Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gator Bowl takes FSU, Clemson falls to the Music City Bowl. I'm sorry Clemson fans, you got robbed. I knew it was going to happen, but it still sucks. Clemson played a hell of a game last night, FSU has looked terrible most of the season and they get rewarded with a good bowl game and Clemson gets the shaft. That's crap.

I'm pissed, I only ask that Penn State and :wv: can get bowls so that I have two games to get psyched up for....... but they are both at the exact same freakin' time.

You gotta be kiddin' me.

I cannot understand the reason for the Tebow Haters Club. The kid is a class act and it is not his fault the exposition he got. What is wrong with a kid that wears black eyes with bible verses? Maybe that is the problem...Isn't it? In a society and a culture that idolizes...well...you all know what, that kind of athlete has no place.

I doubt he will make a career in the NFL. He has so many flaws in his technique as a QB, does not have the arm strnght of a Pro QB, and will not be able to run as he did in college. But as a college player I think he is very good.

I am wondering what is wrong with this. Payton and Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Tyler Hansbrough...to mention a few, have legions of haters and as far as I can see those guys are a credit for their sports and their teams. Maybe what we want to see is an athlete with with more tatoos showing guns and naked women. :dunno:

I saw the reaction of a group eating at a table when Tebow was knocked out in KY and have to say I was surprised. Those guys screamed with joy and had High Fives while the kid was unconcious in the ground and yelled insults to the screen. One of them even yelled..."You are going to die a virgin idiot"...Again... :dunno:

After watching Texas playing Nebraska I think Alabama will be too much for them. Only the Longhorns WR Shipley will be a real problem for the Tides and after that they have nothing to match Alabama's team. Alabama's Julius Jones has been really inconsistent and you never know what Jones will play. The Heisman Trophy winner(I concur with JR), Ingram, is a super player and did not see something even close in the Texas team. The only position Texas has some advantage is at the QB position but the media said the same about the McElroy vs Tebow matchup and you all know the result. I hope it is not a blow out, that would be boring, but it may happen.

Just to stir the pot....College football needs a playoff system. This season there is no so much controversy but it was one second away from happening. Ask Colt McCoy about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time you have media saturation of an athlete (or any person, for that matter), you are going to have people who idolize them and people who hate them. I don't really have an explanation for why that happens, but it's pretty much a law of nature. It's somewhat easier to explain in sports because if the media darling plays for a team you like, you'll love them. If they play for a rival team, you are going to hate them. I don't like Tebow because he is the QB for a team that beat one of my favorite teams last season (Alabama in the SEC Champ. game). That being said, I was rooting for him in the UK game because I hate UK more than I hate Tebow or Florida.

I kinda like Tom Brady, indifferent towards Eli, but absolutely hate Peyton Manning. Peyton was part of a Tennessee Vols team that came to Louisville and committed one of the most classless acts I have ever seen in a college game. They ran through the U of L band when they took the field when the band wasn't really in their way. It was retarded. It doesn't help that he plays for my Titans divisional rival, and I've heard that off the football field, he is a complete moron.

BTW, I don't think you are stirring controversy by suggesting a college football playoff system. Damn near everybody except those that profit from the bowl system agree that a playoff system is needed.

Any time you have media saturation of an athlete (or any person, for that matter), you are going to have people who idolize them and people who hate them. I don't really have an explanation for why that happens, but it's pretty much a law of nature. It's somewhat easier to explain in sports because if the media darling plays for a team you like, you'll love them. If they play for a rival team, you are going to hate them. I don't like Tebow because he is the QB for a team that beat one of my favorite teams last season (Alabama in the SEC Champ. game). That being said, I was rooting for him in the UK game because I hate UK more than I hate Tebow or Florida.
I kinda like Tom Brady, indifferent towards Eli, but absolutely hate Peyton Manning. Peyton was part of a Tennessee Vols team that came to Louisville and committed one of the most classless acts I have ever seen in a college game. They ran through the U of L band when they took the field when the band wasn't really in their way. It was retarded. It doesn't help that he plays for my Titans divisional rival, and I've heard that off the football field, he is a complete moron.

BTW, I don't think you are stirring controversy by suggesting a college football playoff system. Damn near everybody except those that profit from the bowl system agree that a playoff system is needed.
I used to live in Chattanooga,TN and went several times to the University of Knoxville swimming complex with one of my kids. Payton Manning is not the most popular guy there and, you are right, legend says he has no class as a person. Heard some stories about P. Manning's adventures when he was a student there.

