Countdown to Football Season!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last time GT beat a top 5 ranked team was 1962, they beat Alabama.. guess who the QB was for Alabama?.

Joe Nameth
Well I know that's not completely accurate b/c I remember beating #3 ranked Miami in 2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?confId...ameId=253232390

And Georgia Tech beat #1 Virginia in 1990 and went on to win a National Championship that year.

Both of those games were on the road however, I do remember hearing someone saying that it has been a long time since GT has beaten a top 5 team at home. Maybe that's what you are thinking of.

thats right,. at home.. i usually dont listen to stupid stats on the radio, but thought the Joe Nameth connection was interesting...

Yes, it was a big win, but we go to Virginia this weekend. Tech hasn't won there since the national championship season in 1990. I fully expect us to fall flat on our face this weekend. :\
So RW, are you a Clemson fan this weekend? You really need Miami to take another loss.

So RW, are you a Clemson fan this weekend? You really need Miami to take another loss.
Yes I'm a Clemson Fan this weekend. It would be a big help if Miami would lose, but Tech still needs to win out to stand much hope of going to the ACCCG. I am not convinced Tech won't find a way to F that up even though on paper their in conference schedule from here out shouldn't pose much of a problem. Georgia Tech has a nasty habit of losing to Virginia at Virginia. We haven't beaten them on the road since 1990 when they were ranked #1. Even though they have been terrible we always find a way to lose to them. They lost to William & Mary for fuck sake, but I'm still nervous about this game.

There is another way Tech can make it to the ACC Championship Game without Miami losing. It's kind of like the Texas, Oklahoma, Texes Tech situation last year. We have a similar situation right now in the ACC. Georgia Tech, Miami & Virginia Tech all have one conference loss against one another, if all three teams win their remaining conference games we will have a three way tie and have to go to tie breakers. Miami has the head-to-head tiebreaker over GT, but VT has the tiebreaker over Miami and we have the tiebreaker over VT. My understanding is the next tiebreaker is the dreaded BCS standings. Miami is ahead of Tech there right now, and there isn't much hope of Tech getting ahead of Miami unless Miami loses, but the ACC doesn't purely go by BCS standings. If the top two teams in this situation are within 5 positions of each other in the BCS standings then they flip a coin to see who goes to the championship game. So there is still a chance, albeit a small one, of Tech going to the ACCCG even if Miami doesn't lose.

That being said I'm much rather take the easy route and have Miami lose.

Also Miami, VT and GT aren't tied for the lead in the ACC Coastal, Virgina is in sole possession of first place right now being 2-0 in the ACC. It's unlikely that they will remain undefeated, but for now Virginia is the team to beat.

On a side note. I hate Virginia. They are the worst possible thing that can happen to the ACC. They always look terrible in out of conference games and lose against terrible opponents (William & Mary this season) but then somehow they seem to find a way to win in the ACC making the whole conference look terrible.

On a side note. I hate Virginia. They are the worst possible thing that can happen to the ACC. They always look terrible in out of conference games and lose against terrible opponents (William & Mary this season) but then somehow they seem to find a way to win in the ACC making the whole conference look terrible.
I don't know about that. When it comes to football, North Carolina and Duke are pretty hard to beat in a race to be the most pathetic. But I guess they do contribute to the conference as a whole since the pretty much dominate basketball season. Virginia is pretty bad at both sports, but not the worst in either.

I don't know about that. When it comes to football, North Carolina and Duke are pretty hard to beat in a race to be the most pathetic. But I guess they do contribute to the conference as a whole since the pretty much dominate basketball season. Virginia is pretty bad at both sports, but not the worst in either.
but at least UNC and Duke have the common decency to roll over during conference play. Yes, they are awful football programs (although every year UNC shows promise and then falls short) but both get beaten pretty handily by in conference opponents. Virginia doesn't do this. Somehow they find a way to lose to out of conference opponents they have no business losing to. They routinely get trounced in there early out of conference games in August and September, then when we get into conference play they start beating decent teams. They do this every year (and they appear to be doing it again this year).

I think Clemson has a chance on Saturday if they play like they did this past weekend against Wake. I'm really hoping there was a change of heart in this team and they have some confidence now. I know everyone will say I'm crazy and I know Clemson is wildly inconsistent but there is a lot of talent on that team. Our losses, excluding the pathetic performance at Maryland, were to top 15 teams and were very close.

I think Clemson has a chance on Saturday if they play like they did this past weekend against Wake. I'm really hoping there was a change of heart in this team and they have some confidence now. I know everyone will say I'm crazy and I know Clemson is wildly inconsistent but there is a lot of talent on that team. Our losses, excluding the pathetic performance at Maryland, were to top 15 teams and were very close.
I thought they were going to beat Georgia Tech a few weeks ago. ;)

Interesting stat, Virgina is 10-1 in the month of October over the last 3 seasons. I really hope GT can make their that record drop to 10-2 this weekend.

Hey, RW, don't forget that the 1990 national championship you keep mentioning was shared.

-Signed,

Alum of the other half of the 1990-national championship teams

Hey, RW, don't forget that the 1990 national championship you keep mentioning was shared.
-Signed,

Alum of the other half of the 1990-national championship teams
you mean that other team that got 5 downs? Your half doesn't count. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a huge Florida fan and I cant recall who they were playing this past week they were such a lesser team, but I watched a Defensive End try and hit Tim Tebow from the front, Tebow gave the DE a stiff arm and was able to get the throw off, it wasn’t completed but it was thrown and the DE ended up on his rear,, In any college level game a DE should never be in a situation where a QB can stiff arm them and put them on their ass… but it was fun to watch..

I'm really hoping the other shoe doesn't drop this year for Clemson. I've been waiting and waiting for it to happen but they seem to be a different team since the loss to Maryland, which still makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Now we have to beat NC State and Virginia and we get to go to our first ACC Championship game, with a 99% chance of playing Georgia Tech again.

Now that Alabama & Florida have been established on a collision course, I wonder what the horrendous SEC officiating that seems to accompany these two teams will do? Suddenly be good? they couldn't get much worse...

Now that Alabama & Florida have been established on a collision course, I wonder what the horrendous SEC officiating that seems to accompany these two teams will do? Suddenly be good? they couldn't get much worse...
SEC officiating has had some World Wrestling Federation flavor this season. I'm waiting for Saban or Urb to hit somebody with a folding chair and the officials to pretend they didn't see it. :15:

yeah the horrible officiating seems almost uniformly in Alabama's or Florida's favor. . .like the 'fix' is in to ensure those two teams meet at SEC championship both being undefeated, with one surely reaching BCS championship undefeated.

Interesting that Florida remained #1 and Alabama moved into #2 knocking Texas to #3.

While I am a Gator fan - I really think the lackluster play for the most part doesn't really make for a #1 ranked team. I really think Alabama or Texas deserves top honors at this point.

Having said that ... I say ... bring on the SEC Championship!!!

JR

P.S. - Dvinny, at least you have Pitt still performing pretty decently! :)

Back