College Football 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the Boise loss to Nevada earlier this year, but how the hell does Bama manage to botch that game?!

Come on Oregon State and SC!

I wonder who my Buckeyes will end up playing now that Wisconsin is a lock for the Rose Bowl?

My BCS Bowl Predictions:

NCG

Oregon v. Auburn

Rose

TCU v. Wisconsin

Fiesta

Ohio State v. Stanford

Sugar

Arkansas v. Oklahoma

Orange

West Virginia v. Virginia Tech

I think that both LSU and Michigan State are getting screwed by the rule limiting the BCS to only two teams from each conference and automatic bids to the winners of the Big East and ACC.

The BCS is a bastardization of the game anyway. On a positive note, it does limit the amount of commifornia (sp?) influence on the polls.

My BCS Bowl Predictions:
NCG

Oregon v. Auburn

Rose

TCU v. Wisconsin

Fiesta

Ohio State v. Stanford

Sugar

Arkansas v. Oklahoma

Orange

West Virginia v. Virginia Tech

I think that both LSU and Michigan State are getting screwed by the rule limiting the BCS to only two teams from each conference and automatic bids to the winners of the Big East and ACC.
^Is that just a guess? or is there reason behind it?

I would think the Rose would try to get a Stanford-Wisconsin game since it would be a traditional PAC10/BIG10 matchup.

And I think the Fiesta gets last pick since Glendale has the NCG, so it would probably have the WVU (or UConn/Big East) vs. TCU

and, what happens when a 3 or 4 loss Big East or ACC team takes it to TCU in the bowl game? Then does the BCS auto bids from the Big 6 conferences still look attractive?

it will be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the Rose would try to get a Stanford-Wisconsin game since it would be a traditional PAC10/BIG10 matchup.

And I think the Fiesta gets last pick since Glendale has the NCG, so it would probably have the WVU (or UConn/Big East) vs. TCU

and, what happens when a 3 or 4 loss Big East or ACC team takes it to TCU in the bowl game? Then does the BCS auto bids from the Big 6 conferences still look attractive?

it will be interesting.
It's a guess, but based on tradition and some chatter that I picked up off of SportsCenter. Everybody says that Stanford has a great team this year, and they will likely win whichever game they end up in. But the team doesn't travel well, so they aren't expected to get picked by the bowls that get first pick. The Rose Bowl will have the option of Stanford or TCU, and all signs point to them taking TCU.

The Orange Bowl will get the ACC champ, and their choice of the Big East champ or Stanford. If the Rose Bowl doesn't think Stanford will travel well to Pasadena, they sure as hell won't travel well to Miami.

The Sugar Bowl gets the SEC champ, or in this case, 2nd in SEC since the champ will go to the NCG. They then get their pick of what's left. I expect that to either be Oklahoma or Ohio State. Again, they'll have a crack at Stanford, but that produces the same issues. Given Ohio State's track record in BCS bowls, I would expect them to take Oklahoma.

As you pointed out, the Fiesta Bowl gets what is left...Ohio State and Stanford.

it will be interesting.
It's a guess, but based on tradition and some chatter that I picked up off of SportsCenter. Everybody says that Stanford has a great team this year, and they will likely win whichever game they end up in. But the team doesn't travel well, so they aren't expected to get picked by the bowls that get first pick. The Rose Bowl will have the option of Stanford or TCU, and all signs point to them taking TCU.

The Orange Bowl will get the ACC champ, and their choice of the Big East champ or Stanford. If the Rose Bowl doesn't think Stanford will travel well to Pasadena, they sure as hell won't travel well to Miami.

The Sugar Bowl gets the SEC champ, or in this case, 2nd in SEC since the champ will go to the NCG. They then get their pick of what's left. I expect that to either be Oklahoma or Ohio State. Again, they'll have a crack at Stanford, but that produces the same issues. Given Ohio State's track record in BCS bowls, I would expect them to take Oklahoma.

As you pointed out, the Fiesta Bowl gets what is left...Ohio State and Stanford.
The Fiesta Bowl goes to the winner of the Big 12. So I would lean towards Nebraska going to the Fiesta Bowl over ou. If the Cowboys could redo a few bone headed plays, it would be the Cowboys in the Fiesta.