About Tim Tebow, have to say I like the kid. I am a Vols fan(deep inside) and the Gators have beaten them the last few years. But followed Tim Tebow's career and was impressed with him. Even my wife and daughter were fans. My oldest son always was looking at the bible the verses he put in the black eyes.

That hate feeling is not that rare. I used to be the same when I was a kid with the players of my hometown's rival teams. As I grew up learned to appreciate the abilities and talents of all the players regardless of their team. Maybe the fact that I follow college football without any clear favorite has something to do with the fact that I have no players in my Hate Club. I do have a few at the Pro level but those are really classless or really stupid guys(Owens, Ochocinco, Cutler, Favre) This last one I used to like until he decided he was bigger than football.

I like Tim Tebow and felt bad rooting against him and Florida. I just needed Alabama to win to help Texas' ranking. But then I was dismayed to learn that Alabama's Mark Ingram was nominated for the Heisman. So, this threw a kink in my wishes, because Alabama's win helps Ingram, and might hurt Colt McCoy's run for the trophy. Oh, the drama.

I hate the Florida Gators with a passion.

The fact that he's a quarterback makes me hate Tim Tebow any more. It sickens me that the media plays such favorites, that Heisman considerations are almost never awarded by merit or statistics, but rather, by popularity. For once in my life, I just want to see that pure, shut-down corner who busts his ass game after game get the trophy.

I can guarantee you, all the northern schools would much rather play in the rain, mud, and snow and have home field advantage than to play in front of a seriously hostile crowd. It's not as though the coaches from B10 schools would actually let them go out and do anything fun before the game anyways.
Actually, in my experience, both teams at a bowl game pretty much have their schedule set by the bowl committee. They typically have events planned all week and both teams participate in them. And I can guarantee that neither team will be doing anything during that week except practice and whatever events are scheduled. The coaches lock them down completely.

I find this thread funny, because I thought it was a shame that Oregon was getting into the Rose Bowl, I think just the opposite than the rest on here. I think Ohio State is a good deal better than Oregon as long as T Pryor plays decent.
Oregon hasn't seen a defense like Ohio State's yet.

Plus, Why aren't you guys in the EB.com college pick em's eh??? We need more people next year.
I think Buckeye Fans are in for a very rude awakening. Oregon's style of offense loves a traditional big defense.

I have no dog in this hunt. I hate Oregon and would love to see them embarrassed on TV, in the Rose Bowl, I just don't think Ohio State is the matchup for that to happen.

The way to stop that Zone Read Option running play is for very quick interior line penetration, which is sort of difficult to do consistently. But you cannot over persue or you risk tackling the wrong player. Masoli is extremely shifty for a QB, not great top end, but he makes people miss, repeatedly, but he can also be lax with the ball. LaMicheal James is stronger than he looks and has breathtaking top end. LaGarrett "Donkey Punch" Blount will spell him and is a FB with WR top speed, and presents some different challenges.

Now on the other side, the Buckeyes can score on Oregon, what they have to do is control the ball and pound them up the middle. that is where they are soft.

Really I think the only way Ohio State wins is if Masoli doesn't play for some reason.

I cannot understand the reason for the Tebow Haters Club. The kid is a class act and it is not his fault the exposition he got. What is wrong with a kid that wears black eyes with bible verses? Maybe that is the problem...Isn't it? In a society and a culture that idolizes...well...you all know what, that kind of athlete has no place.
I doubt he will make a career in the NFL. He has so many flaws in his technique as a QB, does not have the arm strnght of a Pro QB, and will not be able to run as he did in college. But as a college player I think he is very good.

I am wondering what is wrong with this. Payton and Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Tyler Hansbrough...to mention a few, have legions of haters and as far as I can see those guys are a credit for their sports and their teams. Maybe what we want to see is an athlete with with more tatoos showing guns and naked women. :dunno:

I saw the reaction of a group eating at a table when Tebow was knocked out in KY and have to say I was surprised. Those guys screamed with joy and had High Fives while the kid was unconcious in the ground and yelled insults to the screen. One of them even yelled..."You are going to die a virgin idiot"...Again... :dunno:

Just to stir the pot....College football needs a playoff system. This season there is no so much controversy but it was one second away from happening. Ask Colt McCoy about it.
I will be one of the first to admit I don't like Tebow. He may be an upstanding student & a good college QB, but the fact that he's slapped all over ESPN like he's a god makes me not like him. In fact, any time ESPN gets a hard-on for any one team or player, I tend to not like them. Over-saturation of anything typically turns me against it. It's like that "next big music hit" that seems to play endlessly for about a month. Yeah, it was good the first time I saw/heard it, but there's no need to idolize it like it's the only thing out there.

