College Football 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the Big 12, but I think that TCU and/or Baylor got utterly shafted by a combination of the selection committee and the Big 12 Commissioner. The bylaws of the Big 12 state that if there are two teams tied for the best record, then the team with the head-to-head victory will be the champion. Well, the Big 12 commish just decided to ignore the rules, and not declare either team the champion. That, coupled with the selection committee taking conference championships into consideration, meant that no Big 12 team made it into the playoff.

I honestly don't know why there can't be a 16, 32, or even 64 team playoff in college football. There are enough weeks between the last conference championship game and the national championship game to have a 128 team playoff with each team only playing one game a week. Give a 2 week break before the championship, and you can easily have a 64 team playoff. Let corporate sponsors pay for each game of the bracket...hell, you can even use existing bowl game names. There would be no loss in revenue, and a more appropriate champion would be crowned.

I don't like the Big 12, but I think that TCU and/or Baylor got utterly shafted by a combination of the selection committee and the Big 12 Commissioner. The bylaws of the Big 12 state that if there are two teams tied for the best record, then the team with the head-to-head victory will be the champion. Well, the Big 12 commish just decided to ignore the rules, and not declare either team the champion. That, coupled with the selection committee taking conference championships into consideration, meant that no Big 12 team made it into the playoff.

I honestly don't know why there can't be a 16, 32, or even 64 team playoff in college football. There are enough weeks between the last conference championship game and the national championship game to have a 128 team playoff with each team only playing one game a week. Give a 2 week break before the championship, and you can easily have a 64 team playoff. Let corporate sponsors pay for each game of the bracket...hell, you can even use existing bowl game names. There would be no loss in revenue, and a more appropriate champion would be crowned.
And when are they supposed to study for finals?

Yea, outside the big football factory schools many of these players aren't going pro, I don't think it's in the best interest for the players to have them play a bunch of extra games.

I'd be for cutting out the cupcake games that most schools play and expanding the playoff by a few more teams. But I really don't think you need to have anything bigger then an 8 team playoff. I don't think the teams outside the top 10 really aren't going to be much of a factor anyway.

Yea, outside the big football factory schools many of these players aren't going pro, I don't think it's in the best interest for the players to have them play a bunch of extra games.
I'd be for cutting out the cupcake games that most schools play and expanding the playoff by a few more teams. But I really don't think you need to have anything bigger then an 8 team playoff. I don't think the teams outside the top 10 really aren't going to be much of a factor anyway.
If you cut out the cupcake games, what would be left for people to rip on the big 10? lol

Just because some schools have some actual "student athletes" doesn't mean that their school or the NCAA gives a shit about them graduating. College football equals MONEY. That's all the schools or the NCAA care about, including "good" schools like Vandy or Northwestern. Look at UAB. They weren't making any money off football, so they shut the program down. Every single other school is making money off football, either through bonuses from bowl games or just residuals from TV contracts for the conference. The "student athlete" and the "corporate sponsorship of bowl games" are the only two arguments I ever hear against a large CFB playoff, and they are both Grade A BS.

Yes, most college football programs make money, that doesn't mean that the players aren't also students and the vast majority don't go on to make a profession out of football.

Last edited by a moderator:
FSU equals football factory. He is also one of the few players that will likely go pro, despite his performance new years day. 95% of the players don't go pro and thus making them play as though they are is the wrong thing to do. I'd like to see fewer games but more meaningful games.

When the Cannot Take This Crap Anymore Bowl will finish?

It seems like there is a "bowl" game every night. Come on...Birmingham Bowl? Go Daddy Bowl?

I hope the last one is the championship game. It is going to be a good one.

Yes, most college football programs make money, that doesn't mean that the players aren't also students and the vast majority don't go on to make a profession out of football.

pretty much, there were plenty of football players taking some pretty dang hard classes with me back in the day. You could always tell it was them because there were white vans that would drive them around campus that said "paid for by the proceeds of the 1999 Orange Bowl"

my wife finished up her degree back in May, and had some Auburn football players (several big name players included) in one of her classes. she came home with some stories.....

I lived in the same dorm, worked out in the training room, ate in the same cafeteria, spent time in the same study hall, etc... as the football players back in the day. Most are "just passing" and dreaming of the NFL. Others are having tutors do their homework, write their papers, "help them" complete their take-home tests. Some actually care about their classes, but then there are those puddin' heads who only see the dollar signs.

I lived in the same dorm, worked out in the training room, ate in the same cafeteria, spent time in the same study hall, etc... as the football players back in the day. Most are "just passing" and dreaming of the NFL. Others are having tutors do their homework, write their papers, "help them" complete their take-home tests. Some actually care about their classes, but then there are those puddin' heads who only see the dollar signs.

probably depends on the school... that's how certain basketball players were at Syracuse, but most of the football players were cool

I remember when Tebow was still in Florida ESPN, or some TV network, did an interview about life as a student.

Tebow mentioned something about the last class he needed to graduate and which one he selected. Was something about Youth Athletic Philosophy or something like that. The interviewer mentioned that Matt Leinart said that he took Ballroom Dancing as a class to be able to graduate. Tebow laughed and said he would have failed even when that class was much easier than the one he took.

But it brings the question. What kind of degree requires Ballroom Dancing as a requisite for graduation?

I remember when Tebow was still in Florida ESPN, or some TV network, did an interview about life as a student.

Tebow mentioned something about the last class he needed to graduate and which one he selected. Was something about Youth Athletic Philosophy or something like that. The interviewer mentioned that Matt Leinart said that he took Ballroom Dancing as a class to be able to graduate. Tebow laughed and said he would have failed even when that class was much easier than the one he took.

But it brings the question. What kind of degree requires Ballroom Dancing as a requisite for graduation?
Would you have wanted to take ballroom dancing as part of your degree? I don't know what school you went to, but there were no students that I would have wanted add a dance partner.

Those are just electives to stretch guys into playing as 5th year seniors. OCCASIONALLY, you will get someone doing that with Master's classes.

You could probably fit Ballroom Dancing into an Engineering curriculum.

Just like I took the History of Rock and Roll music to meet an elective.

It was an option for me, however I chose History of American Film to meet that requisite ("Fine Arts" or something like that) IIRC ballroom dancing also could be used to fulfill a Phys Ed requirement

Back