The Fiesta Bowl goes to the winner of the Big 12. So I would lean towards Nebraska going to the Fiesta Bowl over ou. If the Cowboys could redo a few bone headed plays, it would be the Cowboys in the Fiesta.
Touche. I couldn't remember if the Fiesta had any historical commitments. I only remember 2 Fiesta Bowls. One of them was 1991 when it was revealed that Arizona didn't recognize Martin Luther King Day. A bunch of teams boycotted the Fiesta Bowl, and as a result, Louisville ended up beating Alabama. It was the only major bowl Louisville had gotten into until we went to the Orange Bowl a few years ago. The other Fiesta Bowl I remember is when Boise State beat Oklahoma with 3 trick plays on the last drive. That remains my favorite bowl game of the BCS era.

Theres an story on the local papers website which is saying that TCU is moving to the Big East.
I've heard that rumor elsewhere too. I think the Big East is trying to get to 12 teams in order to have a conference championship (which is what the Big 10/11/12 and Pac-10/12 is doing with their acquisitions).

The Big East will now have 17 basketball teams...that's a little ridiculous. We should punt some of the basketball only schools like St. Johns, DePaul, and Seton Hall.

WTF do schools join a conference that is not even remotely near them distance wise?
Big East will get TV and recruiting into Texas. That is big.

The Big East will now have 17 basketball teams...that's a little ridiculous. We should punt some of the basketball only schools like St. Johns, DePaul, and Seton Hall.
Agreed.

TCU accepts invitation to join Big East ConferenceBy Matthew Emmons, US Presswire
The Big East is growing by one. TCU will accept an invitation to join the league in all sports.

The Associated Press learned of the news from a person with direct knowledge of the decision. The story was first reported by AOL Fanhouse.

Texas Christian will move to the Big East for the 2012-13 season. The Horned Frogs, who are currently ranked third in the BCS standings, would leave the Mountain West after next season and start play in the Big East in 2012-13.

In a release, the school says it will have "a major announcement involving the TCU athletics program" at 2 p.m. ET on Monday.

TCU's addition will give the Big East nine football teams and substantially help its bid to retain a BCS berth. Currently, West Virginia is the only ranked team at No. 24, while 7-4 Connecticut leads the league and could secure a BCS berth by beating South Florida on Saturday.

The Horned Frogs would take "all of their data to their new league," BCS spokesman Bill Hancock told FanHouse.

Bringing in the Horned Frogs has some negatives. It now gives the conference 17 teams for basketball and create some travel logistics as Fort Worth is more than 1,500 miles from New York City.

The move is another blow to the Mountain West, which is losing Utah and Brigham Young after this season. It will be bringing in Boise State this fall, and Nevada and Fresno State in 2012. But the departure of TCU, a BCS at-large team for the last two seasons, will hurt.

--Erick Smith

Wow, that's big news for TCU. I kinda wish they'd have been able to get them in to the Big 12. I remember back in the Southwest Conference days, TCU was a whipping-boy football team, but nowadays they sure are not. Wouldn't mind seeing my Aggies gigging frogs again. ;)

Speaking of my Aggies, I see on CNN web site where they're projecting a possible Cotton bowl matchup between A&M and Alabama. Umm... Not feeling too confident about that one. Sure, A&M's on a win streak, but they're still rough around the edges. Definitely not Alabama-beating-caliber. But it'll draw a huge crowd and make lots of money, so I guess that's what it all boils down to anyway...

Speaking of my Aggies, I see on CNN web site where they're projecting a possible Cotton bowl matchup between A&M and Alabama. Umm... Not feeling too confident about that one. Sure, A&M's on a win streak, but they're still rough around the edges. Definitely not Alabama-beating-caliber. But it'll draw a huge crowd and make lots of money, so I guess that's what it all boils down to anyway...
Any team capable of playing 3 quarters of solid football is Alabama-beating-caliber. 'Bama is pretty good at beating the piss out of a team in 1 quarter, then not playing the rest of the game.

I guess I should have mentioned $$$ is the biggest factor, but the fact of the matter is that schools are joining conferences that make no sense! We should just call the conferences "1, 2, 3, and 4" or some sh*t like that.

Back