I do agree that a playoff in college football is necessary. In my eyes, there is something wrong with picking a championship game based off of power-rankings (no matter how high-tech you make it). Playoffs is what makes each of the pro sports as well as march madness so great. It's just as much about the unbeatens as it is about the cinderella's. I see no problem crowing a national champion who has 2-3 losses...

The only problem with the playoff system is that instead of "who's the top 2" it ends up being "who's the top 4" and "why didn't ____ make the playoffs?". It just moves the argument down the ladder.

Last edited:
Now on the other side, the Buckeyes can score on Oregon, what they have to do is control the ball and pound them up the middle. that is where they are soft.

That's the plus for Ohio State. The two things they do well are control the ball and run up the gut. They've got two up-the-middle running backs, and a QB who is fast enough to sprint for easy 1st downs on short-mid yardage. Couple that with some decent corners, and I think Oregon has the potential to become frustrated easily on offense.

Oregon probably should win this game, but I think it will be closer than the critics think. Just look at how close OSU/Texas was last year, when in all honesty, Texas should have annihilated them.

OSU = :puke:

Tressel is a masterchoker and will never win a big bowl game - he's already got what he cared about (B10 champion) - At least UofM (once upon a time anyways), shows up to play in the bigger bowl games - Dick Rod will likely be gone (hopefully) before next year's bowl games are discussed

Tressel is a masterchoker and will never win a big bowl game - he's already got what he cared about (B10 champion) - At least UofM (once upon a time anyways), shows up to play in the bigger bowl games - Dick Rod will likely be gone (hopefully) before next year's bowl games are discussed
(OSU already has several big bowl wins, including a national championship against Miami.)

That aside, he needs to restructure the offense on that team to adapt with the times. Same goes for Penn State. Can't just run the ball and expect to win games that way anymore.

(OSU already has several big bowl wins, including a national championship against Miami.)

That aside, he needs to restructure the offense on that team to adapt with the times. Same goes for Penn State. Can't just run the ball and expect to win games that way anymore.
Under Tressel?

Penn St has adapted - I think Darryl Clark (sp?) is the best QB in the B10. Prior really picked the wrong conference to develop in sync w/ what he brings to the table. Not to be too biased, but he shoulda picked UofM. I think Dick Rod would let him use his talents more than Tressel's conservative ways.

OSU = :puke: That aside, he needs to restructure the offense on that team to adapt with the times. Same goes for Penn State. Can't just run the ball and expect to win games that way anymore.
man, you need to catch some more games, Penn State adopted the "HD Offense" a couple years back and run the spread, and are more passing than running.

Penn St has adapted - I think Darryl Clark (sp?) is the best QB in the B10. Prior really picked the wrong conference to develop in sync w/ what he brings to the table. Not to be too biased, but he shoulda picked UofM. I think Dick Rod would let him use his talents more than Tressel's conservative ways.
You're right, Penn State adapted well... but need a better QB the two bad games that Clark had, PSU lost them both. They needed the stronger running game when he was doing bad and didn"t have it

Tressel is a masterchoker and will never win a big bowl game

Masoli is held to 86 yards passing on the game, and Ohio State's defense shuts down Oregon's speed for a 9 point Rose Bowl victory. Terrell Pryor takes game MVP with more offensive yards than the Oregon team combined.

To the 75% of pollers who voted for Oregon, all I have to say is:

O-H-I-O!

Big 10 is looking good in bowl games so far. They've beaten the SEC, Pac 10, ACC, and Northwestern nearly pulled off an upset against Auburn.

Northwestern blew two makeable field goals for Auburn to sneak out with that one. Although in OT, it appeared the refs really wanted to give NW a chance. Almost looked TOO funny.

Northwestern blew two makeable field goals for Auburn to sneak out with that one. Although in OT, it appeared the refs really wanted to give NW a chance. Almost looked TOO funny.

I kind of rolled my eyes at the roughing the kicker call, and I remember wrinkling my brow at whatever call was right before that one.

What was with the officiating in the PSU game? Went from first to fourth down, and back to second down at the end of an intentional grounding call :screwloose:

I find this thread funny, because I thought it was a shame that Oregon was getting into the Rose Bowl, I think just the opposite than the rest on here. I think Ohio State is a good deal better than Oregon as long as T Pryor plays decent.
Oregon hasn't seen a defense like Ohio State's yet.

Plus, Why aren't you guys in the EB.com college pick em's eh??? We need more people next year.
Quoted myself for the fun of it. :D

T Pryor played decent. I hate Ohio State, but.......

GO PENN STATE !!!! (We pulled one out, too bad :wv: couldn't)

Back