Did you get a raise / bonus / perks after getting your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any extra perks you gained?

• Promotion?

Votes: 52 25.1%
  • Extra Vacation or PTO?

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Moved from Cubicle to Office?

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • More expenses paid for? (phone bill, travel, tolls, etc...)

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • NA - Use if none of these answers apply

Votes: 148 71.5%

• Total voters
My pay increase is 22% back paid to the day I get my license issued. As you can imagine, I am thrilled that the California board is going to take 12-14 weeks to issue my license. It was 8 weeks to the day yesterday I submitted my exam verification and paperwork and I got the email this past Tuesday saying they would issue my license in 4-6 weeks. Yes I am whining and bitter. Losing almost $400 a week while I am waiting.

I ended up taking the job with a 58% pay increase. The job is less stressful and much less red tape to get things done. Time is precious, make sure you're getting the most out of it.
Congrats! It sounds like it was the right move. I hope you're enjoying it!

Indeed. Often times it's as simple as the company in question not wanting to assume the additional liability that comes with having a PE on staff. My point being, some people simply just expect a raise without considering all these relevant aspects.
I expect a raise just for being really, really, really, ridiculously good looking.

I'll throw my two cents in.

My company also doesn't really "care" or have a need for licensed engineers; (paraphrasing HR) "None of engineering jobs required the PE, so we don't care if you have it."

However, I have noticed every promotional Engineering job I applied for within my company, I received an instant offer. It seems HR doesn't care, but the hiring manager does. They seem to hold PEs at a higher level of awesomeness (which is true, not bias). Every time an Engineering Manager saw PE, they feel they won the lotto.

Its like going to an interview where engineers had to dig a hole. Some Engineers had shovels, some Engineers had spoons, but PEs come rolling in with a backhoe.

In short: You may not get the instant raise or promotion, but it DEFINITELY opens a lot doors and makes promotions come way easier.

Food for thought.

^^True dat.  I feel like with the PE, my company-itself isn't going to give me a raise anytime soon, but the PE has made me more 'professional' as in, I'm getting put in charge of more projects and I was invited to a huge PM-meeting they're having later this year (even though I'm technically a grade too low/just below the cut)?  Also, I have heard I'm getting a promotion soon, so I'd be the same level as someone who is older than me, mostly due to my PE.  Which is good, but I have mixed thoughts on this?

Applying to state jobs, FYI, has become very easy with the PE.  Even if I don't know the engineering work, per se, they know that a PE means I'll learn it somehow.

Most of the state/county/city jobs I applied to, at the mid and senior level positions where the good/decently competitive pay can be found, had the PE as a requirement for the position. And to be chief, one is required to be a Civil PE which is why I'm going back for more. I wouldn't say they hand out jobs just because of the PE but it definitely thins the herd. Not that public works is as sexy as, say, consulting engineering. They (public agencies) seem to have a hard time appealing to young-ish engineers.

I wish I would have found this thread before the exam. I argued a lot with my company that I should not have to take PTO for exam day. They wouldn't budge.

We get a $3,000 pre-tax bonus.

I'll update once I actually get my raise/promotion, but from previous co-workers it seems like it should be around 10%.

Back