Did you get a raise / bonus / perks after getting your PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any extra perks you gained?

• Promotion?

Votes: 52 25.1%
  • Extra Vacation or PTO?

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Moved from Cubicle to Office?

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • More expenses paid for? (phone bill, travel, tolls, etc...)

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • NA - Use if none of these answers apply

Votes: 148 71.5%

• Total voters
Wanted to let all of you know that I am currently hiring for multiple civil engineering roles at a few of the top firms in the Southeast (TN, AL, GA, etc.). If any of you are interested in making a move or are open to new opportunitites/know someone that does - feel free to direct message me and we can talk more.

Wanted to let all of you know that I am currently hiring for multiple civil engineering roles at a few of the top firms in the Southeast (TN, AL, GA, etc.). If any of you are interested in making a move or are open to new opportunitites/know someone that does - feel free to direct message me and we can talk more.
There's a job posting thread that may help!

My company reimburses one time for the exam/application fees, up to $750 for study materials or a review course, and 8 hrs for the day of the test.  No bonus, but company policy says I will be eligible for a one time $50/week salary increase after my license certification is submitted.  This will be slightly more than a 4% raise for me.

I work for an environmental/transportation consulting firm and licensure is expected and required for advancement beyond a certain level.

Utility company requires it for senior or engineering management.

i got 15% bump and promo to senior.

9 years experience with same company, started as a hand in the field and worked my way up.

disagree.

I work at a large firm in NYC, have lots of friends at major competitors.  A lot of "engineers" dont have PE's.  The simple fact is, that unless you are ACTUALLY the one SIGNING the drawings, you dont need it.  So from a firms perspective, why do i want to pay these guys a premium for something that isnt needed?  This thread is proof, most of folks passing are getting no love and support from their firms.
NYC is probably like that for the most part.  

When I started studying for the PE exam, my company didn't say anything about a possibly bonus or raise - but I got both once I passed.  Plus, it just seemed to give a level of credibility - that's what I noticed.  It helped me get a promotion a few years later - which was awesome. 

I passed Oct '17.  To date all I have received is $50 in cash from my boss to go take my wife out to dinner and a call from the company president congratulating me.  Beyond that nothing has changed, I still work in a cubical making the same money. 

My annual review is coming up which will include any compensation adjustments, should know pretty soon if its time to start looking to make a move somewhere else.

I passed Oct '17.  To date all I have received is $50 in cash from my boss to go take my wife out to dinner and a call from the company president congratulating me.  Beyond that nothing has changed, I still work in a cubical making the same money. 

My annual review is coming up which will include any compensation adjustments, should know pretty soon if its time to start looking to make a move somewhere else.
Obtaining a PE license does not always automatically qualify you to get a raise with an employer. Often times, you'll have to personally demonstrate to your management why you deserve a raise and what added value you are bringing to the company. It becomes even more difficult if you really aren't utilizing your PE license seal drawings and such.

Obtaining a PE license does not always automatically qualify you to get a raise with an employer. Often times, you'll have to personally demonstrate to your management why you deserve a raise and what added value you are bringing to the company. It becomes even more difficult if you really aren't utilizing your PE license seal drawings and such.
This is very true.  I'm stuck in a tough place, I don't feel as though my "position description" includes a license or requirement to seal drawings.  The next level up "strongly encourages" obtaining a license.  But, due to the timing of testing in October, and getting the pass in December, with our annual salary and position adjustment in November/Early December, I just missed out on a position adjustment (I got my notice the Thursday before the results came out) and thusly missed a (larger) salary adjustment.  So, do I perform above my pay grade and seal drawings, or do I wait until they move me to a position that includes that responsibility.  Eh.  It's just money. 

LMAO...Idk if I would have been happy for the free meal or would have thrown that money back at my boss. Really hope you get a raise during your review! Always feel obtaining a PE license should be rewarded monetarily even if by a little pay bump. For most, you literally put your life on hold during the study process. If not... dust off the resume and iron your tie if you are looking for a pay increase

Why? If said person with a newly obtained PE license isn't providing any added value to the employer, then where's the justification for a pay increase?
Because there is virtually no way adding a PE to a team doesn't add value unless you work in an exempt field. Adds value in marketing the company (e.g. +1 PE's on staff), optics to clients in correspondence, etc. If a company doesn't want to give you at least reimbursement for taking the exam and a modest one time bonus for time commitment in becoming a PE, I'd not advertise I was a PE on any client correspondence, marketing material, etc. That way if they saw no value in the PE, then I would be assured there wouldn't be any residual value earned from me. Then I would find a job that needed that value to gain additional compensation. 

Because there is virtually no way adding a PE to a team doesn't add value unless you work in an exempt field. Adds value in marketing the company (e.g. +1 PE's on staff), optics to clients in correspondence, etc. If a company doesn't want to give you at least reimbursement for taking the exam and a modest one time bonus for time commitment in becoming a PE, I'd not advertise I was a PE on any client correspondence, marketing material, etc. That way if they saw no value in the PE, then I would be assured there wouldn't be any residual value earned from me. Then I would find a job that needed that value to gain additional compensation. 
Indeed. Often times it's as simple as the company in question not wanting to assume the additional liability that comes with having a PE on staff. My point being, some people simply just expect a raise without considering all these relevant aspects.

Indeed. Often times it's as simple as the company in question not wanting to assume the additional liability that comes with having a PE on staff. My point being, some people simply just expect a raise without considering all these relevant aspects.
That's true, almost like a "participation trophy" type raise

My resume is being used for the first time in marketing material for a specific building type - so i should get a raise during reviews next month, right????? :p  

So a little update... I've probably only received 10% increase over the last two years at my current company. Things are getting stagnant. More responsibility, but now it's going towards management instead of actually doing the engineering work. However, I was approached recently, at another company, to have my pay increased by 50-100% from what I'm making now. Supposedly less stressful and more rewarding. Completely blown away. Since they have no idea what I make, I told the hiring manager "I think I can work with that range of salary". Wish me luck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So a little update... I've probably only received 10% increase over the last two years at my current company. Things are getting stagnant. More responsibility, but now it's going towards management instead of actually doing the engineering work. However, I was approached recently, at another company, to have my pay increased by 50-100% from what I'm making now. Supposedly less stressful and more rewarding. Completely blown away. Since they have no idea what I make, I told the hiring manager "I think I can work with that range of salary". Wish me luck. 
What ended up happening? I'm so curious!

Back