job I accepted.  This has been in the pipeline for a while, as most jobs worth even taking a look at are.

-Last day at this job

-What power? The power to not GAF cause I have another, much better opportunity.  If you worked where I currently do and experienced the pompasity and hubris, you'd see exactly what I mean.

I have no idea if I have something coming or not. I did well on my performance appraisal...

I have an MBA, BSME, and Now a P.E. I think I'm going to be maxed out pretty soon since I made $90k before passing. May have to hunt for something with more vacation or better benefits.... we shall see.

I have no idea if I have something coming or not. I did well on my performance appraisal...I have an MBA, BSME, and Now a P.E. I think I'm going to be maxed out pretty soon since I made $90k before passing. May have to hunt for something with more vacation or better benefits.... we shall see.
What role do you play in the company? I'm trying to brainstorm a few career ideas now that I am a PE.

I have no idea if I have something coming or not. I did well on my performance appraisal...I have an MBA, BSME, and Now a P.E. I think I'm going to be maxed out pretty soon since I made $90k before passing. May have to hunt for something with more vacation or better benefits.... we shall see.
What role do you play in the company? I'm trying to brainstorm a few career ideas now that I am a PE.

disagree.

I work at a large firm in NYC, have lots of friends at major competitors.  A lot of "engineers" dont have PE's.  The simple fact is, that unless you are ACTUALLY the one SIGNING the drawings, you dont need it.  So from a firms perspective, why do i want to pay these guys a premium for something that isnt needed?  This thread is proof, most of folks passing are getting no love and support from their firms.
Well the firm would now bill you at a higher rate to clients and likely higher than your actual hourly rate after the multiplier. A PE is certainly billing at a higher rate than any 5-10% raise you might get for passing.

Well the firm would now bill you at a higher rate to clients and likely higher than your actual hourly rate after the multiplier. A PE is certainly billing at a higher rate than any 5-10% raise you might get for passing.
negative.  Billed rates (i.e fully loaded rates) are a product of a contractually agreed upon multiplier.  Base rate X multiplier = billed rate to client.  Unless i get a raise to my base rate, the billed rate remains the same.

No names will be posted! You can add company info in your replies at your own risk :)

Hopefully I set this up correctly but you should be able to select multiple answers on the last question. 

Just a curiosity poll on how our companies are rewarding folks after becoming a PE.

I don't want to be the first to answer in here so I'll wait until some results come in :)

I appologize in advance if it gives you problems and for getting picky about adding decimals )5% and 5.01%, etc)... Didn't want to leave anyone having more than one choice.
Why does question 3 re-ask the questions from 1 and 2? 

Why does question 3 re-ask the questions from 1 and 2? 
It isn't re-asking, due to the nature of the poll there's was no other way to gauge whether folks were getting both a raise and a bonus or just one of them.

You can see that at this point 36 voted no raise, 47 voted no bonus, but only 11+13 voted they not both no raise and no bonus based on if the class was paid for or not (also only 10+3 voted they got both). 

The poll was made to hide folks individual answers so there is no other way to see across the board if folks were getting both, none or just one of the benefits.

Back